Thread: Best recoil pad?

Default Best recoil pad?

Spent the day at the range with the kids. My son was shooting his Ruger .270 and was complaining how much harder it was to shoot than my rifle. The pad on his rifle is like a brick compaired to my, and my daughter's, Remingtons.

He wants to put a new butt pad on it. I've never had to replace one so I am looking for the best replacement butt pad. I hear really good things about the Limbsaver ones.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Those older pads that came on Factory rifles, can get reely HARD. (Like a Brick) Might as well have a metal butt plate.

A Pachmahr, Decelerator, would be my choice. It's the best I've used.

Those LimbSavers can be Sticky. Specially, if it's a "grind to fit" one, that gets overheated.

IME, any of them can be somewhat sticky. Lean the gun against the wall with the butt on the carpet, and if it don't stick to the carpet, it will at least have some fibers on it.

I've had, or have, 4 of'em. One, replaced. Another should be. One, I still have some hope for, and one a slip-on. A slip-on, or a ready-made one might be your best bet.

You might better ask over on the Gunsmithing Forum, and see what them Gum Smiths say.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have yet to find one better than a Limbsaver. I know some people complain of stickiness, but I have not experienced that. Mine sit on the "carpet" of the gunsafe year round and don't pull up any fibers or anything. It was not a grind to fit so I can't comment on that. I used the specs in the Midway catalog to find the one closest to my butt-stock then shaped the stock to fit it. But I was custom shaping and finising the stock anyway at the time. It makes my .358 Norma nearly as tolerable as the factory pad on my .270 Remington 700.

I have been extremely pleased with the Limbsaver product. But to qualify my answer, I have never tried the Decelerator. Either should fit your needs. Below are links to both types at Cabela's with a lots of reviews from users on each item.

Pachmayr Pre-Fit Decelerator Recoil Pad System http://www.cabelas.com/stocks-grips-accessories-pachmayr-pre-fit-decelerator-recoil-pad-system-1.shtml

Sims LimbSaver® Screw-In Replacement Recoil Pad http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sims-LimbSaver174-Screw-In-Replacement-Recoil-Pad/742387.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2 Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fs ch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dlimbsaver%2B recoil%2Bpad%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=limbsaver+recoil+pad&WTz_l=Head er%3BSearch-All+Products
    NRA Life Member since 1974

we use OEM Decelrator pads, grind to fit. They differ from the other Decel pads available to the public. If you want to grind your own, they are $30
    Ken
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ken-Wi...10532992360444
    Y'all can watch my antics on Wild West Alaska, Animal Planets new hit show.

I have Decelrators and Limbsavers on my Rifles. To me the Limbsavers have less felt recoil and are all I buy now. I have never noticed any stickyness on the 4 I have.

I've used a good number of Kick-Eez, Pachmayr Decelerator & Limbsaver pads. For shotguns I like Kick-Eez pads a lot. For rifles I favor the Decelerator over the Limbsaver. IMO the Limbsaver is a bit too "gummy" in texture. I do not mean to imply that it is sticky; rather I find it has less structural support than a Decelerator and seems to compress more than I find comfortable. Obviously YMMV.
    Esse quam videri

The Pachmayr decelerator pads are easier to grind(sand) to fit, as the base of the pad is a little softer and the rubber cuts easier on the disc or belt. The limbsavers are harder to get a good finish on the rubber part as they want to "tear" as opposed to "cut" when fitting. I generally charge an extra 10 bucks on the limbsavers, probably not enough, but it makes me feel like its worth the extra effort. Pre-fit pads rarely fit well and a grind to fit will almost always produce a more professional, factory fit looking job.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

If you can find a direct bolt on Limbsaver that us the way I would go. For grind to fit then the pachmeyer is probably the way to go. Both are a huge improvement over stock with the Limbsaver being the mist comfortable to my calibrated shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If you can find a direct bolt on Limbsaver that us the way I would go. For grind to fit then the pachmeyer is probably the way to go. Both are a huge improvement over stock with the Limbsaver being the mist comfortable to my calibrated shoulder.
    You need to compare the OEM decels that we use they are different than the ones readily available to the public.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    You need to compare the OEM decels that we use they are different than the ones readily available to the public.
    Do you have one that would fit the little Rossi .410/22 or 20g/22? I would be in to buy two if you have something that would fit! I have skinny kids and those things are lightweight shoulder punishers with the shotgun barrels!

I have installed 3 of the limbsaver pads that are grind to fit. I like to do them in the winter, I freeze the pad and then grind it outside in the cold using plenty of WD-40. Making sure to take breaks and to not let it warm up while grinding.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

I have a OEM Decelerator on my .340 Wby and a grind-to-fit Limbsaver on my .375 Wby. I had someone do the latter (who also installed a mercury tube in the synthetic stock) for me because it sounded like a frustrating mess to get the grinding done correctly.

Frankly, I like them both about the same. I doubt I could tell the difference just by firing a rifle without looking at the pad. I also use a shoulder pad, however, when I fire those guys very many times in a row. I've also heard that you should not leave a Limbsaver pressing against carpet for long periods. Since I intentionally have not done that, I have no idea how big of a problem that is, and mine at 18 months of age is as good as new.

If one of those came pre-fitted for a rifle I had, and the other one didn't, I would pick the one that worked out of the box. Otherwise, I think they both work very well. If I had to say, I probably slightly prefer the Limbsaver. But they're both good.

+1 Limbsaver.....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Do you have one that would fit the little Rossi .410/22 or 20g/22? I would be in to buy two if you have something that would fit! I have skinny kids and those things are lightweight shoulder punishers with the shotgun barrels!
    They come in three sizes and I should have all three
    Ken

The colder it gets, the harder those "gummy" pads get, so decide when you'll need the padding the most.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    The colder it gets, the harder those "gummy" pads get, so decide when you'll need the padding the most.
    But IMO, they're mainly for range work. If they were made of stone, you won't notice it in the field.

+1 for the limb saver.... very comfortable, even on the 338 lapua....