Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A great day for my daughters first moose!

Default A great day for my daughters first moose!

My daughter and I were talking last night while hunting some fields off the Elliott that if she didn't get a moose this year it is okay because we've been having such a great time together. We went to bed at 10:30pm last night with the alarm set for 4am. We were up and met my brother and his daughter at the gas station at 5am. His 4 wheeler had a dead battery, so we needed to change plans for the morning. We decided to head up the Steese, and not 5 miles into the legal area at first light I spotted a moose. It was in a field that was fairly close to a house, but did not look like it was on the same property. Regardless, I went to the house and was hoping to ask for permission, even though I was going to wake them up at 5:30 in the morning, but there was no answer. We watched the moose for about 20 minutes as it became lighter out, and she stood there, 90 yards away eating grass with not a care in the world. I tried the home again, but again, no answer. I headed back towards Fairbanks since there was another cabin on the property to the other side of the field. This time the guy met me outside and said that he is fairly certain the property is open and said go ahead and shoot the moose. As we headed back, I was pretty uneasy, but we slowly set up for the shot. As we did, the moose had enough of us and headed into the woods.

We shrugged it off, got back in the trucks and headed up the Steese. We decided to drop my truck off at the pull out by Ski Land and all go in my brothers truck. About 10-12 miles up the road in some burnt out forest, I spotted the ears of a moose in the deadwood. We drove up and down the highway in search of no trespassing signs and did not see any. The land was burnt and barren. We parked the truck and set out after the moose on foot. In about 10 minutes we were 100 yards away, and I didn't like the angle of the shot. We regrouped, headed back to a clearing and worked to the other side of the moose. She stood there staring at us the whole time, but never moved an inch. Gotta love those cooperative ones. We set up about 75 yards but she was facing us quartering to. We could not see her lower body, just her upper body, but in the 20 minutes we had plenty of time to look around for calves and confirmed she was legal. My daughter set up on the bipods and we discussed where to aim. It took her a minute, but she finally felt comfortable and squeezed off a round. It was a perfect hit and the moose ran to the side about 10 yards. It stood there so I helped her jack another round and told her to shoot again. I could see she was shaking very bad, but she got the moose in the cross hairs and squeezed off a second round. The moose dropped out of sight. We headed to the moose and saw her laying dead. I'd guess she is a 3&1/2 year old moose, and she had some scars on the back of her legs that were mostly healed over. It looks like something got her from the back and tore her up pretty good.

My brother had the camcorder rolling the entire time, so I'll have video to add later on. I have to charge the battery, and since it is so warm today, we are going to grab some lunch and butcher the moose this afternoon.

My daughter used the family hand me down .243 that my grandmother used in competitions when she was my age. Amber's cousin, Sydney, shot her first moose last year in Delta with the same rifle.

That is awesome! It looks as if you had a great time with the family and the smiles say it all!

Congrats!!!!

............and great grandmas' rifle too.
    Too Cool. Way to go Dad and daughter!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Congrat's to you both, I'm sure you already told her the excitement and shaking never goes away even when you get old

Outstanding
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Congrats to both you and your daughter. Really cool to have that heritage passed down as well.

Congratulation!

Nothing better - well done!

Fantastic - great job young lady!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Great job Dad,, that is so cool to have her use the family heirloom to take her first moose.

Congratulations to the entire crew!!!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Vey cool! Yummy moose burgers this winter.

Nicely done! You taught her a lot about respecting the landowners too. She will never forget her first moose. Nice job!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Great job!!!

Congrats all around! I know the feeling of a daughter harvesting their first moose!

This one is an awesome photo.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks guys! We've put in a lot of time since the 15th trying to make this happen. We've camped out, hiked through some nasty stuff, rode the 4 wheeler around, ran the boat from the Elliott to nearly the Steese Highway and back, but it finally ended with a moose spotted from the road. All in all we saw 6 moose, 5 being legal cows and one 30"ish bull. We've had close calls, but it was nice to have it all finally come together. The video came out great, and I look forward to putting it together.

With the warm weather in Fairbanks, we butchered the cow tonight. Everything is in the freezer except a large cooler full of scraps that we will grind tomorrow night. We have several ice packs in the cooler to help keep it cold. 14 hours from field to freezer, gotta love it. Since I'm going on 3&1/2 hours of sleep all weekend, the video is going to have to wait.

Congratulations to your daughter!!

Very good stuff, Jerod. Thanks for sharing that with us. It's great to read these stories and to see the pictures of young hunters and their first animals. Way to keep after it and to do it right - those lessons will last a lifetime.

Thanks for sharing this with us, Jerod, congrats to your daughter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast