Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running the Tanana

Default Running the Tanana

I'm thinking about running the Tanana down to the Yukon from Nenana (the village) down. I have a Sportjon, so I have a pretty shallow draft and I know about possible shallow water issues at Squaw Crossing. I'm mainly wondering what the run is like from Nenana to Manley. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Shallow water issues and river miles are my questions.

My calculations have the run from Nenana to Manley boat ramp (on the Tanana) at 99.3 miles. Straight forward run with no surprises.

You will no problems in a sportjon. I run from Nenana to Tanana/ Galena on a regular basis. It is a fun trip if you have never done it before.

I always use the 10th street launch in Nenana. Few pics from a my trip back from Tanana a little over a week ago. I had a jet this trip, I usaly run a prop.

There are two easy routs through Squaw. The first slough to the right between the two trees on a the sand bar. Be warned there is a stump 6-7ft fro the tree on the right, so stay to the left. Then the barge route. I am going back in 2 weeks, I will have to mark the route on gps. If you sit a watch the water you will be able to see it.

Rain, about how long does it take you to get from Nenana to Tanana and what's your average speed, or how many river miles is it? Also, do you have a date set when you'll be heading back down? I'm thinking of doing it on Sept. 7th, and would love to follow someone down if it was possible.

I did a run down to the Kantisha one time and met the barge at one of the worst parts of the river ( narrower part with the waves boncing off the banks) and had to pull over and wait til the waves died down, lol, That thing will put out some 4' waves. Other than that thing, a sportjon is as easy as it gets. If you can't make that stretch in that boat, don't try some of the smaller rivers, lol//// J/K.

I do understand the cation part that you are thinking about, but you have nothing to worry about.

It took me about 6 hours last time, but that was with a 90 hp jet. I averaged 30 mph. With my 140 prop it takes me a little under 5 hours. To be honest I am not sure how many river miles it is, I want to say 160 with shortcuts.

I do not have a set date yet. I am working on Little Diomede island at the moment, so weather will be a big factor if I will make it out of here in 2 weeks, it could be 3 easy.

I do advise getting a gps if you do not already have one, then take check points on the way down. It seems, to me anyways, most people who have never ran the river before seem to take wrong turns going back up. Every year I find a few hunters that have lost their way.

Bring gas, it was 5.85$ a gallon in Tanana as of 10 days ago. It will only go up. The store sells it for 6.35$.

Okay cool, thanks for the info. I heard that a few months ago gas was like $8.00/gal. in Tanana, but only around 4.20/gal in Ruby, just a little more expensive than what it was in FB at that time. I was thinking that I'll need approx. 100 gal. (on the high side) to get to Galena, so I'll probably have about 120 gallons on board just (again, just to be on the safe side).

Nenana to Galena is right around 340 miles - I wish my rig could make it on 100 gallons. Last year you could not buy gas on the river in Ruby - you had to get someone to truck it from the store, not sure if that has been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Okay cool, thanks for the info. I heard that a few months ago gas was like $8.00/gal. in Tanana, but only around 4.20/gal in Ruby, just a little more expensive than what it was in FB at that time. I was thinking that I'll need approx. 100 gal. (on the high side) to get to Galena, so I'll probably have about 120 gallons on board just (again, just to be on the safe side).

Yeah, I was thinking approx. 100 gallons (300 miles) from from the Yukon bridge down to Galena, which was my original plan. Now I think I'll start off in Nenana, which will add approx. 40 river miles for the trip and require a little more fuel, but will save me over 200 road miles, and around 3 hours total time each way off the trip. I would think that 140 gallons should get me from Nenana to Galena easily, so I'll carry 160 gallons. Better safe than sorry.

You could drive to Manley also.
    Tim

Planning to make the Nenana to Tanana trip also start around the 15th. I have a DM802 permit for the Nowitna area. I was told today that it was about 120 river miles from Nenana to Tanana by a resident of Tanana. Does that sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Planning to make the Nenana to Tanana trip also start around the 15th. I have a DM802 permit for the Nowitna area. I was told today that it was about 120 river miles from Nenana to Tanana by a resident of Tanana. Does that sound right?
    Don't forget your Pike and Sheefish gear, the fishing at the mouth of the Nowitna is awesome.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Great job with the video Steve. It's been a few years since I hunted that area, and seeing it again really gets my blood pressure up. Just a little over a week left to go.

Anyone know the price of gas in Tanana? Heard it was 6.50 a gallon at Galena.

Troutbum, just a suggestion but make sure you carry extra oil. If you come back with a moose or two running upstream not only will your fuel consumption go up but so will your oil consumption.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Don't forget your Pike and Sheefish gear, the fishing at the mouth of the Nowitna is awesome.

Steve
    How did you guys make out fishing for sheefish? Heard they were pretty tasty.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Anyone know the price of gas in Tanana? Heard it was 6.50 a gallon at Galena.

Troutbum, just a suggestion but make sure you carry extra oil. If you come back with a moose or two running upstream not only will your fuel consumption go up but so will your oil consumption.
    I was planning on 6 gallons, motor burns at a 1:100 ratio, but now I'm thinking I'll bring 2 or 3 more gallons. Again, just to be on the safe side. Has anyone tried shipping there meat air cargo from Galena? I know the back haul to Anchorage is only 25 cents a pound.

I was running low on DI oil on my last trip and bought some regular TCW 3 oil "just in case" at Tanana. Almost $9 a quart and that was in 2009. Numbers are fuzzy in my head quoting from memory but we used about 35% more fuel and oil running up the Yukon with two moose compared to running down with full gas barrels. Plus our max speed dropped by about 7-9 mph.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    You could drive to Manley also.
    Another option, plus it is only 3 hours by boat to Tanana

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    I think 120 is probably the right number. I am horrible with guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Steve
    The Tozitna has some great sheefish runs, about 20 mins past tanana. Fish creek has some killer pike fishing right at the mouth, it is about 35 mins up river from Tanana.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    How did you guys make out fishing for sheefish? Heard they were pretty tasty.
    We caught some, but did not eat them because they were too large to eat in one meal.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've made the run many times and it's about 161 miles from Nenena to Tanana. Stay right (going downstream) at Sqauw xing. I always use my gps with maps and take the shortcuts (inside bends). Gas in Tanana was under $6/gal last week. Boating from Manley to Tanana is only about 65 miles and took us 2.2 hrs on the hour meter. The launch at Manley (Tanana R.) is in good shape and I prefer this to the run from Nenana nowadays. Good luck and enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast