Thread: Seldovia Suggestions for Labor Day

Default Seldovia Suggestions for Labor Day

I am planning on heading over to Seldovia for a couple days this Labor Day Weekend. Having not been there before, I have done quite a bit of research on lodging, etc. but it seems the only campground in town is a mile or more from the dock which isn't really feasible for me.
    I know I am late in planning this, but just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on staying in Seldovia proper either camping or a hotel for a reasonable price that is close to the dock or a suggestion on getting all our stuff to the campground across town?
    Will there even be transient moorage for a 17' inflatable on Labor Day Weekend? Thanks in advance for the info.

Dont want to derail your thread but what kind of fishing is there on that side for this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by cwm907 View Post
    I am planning on heading over to Seldovia for a couple days this Labor Day Weekend. Having not been there before, I have done quite a bit of research on lodging, etc. but it seems the only campground in town is a mile or more from the dock which isn't really feasible for me.
    I know I am late in planning this, but just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on staying in Seldovia proper either camping or a hotel for a reasonable price that is close to the dock or a suggestion on getting all our stuff to the campground across town?
    Will there even be transient moorage for a 17' inflatable on Labor Day Weekend? Thanks in advance for the info.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Well, I was hoping to go offshore a few miles for some halibut, maybe out to Pogi for some silvers or maybe some feeder kings. Am I headed for a futile fish hunt?

Hi, just to clarify, I have no idea about fishing over there.
    It really was just a question. I've never been to Seldovia so I was curious. Always wanting to see/fish more places.

Just give it a couple of hours and Im sure someone like Homerdave will reply.
    Actually, if you want him to reply really fast, start a thread saying something like: "I betcha no one can tell me what this fish is"

Well, I was hoping to go offshore a few miles for some halibut, maybe out to Pogi for some silvers or maybe some feeder kings. Am I headed for a futile fish hunt?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Ok I gotcha, I am in the same boat, proverbially. I just want to go over and check things out and if I get a fish or two I will be happy.

Transient moorage shouldn't be a problem, just call the harbor master on VHF 16 when you approach the harbor and they will give you direction on where he wants you. For lodging, Seldovia has quite a few B&B's and small hotels within walking distance of the harbor. I would check out Seldovia.com under the lodging section and call a couple to check prices. Should still be plenty of fish around, definitely worth your time. Plus Seldovia is just a real nice little town to spend a weekend at.

A bunch of Seldovia links for you...

http://seldovia.com/

http://www.xyz.net/~seldovia/

http://www.seldoviachamber.org/

Good fishing at Pogi lately...silvers and feeder kings to be had. Go and enjoy!

jim

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Actually, if you want him to reply really fast, start a thread saying something like: "I betcha no one can tell me what this fish is"
    very funny....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thanks for the info, guys........

We went there for Labor Day 4 years ago. You should have no problem with transient moorage. It is a neat little town, we were fortunate to bump into some friends at the dock who had a car, so we got to see more of the area than we would have w/o one. Alot of the places were closing up for the season, so you should contact places before heading over to see if they'll be open.

You might also want to look into Jackaloff or Tutka bay, as there might be some areas you could set up a tent on shore.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
    Should still be plenty of fish around, definitely worth your time. Plus Seldovia is just a real nice little town to spend a weekend at.
    Just avoid the bookstore, that guys a jerk!!!

Yeah, head over and contact the Harbor Master. She is really good at trying to make room for everyone, so she will find you a spot. As others have said, there is plenty of good fishing near there. In fact, i will likely head that way on Sunday myself so that I can try out the Avet reel I got from Paul H. Hoping to hear it sing a little......

I've caught silvers and feeder kings that time of year and much later off Pogi and if the weather's good you can kick some butts off Flat Island. Please don't venture out there unless it's REALLY good in that boat. They don't call it Dangerous Cape for nothing!
    Emo

Quote Originally Posted by emo View Post
    I've caught silvers and feeder kings that time of year and much later off Pogi and if the weather's good you can kick some butts off Flat Island. Please don't venture out there unless it's REALLY good in that boat. They don't call it Dangerous Cape for nothing!
    Emo
    Yes! Unless you know your boat VERY well be very careful venturing out around Pogi. The current when the tide is running around Pogi Pt. can create very dangerous conditions. All the water coming out of K-bay on an out going tide rushes around that corner and creates standing waves that I've seen reach 6 ft. or more. You can get into them before you even realize you are. It has happened to me. And this Labor day weekend has some pretty good minus tides to deal with. Be careful.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thanks for the advice, guys. Safety will be paramount on this voyage and if it looks sketchy (which it is right now), we won't go around the point. Any butt to be caught straight out from Seldovia?

I have got caught in that a few years back and it was darn uncomfortable........if you go out to Flat Islands and come back to rips and standing waves, I suggest you go back to Port Graham and wait it out, I am told it will settle down as the tide changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Yes! Unless you know your boat VERY well be very careful venturing out around Pogi. The current when the tide is running around Pogi Pt. can create very dangerous conditions. All the water coming out of K-bay on an out going tide rushes around that corner and creates standing waves that I've seen reach 6 ft. or more. You can get into them before you even realize you are. It has happened to me. And this Labor day weekend has some pretty good minus tides to deal with. Be careful.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thanks for the advice, guys. Safety will be paramount on this voyage and if it looks sketchy (which it is right now), we won't go around the point. Any butt to be caught straight out from Seldovia?
    Actually the area straight out from Seldovia is well known for producing butt. There is a big drop off there into a very deep trench and the halibut like to hang out there. Try going out to about 100' of water, give it a try for about 15 minutes and if you don't get any bites or bumps just up and move half a mile or so. Try different depths and if the water is decent head out even further to the other side of the trench and give it a try over there. You should find a few fish at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I have got caught in that a few years back and it was darn uncomfortable........if you go out to Flat Islands and come back to rips and standing waves, I suggest you go back to Port Graham and wait it out, I am told it will settle down as the tide changes.
    Yeah, I came back from points east once flying to get home and cut the Pogi corner pretty close. Within about 10 seconds I went from almost dead flat to waves I'd estimate at at least 7' high and seriously confused. It can get downright dangerous. And I had 5 clients on board! Now I check the tides and if it's running hard I swing a good half mile out from the point.

Yeah Dave, that is just what we did. We found that trench and found the butt. We steered clear of Pogi for the time being until I get a little more familiar with the area. The baptism by fire came on Labor Day morning pounding the 8-10 footers on the way back to Homer. A lot of lessons learned on that trip. Took us four and a half hours to get from Seldovia to Homer harbor.

Yeah Dave, that is just what we did. We found that trench and found the butt. We steered clear of Pogi for the time being until I get a little more familiar with the area. The baptism by fire came on Labor Day morning pounding the 8-10 footers on the way back to Homer. A lot of lessons learned on that trip. Took us four and a half hours to get from Seldovia to Homer harbor.
    Glad you found some butt and glad you made it home. I've done the same thing before. Crossed from Neptune Bay to the harbor in 8 to 9 ft. waves in a 16 ft. Hewescraft. I honestly thought we were going to die. Amazing how doing things like that make you so much smarter. It's great that we are alive to tell about it.