Thread: Tok sheep sucess 2011

Default Tok sheep sucess 2011

Well we just finished up our TMA hunt and couldn't have gone any better. We got flown in by 40 mile air and started walking up a creek that lead us to where we would eventually camp 8 miles and 15 creek crossings later. The weather was good the first day and proceeded to deteriorate quickly and snowed for three days , making it difficult to spot sheep to say the least. This I beleive worked for us as it reallyh drove the sheep down into the lower elevations. So we spent 7 days in fog, snow, and rain. Had spotted a few nice rams but either couldn't get the elevation or the wind was the wrong direction and got busted a few times. The last day of hunting arrived and we got up early and spotted a few rams a mile up from camp and one looked very close to legal, so we went up to check it out and of course it was close but not quite full. About Noon we decide to head back to camp and grab something to eat and look up and there are 3 rams now down a mile and a half from camp and one is for sure full curl. So we quickly grab our guns and get moving. After going about a half mile or so we looked and determined that this ram is a good one and move in for a closer look. We hoofed it up the mountian side as the sheep could not see us and the wind was in our face, "the perfect sinerio". Now at 230 yards I told him to shoot and he hit it on the first shot. One ram down and then another large ram walks out and he was definatly full, so I shot and hit. In the meantime he is yelling at me what are you shooting at and my only response was 2 rams down. He didn't realize that there were 2 big rams in the band. Now we just had to pack up the next morning and head to air strip. Our packs were a little to heavy for 2 sheep and gear so we had to shuffle 2 loads each down the creek. 19 hours, 20 miles and 45 creek crossings later we were out. Great trip. Only thing that stinks is that the camera battery froze and we don't have any other pics... Ram on the left 37 inches and 12 3/8 bases, 9 year old. Ram on the right 37 1/2 inches and 12 bases, 8 year old
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice sheep congrats to you and your buddy

Congrats on two great trophies. You just never know when the hunt gods will smile on you. I'll say you fellas worked pretty darn hard and have lasting memories to show for it. Way to go! Oh, you gotta give us the rifle, caliber and bullet data.

awesome, congrats, I dream of a TMA draw one of these years
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

WOW, love the wide spread on those two. Congrats to you both!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Way to make it happen on the last day - it sounds like you earned it!

Thats Awesome. You guys hung in there and waited out the weather and scored big time. Those are 2 dandy trophys and much earned. It doesnt get any better than that. Cheers!!!!

Nice rams ....congrats to you both on a great memorable hunt...

Congrats to you and your partner on the succesful hunt. Its always nice when all the hard work pays off in the end.

Absolutely fantastic story and great sheep! Way to go to both of you!! I can' t imagine how your knees must have felt after all that load! Whew!

Like Kahahawai said he prefers in another post, you guys just were enjoying the hunting sheep and didn't want to tag out on day one! Congrats on beautiful sheep.

AZinAK

Congrats Heavy Packs and Full Curls is icing on the cake!!!!
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Man talk about last minute success! Way to hang in there and get the job done those are two fine looking rams.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Man talk about last minute success! Way to hang in there and get the job done those are two fine looking rams.
    It always good when the RANGER gives his approval!!

Nice rams! I thought my sheep hunt this year was hard but sounds like you really earned your rams.