Thread: Chickaloon tribal lands?

Default Chickaloon tribal lands?

I have been wanting to go hunting across the Matanuska river in the Chugach mt range. I have heard that the Chickaloon tribe owns all of that land. I even called the tribe probably 10 times and no one seems to know what they are doing and they are not willing to deal with me for some reason. Does anyone know where there lands are or have a good map that shows where there lands are?

(edited)! Not all land across the Matanuska is Indian Country. Go across at Gravel Creek.

Taylor
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 08-28-2011 at 06:04. Reason: language

They aren't tribal lands. They are village corp. lands. If your calling the tribal office, that is not who to call. Call the village corp.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

There seems to be some confusion amongst the Chickaloon natives regarding what they think they own vs what is actually theirs. Fish n feathers warned me that a few folks that crossed to chase sheep had their rafts cut up several years ago. Several others were confronted and told they were treaspassing.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    There seems to be some confusion amongst the Chickaloon natives regarding what they think they own vs what is actually theirs. Fish n feathers warned me that a few folks that crossed to chase sheep had their rafts cut up several years ago. Several others were confronted and told they were treaspassing.
    Sounds like a game cam or two would have been golden for that situation...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    regarding what they think they own vs what is actually theirs.
    That is common for alot of private property. Thus, the need for current maps when in the field near private property.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

" Several others were confronted and told they were treaspassing."

Which often happens when you are on someone elses property without permission, and seems kinda like the proper thing to do, from a land owners point of view.

I think this applies to all propertys across the state........

I donno, but About this timma year, on this Hunting Forum, people who have an ancetrial linage that predates Columbus and own property, are seemingly open to debate as to weather anyone can roam their lands, trash their Rights, tresspass, hunt, make camps, burn wood, stay in cabins,and just use what they own at lesiur, like it was open to the public.
    Lets hope we dont see much of that.

There is a big difference between local "IRA" Native tribes, and the conglomerated Corperate Triabal Land holders. For example, I live among Kuungimuit "Noorvik" Tribe. This is a local tribal entity and manages the the localpolitics and such, like a city office. Then theres the Triabal Conglomerant, "NANA" that manages lands, issues permits and oversees activitys on their lands that they manage for all the tribes in Northwest Arctic Borough.
    As it was noted below, if you want answers about land holdings, permits and such, contact the Tribal Land holding Corperation for Chickaloon, whoever that would be.

The maps are there, be aware of the private propertys and hunt legal, and have a good time.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Hey now stranger you stay on your side of the tracks lol. What land they are saying is theirs belongs to no one else it's state land... The Clark wolverine trail goes through a bunch of private land but none of it is chickaloon land.

Well, Im not sparkin' debate, and the Devil is in the details, but if it was a specific place, and the map was right, then "(!)" as Mark said.
    As much as folks have rights, both as private property owners and as public user's on public lands, then we all must conceed to where we are and act accordingly.
    Aint right to tresspass, aint right to claim what aint yers. Ive seen plenty of both and it can get nasty.

But for sure, land debates, especcially about wanting what the other guys got, from both sides, doesnt really need to be debated on a Hunting Forum.

What may not be Chickaloon Triabal lands may still be privately held, and still not passable. Contacting and getting a land use permit is way easier outta a Native Landholding Corperation than a private individual.

If you know who owns the lands contact em, if its public, get yer Hunt on.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Take a look at the Mat Su Borough website for public and private land ownership. This will give you the exact location of Chicaloon land holdings. They even have satellite maps with land ownership overlays.
    http://www.matsugov.us/