Thread: First time moose hunting, advice please!

Default First time moose hunting, advice please!

Just trying to get an idea of where to go, what to bring, and what the best times to go are. Anything will help, and it is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Go to Alaska bring a gun fairly large one late aug-end of sept unit dependant....

Really with the little info you gave you probably arent going to get any serious advice. How about your budget, DIY or guided fly in drop off, float trip... are you a resident do you have an ATV where is your current location. And asking less than a week before the season starts in most of the state probably isnt a great start unless you are planning for 2010...

I was going to suggest Eureka on September 1st. Wear bright orange.

However Bsj425 has a much better answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Go to Alaska bring a gun fairly large one late aug-end of sept unit dependant....

Really with the little info you gave you probably arent going to get any serious advice. How about your budget, DIY or guided fly in drop off, float trip... are you a resident do you have an ATV where is your current location. And asking less than a week before the season starts in most of the state probably isnt a great start unless you are planning for 2010...
    If he's planning for 2010 then he better have a time machine too.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    If he's planning for 2010 then he better have a time machine too.
    My 20/20 hind sight hunting skills are legendary, so having a good 2010 is easy.......and fool proof.

Quote Originally Posted by nberra0311 View Post
    Just trying to get an idea of where to go,

unit 13, non motorized area on the north side of the highway.

what to bring,

see the gear list posted last week
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ent-and-notes.

and what the best times to go are.

be up and looking about an hour before sunrise. go while the season is open. spend your days watching rather than walking around - cover ground with your eyes not your feet.

Anything will help, and it is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    dont go alone. take someone that has taken a couple moose.

Quote Originally Posted by nberra0311 View Post
    Just trying to get an idea of where to go, what to bring, and what the best times to go are. Anything will help, and it is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Berra,

It's hard to answer this question without knowing more about you and what you're looking for. Trophy expectations? Meat hunt? Resident? Non resident? Float hunt or drop camp? Fly-out or road-based? Budget? Which year? Tons of gaps to fill in here.

If you're completely new to this (and we all were at some point), my best suggestions are as follows:

1. Learn all you can. Get a copy of "Hunting in Alaska" by Chris Batin. It's an excellent overview of the state, in which the author covers each species and each region, including hunting tactics. And yes, there's a lot in there about moose hunting. A second choice is Dennis Confer's, "Hunt Alaska Now", which does a pretty good job covering moose hunting tactics, although it doesn't give much regional info. Finally, I also wrote a book with some moose hunting info in it, geared to float hunting. The title is "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers". That book is over 500 pages and includes hunting tactics, river navigation, field care of meat and trophies, low-impact camping, extensive trip planning info, and tons of info on gear. All of these books, plus a ton of videos and other related materials, are on this site in our bookstore (linked at the top of this page, in our main site navigation).

2. Start small. Lots of guys on the forums here are willing to take on a new guy, as long as they can be pretty certain that you're not gonna steal their spot, you'll carry your load (and hopefully part of theirs), and are willing to shoulder your share of the costs. There's always room around the campfire for a guy like that. Especially if he's not too obsessed with who fires the first shot. Nobody likes a game hog.

3. Get help. Read up in our forums. There's a ton of moose info here. You might also look out in the rest of our site. So many folks get tied up in our forums and forget about the 5,000 or so other pages of info we have here. For example, check out our HUNTING PAGES; you'll find info on the whole state in there, some excellent introductory stuff, and info on each big-game species. Keep coming back, too. We are constantly working on those pages.

Finally, not to sell you something, but I do offer a consultation service that is designed specifically to help folks like you get out there on your first hunt. I work with people of all experience levels, expectations, and budgets. You can find my contact info in my signature line below my name, together with a website URL where you can find out more about this service.

Welcome to the fraternity! Stick around, and don't take the good-natured ribbing too harshly. Some of these guys forget that they were beginners once too.

All the best,

-Mike

If you do those things, you'll soon realize that moose hunting involves a lot more than just showing up. In other words, the location is important, but it is equally important to know what you're doing once you get there.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Shoot one withing 100 yards of a road and don't let it die in the water.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Shoot one withing 100 yards of a road and don't let it die in the water.
    That is some of the most solid advice I have read in a long time!