Thread: I am willing to Pay for help with Moose Calling!

Default I am willing to Pay for help with Moose Calling!

If this sounds pathetic I can live with that. Iím not a good enough caller to bring in the big moose. Smaller ones seem to show themselves with little effort but the big ones seem to hold up and I never get shot. Iíve had them screaming at me, from thick cover, at under 70 yard but I canít get them to step out.
    Iíve worked the "how to" DVDís and gotten advice from people who say they are in the know, but I seem to be missing the finer points. So to those of you how do know the finer points of calling, I would like to pay you to teach me. I donít work for free and therefore I donít expect someone to give me their time for free. I live in Anchorage and have a flexible schedule. So if you know what you are doing I am willing to pay you to teach me what I clearly do not know.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim - alaska View Post
    If this sounds pathetic I can live with that. Iím not a good enough caller to bring in the big moose. Smaller ones seem to show themselves with little effort but the big ones seem to hold up and I never get shot. Iíve had them screaming at me, from thick cover, at under 70 yard but I canít get them to step out.
    Iíve worked the "how to" DVDís and gotten advice from people who say they are in the know, but I seem to be missing the finer points. So to those of you how do know the finer points of calling, I would like to pay you to teach me. I donít work for free and therefore I donít expect someone to give me their time for free. I live in Anchorage and have a flexible schedule. So if you know what you are doing I am willing to pay you to teach me what I clearly do not know.

Jim

Calling is not that hard, you are most likely calling fine. When they hang up like that in thick cover they are usually cowed up. They don't want to leave their cow. Next time use bull grunts and brush thrashing and head straight towards the sound keeping the wind in your face. Worked on this guy.

Have fun and good luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I know several successful moose callers and they all do it different. I've called in my share including a big 64"er that a buddy shot at 35 yards. I don't think moose are all that particular and the calling videos available on the net are every bit as good as having someone show you. I think timing is as big as of a factor as anything. Early in the season, like right now, I just rake brush and trees because that's all the bulls are doing right now. In a couple weeks I will start working in shorter cow calls and raking. Later in the season, when the bigger bulls have gathered their cows I will simply challenge them with tree raking and bull grunts, usually leaving out cow calls altogether.

How do you know they were big ones hung up? If you saw them and know they were big it was time to get sneaky and stalk them. Twice, I have had hour long calling sessions vs. another hunter, and both of those were in very remote areas. Bulls gluck and grunt, there is no screaming involved.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I would not call it a scream, what you heard was either a cow giving a warning call or if the animal was making a grunt sound (bull),
    it was a small bull trying to intimidate you. When you did not leave he back down, not hearing the sound or being there that I think happen.

any idea what river that is?

Stidd is right for a lot of times. A direct challenge will usually change their attitude . But nothing always works the same for sure. And don't quit calling when moose season is over, thats the best time to practice. And a big part of calling is patience and being able to hear. Good luck.

While caribou hunting last week on the tootlik I did a couple low grunts while walking past a cow moose hoping she would not run away. I was stalking a caribou and did not want the caribou alerted to the presense of a predator. I ended up taking the caribou about 3/4 of a mile away and while field dressing the caribou a 60 inch bull moose charged out of the willows and ran the 3/4 of a mile in a straght line at me and my partner. We thought we were going to have to dlp the moose and at the last second he turned. I've called bulls in more populated areas and spent 3 days to get a big boy out of the woods. It all depends on where you are how easy it is.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Twice, I have had hour long calling sessions vs. another hunter...
    Hah! Thought I was the only one!

Once out west of Swan Lake north of Trapper Creek I went until dark with a guy. I finally knew it wasn't a moose when I saw him light a cigarette in the dark. I let out a big old Tarzan yell through my bull magnet and could hear the guys cussing across the lake I could only imagine the looks on their face when that jungle yell came blazing across the lake on a clear frosty night
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Haha! Now that is funny stuff!

I did all the videos, read all the book I could find, carried a bull magnet 200 miles, etc until I actually believed that calling worked. I think the newer caller should focus on the brush thrashing and breaking sticks to sound like another bull not calling first, then as you have some encounters and see that is working, get that grunt worked out while you are walking around anywhere, just like the bulls. (It sure helps to hear a real moose make a real sound,then try to mimic it over and over.) Cow calls if you have a bull moving away are just priceless, they almost always stop and turn broadside to look back one more time, sometimes turning to return, too close sometimes. I would say the bull grunt may run off smaller bulls a lot of the time, while brush thrashing or beating a stick, hammer, etc on a tree are most interesting for them to come in for a look.

You certainly dont have to call in a bull to shoot a bull, I have about half and half from calling or not. Practicing before and after the season is a good idea. I practiced for years in our Tier II, antler restricted hunt S/F, 50 and have fun calling in and letting go a few to several illegal antler bulls. Sure gives you that adreneline rush when you have to shoo them off at 10 yards! and if you called them, it worked!

I wouldnt hire or give up Jim, just keep at it, and you will eventually see the results. Good luck!!

If you get a chance and have the money, this DVD series is the best I've ever seen. The guy (Alex Guthro) goes into every little detail and how to make the sounds. I think he might be part moose he sounds so good.

http://www.gouthrosmoosemadness.com/

I
    have the 6 hour set, but I now see that they have a 2 hour "Quick Fix" DVD.

I really enjoy calling bulls, have done it pretty successfully and with a bow....so heres my usual routine and a few tips. You don't need to pay anyone, the DVD's and some friendly hints and boots in the field are all you need.

Get to where you want to call either silently, or if not, take the call/paddle,scapula/horn and hit a tree every few steps (it's what they do)

Don't set up right in the open, they have rotten eyesight but still see motion plenty.(and you are about to make a lot), keep a view, but stay back in the shadows....with a bow stay 40-50 yards off so they come into the woods instead of displaying in the meadow out of range. (with a gun is much simpler)

I prefer raking and rattling (sometimes grunt, but I save it for short work), to do this, get a tree that has enough exposed trunk to scrape nice and hard, wack the tree and flail your calls and even yourself into the brush (remember, you are trying to sound like a 1000 pound animal with a case of roid rage). Essentially carry on in a manner in which you would be embarassed if someone was watching.

Between calling sessions (20-30 min.) listen very very hard. On the right day I've heard responses from what was probably more than a half mile away. Very low grunts you can feel more than hear, soft thuds of them wacking trees in response, and eventually them not so daintily busting brush to answer your call, are what you should expect. (though some may still come in quietly).

If you get a response, tone it down, they know exactly where you are....it's what they do...so if you tone it down they will be focused on an area past you (this may be your problem with the lock ups). Certainly once you see them...SHUT UP. IF they came that far, they will likely come further. Also, big bulls may not be bright, but they ain't dumb neither ....they aren't going to jump on the sword and expose themselves if they think are on the edge of the meadow and they can't see or smell any moose (thus the softer calling....throwing your voice if you will).

If they do lock up (as mine did last year with a bow) a VERY VERY soft scrape and a grunt that was more like a soft burp brought my bull back to life after he came in HOT at 100 yards but then got a bit confused and then actually started to feed. He no more than heard that call (sounding as if came from behind us) and he plowed down every tree between us on a dead line to where he thought the noise was coming from. This put us right in his path (actually too close for comfort at one point.)

I still struggle with true confidence in the voice calling, but anyone with hands can make raking/scraping sounds and it's a great start.

I usually call in an area for about an hour or less, then move out to another likely area (usually 400-800 yards away) and repeat. I like to do this in a loop taking me back to camp. Sometimes they come busting in immediately, sometimes it could be hours, or days. For those late bloomers, I work the same milk run the next day (they often will stay in the area if motivated) in the past several years we have called hard from camp at night or evening, and taken bulls in the morning not far from camp....I think they were drawn in, and then the next morning's calling sealed the deal.

Anyway, that's what works for me, I think calling moose is one of the most exciting things I've ever done and wish you the best.

Default Thanks for your imput

Thank you for your responses, there is a lot of good information within your words and I will order the DVDís.
    I would like to clarify my reference to a ďScreaming BullĒ. Iíve heard this behavior three times and watched one bull perform it. I was a about 20 yards back in heavy timber while the bull was 150 yards across an open field working through some thin willows, and he had 5 cows. As he was too far from camp to shoot so I was just working on my calling. I scraped, brush trashed, and grunted at him. He looked my way for a bit and them just ďScreamedĒ. You could see the mucus fly from this nose as he barked, screamed, or roared. I donít know what else to call it, but it was not a grunt.
    After reading some of the posted comments, I wander if the other two bulls that ďScreamedĒ had cows and this was just there way of telling me to ďstay away from my ladiesĒ.

Talking

I have heard bulls make a 'hunter like' angry grunt sound similar to get the cows moving, like pushing them. and also once heard the most unlike a moose sound when a pack of wolves jumped a bedded bull, cow and calf near my stand. I was sure it was another hunter until they all bolted out of the woods and across the meadow at mach 1. They did not return for over a week! I think a lot of moose hunting is about listening more than calling, especially when it is still.

I sent my partner home with love,thunder and bull last night. We are driving today for out tags finally comes Sept 1.

The one thing I learned about calling moose is every bull is different. Most will respond to noise such as raking and brush rattling but each one has their own choice as to what will make them move closer to you. Some need a cow call, some need grunts. Pick wrong and sometimes they take off.
    Last moose we called answered constantly, but he kept on moving away as he had 6 cows with him. Called for about 2 hours advancing as he retreated and finally caught him in the clear debating if he should swim across the river or not. Bad choice, he didnt

They are all different!
    Tennessee

The two bulls I called in last year were very quiet until they got close- about 30 yards and then they 'glucked' their way up to me.

Conversely, my cousins' bull ripped a small spruce out of the ground at 40 yards when he heard first bull grunt and came charging in.

Be patient and keep at it. It DOES work, but not if you're impatient.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

There a lot of good information about getting a bull moose to come in that last 70 yards. I had the same problem several years ago, researching my notes and reading everything I could find helped, there was still something missing. Because of my new hunting partner I found the answer, the problem was I do not have good hearing. My hearing is not bad in fact I think itís better than most men in their 40/50. The reason a bull wonít come in is because something is bothering him, depending on the call youíre using and the reason he came in (it very important to understand why the bull came in) you need to sound more like a moose. Not just any moose, if Mr. Bull is looking for a cow you need to sound like a cow, if he is looking for a bull you need to sound like a bull. I have an arsenal of sounds I have heard hunting moose over the years and depending on what sound the bull make I will answer him looking for his sweet spot.
    I have a high gain low noise amplifier that I built that letís me hear sounds the bull is making and was the missing link that put it all together.

Iíve have called in a lot of moose and never did any of the thing mention, If youíre having problem calling moose or want to call in more and bigger moose my information may help you get a moose, assuming youíre not making other mistakes.