Thread: Beautiful Sunday Morning Hunt!

Default Beautiful Sunday Morning Hunt!

Took my 9 year old son out with our 9 month old Chocolate Lab, Tess. We hunted hard for about two hours, but were not fortunate enough to find any birds. However, it was the first time we had Tess out and she did an outstanding job! She ranged very well and we could see her little nose working in the breeze.

My son asked a lot of question about birds and gun safety on the walk back to the truck. He looked at me and said, "Dad, I had an awesome time with you and Tess today!" After all the walking and no birds to hear him say that means the world to me. Often times I wonder if the choices my wife and I make are the right ones, it is times like this that make me think we must have done something right.

We did flush up three Cranes at about 40 yards in an overgrown field. My son and Tess both stood in excitement as the flew to the other side.

All in all a good day and more importantly, it was a little one on one time with my son!

Terry

Sounds like you, your son, and your pup are off to great start for many years of good times in the field.

Sounds like a successful hunt to me. Good job!

the most important part of getting outdoors, you got it right. rep sent+
    edit signature here

Thanks! I can't wait to get off work on Thursday...we are going to chase them a lot this weekend!

Good stuff! You're a lucky man. Your son is "formatting" his hunter's mind and soaking up everything you say and show to him. What Dad says and does in the outdoors will be his mantra for a long time. He will remember these times forever. That's a lot of responsibility heaped on you, Dad! Enjoy every moment, take lots of pictures, and always remember what your son taught you - that there is a whole more to this outdoor stuff than the taking of fish and game; so much more.

Congratulations on a job well done!

Jim

I cant agree more, My seven year old will be getting his first .410 this year. He has tagged along on some goose and duck hunts in the lower 48 but I cant wait to see him get some birds here. There are few better times then hunting with your son!

you are lucky indeed. I am lucky enough myself to have a 10 year old daughter who loves to go hunting with dad. we love to get out and hunt bunnies and the occasional "stupid chicken" as she calles them. this fall we were sitting in a blind calling moose and had been sitting there for a couple hours and I was afraid she was getting very bored when she looked at me and said "dad... I love to go hunting with you" it is truley a wonderful feeling.... cherish and nurture it and you will both share the reward!!

Good job, Tiger!

Jim