Thread: Ford Diesel Mechanic in Soldotna Area?

Default Ford Diesel Mechanic in Soldotna Area?

First off, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum. I looked around the board and couldn't find a specific place for vehicle discussion. Feel free to move it to a more appropriate place if needed.

I have a 2008 F250 Super Crew Diesel which I just pulled a 35' 5th wheel across the US and Canada with. We drove over 5000 miles and the truck did really well. I normally change the oil and filters myself but I would like to get the truck serviced and checked out given the long trip we just made. I know there is Stanley Ford in Kenai but outside of them, are there any other Ford Diesel Mechanics / Service Shops that you would recommend?

Thanks in Advance!

Brian M.
    G3 Guy
    "...with God all things are possible." - Mark 10:27

The best Powerstroke service, IMHO, is in Anchorage at Different Strokes of Alaska. 5000 miles for that truck is really no big deal. Change your oil and filter and run it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Brian, diesels are high torque engines and made to pull heavy loads. Whether it's gas or diesel, continuous running hour after hour, mile after mile at highway speed, while hard on the driver, is easy on the engine. If you're using synthetic motor oil, you probably don't need to change your oil yet either. What kind of fuel mileage did you average on your trip?
    Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockdoc View Post
    Brian, diesels are high torque engines and made to pull heavy loads. Whether it's gas or diesel, continuous running hour after hour, mile after mile at highway speed, while hard on the driver, is easy on the engine. If you're using synthetic motor oil, you probably don't need to change your oil yet either. What kind of fuel mileage did you average on your trip?
    Steve
    Thanks Rockdoc. I went ahead and took it into the Ford dealer a few weeks ago to have the oil changed and have everything looked over before winter. They said everything looked good. Unfortunately they put there stock 10-30 oil in. The truck still does fine but the turbos are a little more noisy without the synthetic. I'll probably be changing it back over to synthetic in the next few weeks before the weather gets too cold. As for my mileage, I averaged around 10-12 MPG on the trip. There were a couple of times I got a little concerned pulling in South Dakoto and the northern section of Canada but overall, I couldn't be happier with how well the truck pulled.
    G3 Guy

BTW, this is my first diesel engine and my first winter in AK. What is the "magic" temperature or date when I should start plugging up my engine at night in the Kasilof area? Thanks in advance!
    G3 Guy

Change the oil back to synthetic before it gets really cold. Back in 1996 I was living in Chicago and it got to -26. We had two cars with identical engines, the only difference was that one had synthetic the other regular motor oil. The car with the regular oil would barely crank, the car with the synthetic oil cranked as if it were a spring day (of course the non-starting car was between it and the street!). If I'm not mistaken Mobil 1 has a pour point of -48 F (the lowest flowing temperature before it turns to grease). Go back to that car dealer and tell them not to screw around anymore and to give you the good stuff!
    Steve
    BTW I had a 97 Dodge Caravan I purchased used with 150,000 miles on it. It hadn't been babied at all (right after I bought it I had to replace the hydraulic lifters, a sure sign the oil wasn't changed regularly). I used synthetic oil the entire time I owned the car and ultimately sold it with 286,000 miles on it and the engine still ran great with the only repairs being timing belts and water pumps. During that entire time I'd go 10,000 miles between oil and filter changes. You might say, I'm a believer!
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

Yeah, that's the plan... probably change it over in the next 2-3 weeks. I normally use the Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic. It has worked great so far! I'll be putting that back in very soon!
    G3 Guy

I run the same Rotella in all my diesel trucks and machinery. Plugging in is a vehicle specific thing. My old '86 6.9 Ford and my '95 Powerstroke need to be plugged in at 20F, same goes with my Cummins and Cat powered semis. My Mitsubishi forklift doesn't have a heater and it will start down to -15F with no issues at all. My Bobcat skidsteer needs to be plugged in a 30F, but an excavator I have with the same engine will start down to 0F (?) The cold start king of my fleet is my Duramax Chevy. It has started down to -30F after a 24hr cold soak without plugging in. It hasn't been plugged in at all in the last two winters.

Amsoil. Heavy duty diesel synthetic. Been using it for 186,000 miles in my 7.3L (in and outside AK) and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWood View Post
    Amsoil. Heavy duty diesel synthetic. Been using it for 186,000 miles in my 7.3L (in and outside AK) and never had a problem.
    Unfortunately the 15w-40 Heavy Duty does not meet CJ-4 specs needed for the '07 and newer diesels.

http://www.amsoil.com/a/Synthetic-Di...Oil-Engine-Oil

Any of the top two listed here is recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Unfortunately the 15w-40 Heavy Duty does not meet CJ-4 specs needed for the '07 and newer diesels.

http://www.amsoil.com/a/Synthetic-Di...Oil-Engine-Oil

Any of the top two listed here is recommended.
    Weird....There was a 07 and newer option the last time I bought some. Maybe it just directed to the correct oil.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I run the same Rotella in all my diesel trucks and machinery. Plugging in is a vehicle specific thing. My old '86 6.9 Ford and my '95 Powerstroke need to be plugged in at 20F, same goes with my Cummins and Cat powered semis. My Mitsubishi forklift doesn't have a heater and it will start down to -15F with no issues at all. My Bobcat skidsteer needs to be plugged in a 30F, but an excavator I have with the same engine will start down to 0F (?) The cold start king of my fleet is my Duramax Chevy. It has started down to -30F after a 24hr cold soak without plugging in. It hasn't been plugged in at all in the last two winters.
    I'm thinking I need one of these Duramax , Chevys, I'm not a gm guy but all I hear is good things about them. I have a 97 F-350 dually chassis cab w/ a 12' bed (7.3 powerstroke) and it can't get out of it's own way! I've always had to plug it in below 30. One good thing about it, other than the time I blew the O-ring on the oil plug in the injection pump while towing the boat up the eklutna hill, it's never let me down. Can a guy get a good used Duramax dually for a decent price?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

On my '06 5.9 cummins, I generally start plugging in when the temps are the 20's. I've had it cold soak below zero and still start fine, but you can hear the starter struggling when the temp gets down to about zero.

As for oil, I run Mobil 1 5-40 turbo diesel.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Fullbush- I have a '95 Ford PSD and you are right, it won't hardly get out of it's own way compared to the newer diesels. Nothing wrong with a newer Dodge/Cummins or a Chevy/Dmax. No idea on where to find a good used dually.

Try Dave Smith in Kellogg Id. They not only deal in new but have a good selection in the used dept. They are the worlds largest Dodge dealer along with that they deal in GM. Good Luck on the dulley.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 11-19-2012 at 17:10.