Thread: Would you buy a plane.....

Default Would you buy a plane.....

.....if it were missing the log books (missing 1st 25 years on an aircraft). You looked in the NTSB data base and didn't find anything on the tail number of the aircraft. Of course you would have a pre buy inspection done before final purchase.

How important (I feel it is pretty important), is having the complete log books for the aircraft. In your mind is not having them a complete deal breaker?

Anyone have a good list of folks that they would use for a pre buy inspection (trying to make a contact list for the future, for 170's & older 182's)

Thanks again!

If the plane is 50 years old and you have the last 25 years of log books I would not worry about it too much. Although you could use it during price negotiations.

You can always send off to the FAA and buy a computer CD record of anything they have in their files. I found all sorts of neat stuff dating back to 1946 on my little cub.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Logs don't mean much to me. A good mechanic can look at a plane and tell you what's what. If mods and major repairs were done correctly the FAA records will show them (you can get copies) and that's all you need to be legal. The only books that matter to me are the engine and prop logs because those components have life limits.

A good piece of advice is also to get a full annual done on the aircraft rather than just a pre buy. A mechanic is more likely to do a thorough job when he has to sign the logbook that the plane is airworthy rather than just saying itís good to go. It may cost you a little more up front, but it is worth it in the long run.

Default Nice tip to know...

High Country,

Thats a good tip to know, kinda holds the mechanic to any findings on the aircraft. I'll keep that in mind for sure.

That was super awesome advice, I will definitly do that when I go to buy my pitts S2B. 1-2k is worth it when your dropping 90k on a plane.