Thread: Best kids sled for an 8 year old??

Default Best kids sled for an 8 year old??

I have been looking at a Polaris 120 for my 8 year old son but it seems to me this small underpowered machine would only last him a season before he outgrew it. It will be his first machine but I'd like to find something that would last him 4+ years. Its slow and I believe he would lose interest in it after a few outings.

What is the next step up for a youth machine? Does anyone have advice for someone who doesn't want his son to outgrow a snowmachine like he does his winter boots?

Thanks in advance!

The positive of the little 120 is that you can find them for $1200 pretty regularly and as soon as your kid is ready to move up sell it for what you have in it. As long as you (he) takes care of it and you don't buy new and get killed by depreciation you can't really lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    I have been looking at a Polaris 120 for my 8 year old son but it seems to me this small underpowered machine would only last him a season before he outgrew it. It will be his first machine but I'd like to find something that would last him 4+ years. Its slow and I believe he would lose interest in it after a few outings.

What is the next step up for a youth machine? Does anyone have advice for someone who doesn't want his son to outgrow a snowmachine like he does his winter boots?

Thanks in advance!
    Deak,

You are spot on with your thoughts ont the 8 year old on a 120. I started both my boys on 120's at 3 years old, by 6 they were done with them.

I found a little known gem that is the perfect "next sled" for riders 6-12. It is the 1999-2002 Indy 340. They only made the 340 in that chassis for a few years, and then put the 340 in to a full size chassis. It is about half the size and is just perfect.

Here is a link to the one I have. I can not recommend this enough. IMO it is perfect.

http://www.polarisman.com/site/Displ...O340&Year=2001

Every once in a while I see one for sale and you should be able to pick one up for 1000-1500 bucks.

The sled linked by northriver is just a restyled Indy light. Indy Lites are perfect sleds for larger 8 year olds, as are early Tundras and Bravos. Hard to find, but not impossible. I limited the speed on the Indy Lite for the first few rides by electrical taping a block of wood to limit the throttle travel. They make a couple versions of the Indy Lites. We have two, a short track early model and a long track GT. My youngest daughter far prefers the short track because of it's ease of handling.

All my kids started on 120's. I actually traded that 120 for an Indy 500. The 120's hold their value like no other sled.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The Indy lite 340 is a good option bur if your kid has not ridden yet I would recommend the polaris Star lite which is a 250. Late 80's through 90's. Sweet little sled. Also can't go wrong with a tundra/citation/bravo. Good luck

Ski-Doo made a 300cc (IIRC) powered version of their Freestyle a few years ago. Neat little sled with a enough power and handling to let a kid grow with it for a few years.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

My vote goes to the Yamaha Bravo. My two boys went from Kitty Cats to the Bravo and loved it. Very economical and super reliable, and they will go a lot of places.

Default Indy 340

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    Deak,

You are spot on with your thoughts ont the 8 year old on a 120. I started both my boys on 120's at 3 years old, by 6 they were done with them.

I found a little known gem that is the perfect "next sled" for riders 6-12. It is the 1999-2002 Indy 340. They only made the 340 in that chassis for a few years, and then put the 340 in to a full size chassis. It is about half the size and is just perfect.
    I think this is what I should be looking for, unfortunately they seem to be really hard to find on craigslist. Its easy to find 120's but midsize youth machines seem to be trickier to find! I'll keep watch on Craiglist!

I did go and look at a 120 just for this season and it just looked too small for him (he will be 9 in november and hes not small for his age)

Picked up two Star Lite 250s for my then 9 year old daughter for $525 a piece winter before last. Been great little sleds, especially for the money. Still has enough juice to run adults and the second sled we've been using for friends (I lead riding it and then I don't run away from newbies on our bigger luxury sleds). Have a younger daughter still on the 120 so she has a sled waiting for her when it's time. Daughter & I ran up the Yentna a ways last year with her on it. Plenty fast for her as she rarely held it wide open. Since its capable of running adults, it's going to be the girls sleds until they buy their own!
    Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it. - Steven Wright

http://www.alaskaatvclub.org

Look for an older yamaha phazer ... they are a perfect sled for a kid or a woman ... plenty of power, reliable and work off trail very well. Cant go wrong with the Polaris Star either.

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post

Thanks in advance!
    I started my son with a 250 Tundra but his hands got cold, and his back would get sore during 40-60 mile runs. Don't get me wrong, this sled was a great and reliable machine and it will be missed. I eventually sold it after one season and got him a 98 Bearcat 340. He's able to pull start it which he couldn't with the 250 tundra. It gets equal or better fuel mileage as compared to the older Tundra and has some very low gearing. When him and I go ice fishing, he pulls a medium otter sled to help with the load of gear and he's able to keep up with me on the trail while riding in comfort. During warm spells, I had to haul the ice house off the lake with his sled as my big Widetrak LX was overheating. The gearing is creepy low and torquey and is a good combination with the small Suzuki 340 motor. Overall it's simple, and relatively light but could use a more aggresive track like a 1.5" paddled track for off the trail utility like hauling wood. One particular thing I like about this machine is that it has a primer and a choke which works like a charm in 30-40 below zero cold spells. This machine uses the same heavy duty drivetrain as the 440 model so wear on used 340 cc. models should be minimal.

Attached Images Attached Images

My wife had an Indy light GT (136" track I think) since she was just a little older. The only place it lags behind the "big boy machines" is in the powder. Last winter, with gas the way it was, I would fire up the 340. Unless I was going out for a "fun" ride, and even then I'd take the 340 if there weren't big hills in the way. It was finally replaced as her riding machine last Christmas by a 550 Summit. Those 340 engines will run until the end of the world! Doesn't seem like there is a lot of weight difference between the Indy Lites and the Tundras/bravo, but it seems to have more umph. I think because it is geared nice and low. It has enough umph that it has been my main wood cutting machine for the last couple of years.
    -Out-of-State for school, remembering why I love Alaska so much