Thread: Newbie questions

Default Newbie questions

I'm a newbie, and although these questions sound stupid to most of you, I need to learn the basics sooner or later. First, what do you use to bait bears? People always say bait, but what is the bait? Second, how long do you need to be baiting an area before bears come in? Please answer, I need the info, and I couldn't find it on the forum. Thanks

Bait = anythingfrom popcorn, dog food, doughnuts, cobor anything sweet tasting.

How long it takes to find the bait depends on the area. Sometimes it takeshours and sometimes it takes days even weeks. I had one this year that never did get hit. I won't be going back there again.

I hope this answers the questions.

Olin

I would agree with the food. I did some different things this year and figured out that popcorn is the best. Its light and hold some different scents that makes it sweeter and smell wonderful. As for how long it takes, my first stand didnt get hit until the last week of June, and the one I put up this year got hit 5 mins after i baited it and never stopped getting hit. If you live in the Fairbanks area and would like to learn more, let me know and I will meet with you and teach you some easy things to do.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Smith View Post
    First, what do you use to bait bears? People always say bait, but what is the bait? Second, how long do you need to be baiting an area before bears come in? Please answer, I need the info, and I couldn't find it on the forum. Thanks
    I'm new to this sort of thing but use dog food, candy, syrups, honey, and left overs from the kitchen cupboard and refrigerator. In potentially brown bear areas, I stay away from using fish or other smelly meat proteins.

Second, how long do you need to be baiting an area before bears come in? Please answer, I need the info, and I couldn't find it on the forum. Thanks
    I tend to scout an area and try to find active bear sign before baiting. This way, I have "in the field verification" that the stand is adequately placed away from trails, structures. With weekend baiting/hunting I've been less concerned about how soon they come in ... but rather trying to keep food in the barrel once they find the bait.

I'm a newbie, and although these questions sound stupid to most of you, I need to learn the basics sooner or later. First, what do you use to bait bears? People always say bait, but what is the bait? Second, how long do you need to be baiting an area before bears come in? Please answer, I need the info, and I couldn't find it on the forum. Thanks
    This was my first year baiting. I am no expert by any means but I talked to a lot of different people and just kind of figured it out for myself. I did end up taking a nice black bear and still had more coming in. I found that popcorn is the easiest thing to bait with for me. It is lightweight and can hold a very sweet smell for a long time. I also came up with a good mixture to pour on the popcorn to make it a sweeter and has a good smell to it. If you want to, just send me a message and I will give you more info, As far as your other question about the time, it just depends on the bear population in the area. For me it took about a week before my stand started getting hit hard. Let me know if you have any other questions or would like some help.

Good resource for bear bait............. http://baitem907.com/

I run a black bear outfit in ontario and use day old donuts from the coffee shop nothing works better around here!! and time till bait is active depends on how long it takes the bears to find it, so start close to bear sign.

I had my sites set up opening day.. nearly took 2 months before it was hit but when it got hit I had multiple bears hitting the site and cleaning it out daily. I use anise oil, rootbeer float extract (walmart), syrup (maple/raspberry/blueberry), bread (soaked in anise and other sweet stuff) and some homemade concoctions

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...%29?highlight=

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...row?highlight=

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."