Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scope mount issues...one screw in front mount enough?

Default scope mount issues...one screw in front mount enough?

busted off a screw on the front mount base..couldn't get it out so the front mount is held on with one screw....feels solid and tight..anyone had a situation like this before? i'm thinkin' it'll be ok but just curious if someones had simialar experience?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Most any gunsmith worth his salt can get the broken screw out and get you back to a solid 2 screw system. But instead of fixing that old piece of junk you carry, you should just box it up and mail it my way. Im sure you could replace it with a red Ryder BB gun, no more hunting than you do;
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

this ones on my .270 TI.....not my hunk of junk....i've already got 2 red ryders in the house..you got a slingshot you could sweeten the pot with?!?
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    this ones on my .270 TI.....not my hunk of junk....i've already got 2 red ryders in the house..you got a slingshot you could sweeten the pot with?!?
    Don't even sound like a fair trade for a 270 Win. My sling shot has never miss-fired or had any mechanical problems and has more power than your 270. Your 270 may have a little more range tho.
    I thought your boys had a the red Ryders.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Nice. The original TI or the Alaskan version (heavier model)? I've been looking for one in 7mm-08...

Go to AIH and buy a "Easy-Out".

I have never had this happen. I am super OCD when mounting scopes on my rifles. It would freak me out knowing that one was broken. (HA) what do you think caused it? just asking. thanks

Often the cause of the broken front mount screw is that it is too long and bottoms out against the barrel at the bottom of the hole before it actually tightens against the base. When screwing it into the hole, it'll get over torqued at the head and become weakened or cracked and the head will randomly pop off, usually even with the top of the receiver. Always use the shortest screw for the front hole on a Remington, and even then, screw it down through the base by itself and make sure that it is holding the base down, and not bottomed out in the hole with the base flopping around. They can be kind of a pain to extract, but I've been successful on lots of them. I usually cut a slot in them and use a small flat blade screwdriver to bring them out. An "easy out" will expand the top of the broken screw and make it a real bear to get out. Especially if you break off that hardened steel tool in the screw. Then it gets "interesting".......
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

one screw isn't enough - in addition to what is stated earlier, if a front screw is too long and bottoms out on the barrel threads it can mess up accuracy by exerting pressure on the thread alignment, sounds farfetched but it will happen - if you can't get it out safely have a smith do it and expand to 8/40 screws while you are at it

Thanks guys. I have enough years on this thread to assume Jake will fix it regardless, but I was wondering what might have caused it. Thanks again, I appreciate the knowledge passed on. Jeff

busted off a screw on the front mount base..couldn't get it out so the front mount is held on with one screw....feels solid and tight..anyone had a situation like this before? i'm thinkin' it'll be ok but just curious if someones had simialar experience?
    I'd say it's okay if you plan to leave the gun in the safe, but if you plan to hunt with it I'd be very leery. I suppose that it depends somewhat on the base system you are using, but I'd get a second fastener holding the base in place if it were me. However, I know that you are glad that you are not me...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

what caused it is my big muscles breakin' the lil' bugger off, then the easy out broke in half too...so i've got part of and easy out in there as well....
    dang it, was hopin' to steer cleer of a gun smith, ain't one near my house in big lake that i know of...
    Master guide 212

Hey BRWNBR I sent you a PM and will help you out if you want. Save you a drive to Los Anchorage at the very least. Jeff

I fish a couple of these out a week right before and during hunting season every year seem like. Not a huge deal if you have the right tools. For me the right tools means a vertical milling machine and a CARBIDE endmill slightly smaller than the screw dia. Indicate the center of the hole and mill to the bottom, retap hole and replace screw. Please whatever you do don't take the trusty craftsman hand drill to it, I had to drill and tap one guys front ring out to 8x40 this spring right after I rebarreled his rifle because he'd Dewalted a busted screw out of the hole, THROUGH his barrel shank and into the chamber.
    Swing it by if you get to town I'll get you fixed up in short order.

Conversely, if it wasn't bottomed out, the screw was just over torqued and actually stretched and snapped. In this case most screws are actually pretty loose as they are not jammed into the bottom but were pulled in half. Several times when I've done this (automotive mostly) I could either finger turn the nub, or I took a very small punch and worked it til I had a nub.

But a gunsmith could do this in mere minutes.

where you at in anchorage "the kid"? maybe i'll drop by one of these months....
    Master guide 212

WWG I'll be the tall skinny dude with the beard and baseball cap.

10-4......
    Master guide 212

When he's there put some 8x40 screws in it. Good grief, he is one of our Alaskan Guides. What if the darn scope fell off when he was with a client. Jake, I think those soft screws are a disaster waiting to happen and have had 2 break over the years. Not all my scoped rifles have been set up for 8x40 base screws, but darn near.

Could be worse, I broke a head bolt off doing a top end rebuild on an S10 blazer. Went from being almost done to having to yank the motor and transmission out then split them and take the block to a machine shop to extract it. Worse thing it was a supposed to be long weekend thrash job on my daily driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast