Thread: Solo hunt?

Default Solo hunt?

Due to a series of unfortunate events I am partnerless for a drawing sheep hunt. The question is do I go solo or bag a hard to come but drawing tag?

Absolutely go solo! It just might be the best trip of your life. Good luck on your hunt!!

Most will tell you to go solo and do it. I have 4 kids, so I mitigate my risk a lot more than I used to. For me it would depend on how far out in the wilderness your hunt is. Can you share the hunt and general location? If you're walking into the Chugach state park from Anchorage or Eagle River, that is different for me than flying into a distant location. I dislocated my shoulder on a Kodiak fly-in. If my partner hadn't been there to relocate it, I would've been up a creek... If I had been within walking distance to a trailhead/road/parking lot, it would've been easier to deal with on my own.

Good luck if you go at it alone!

Maybe someone here on the forum will join you; have you inquired?
    Proud to be an American!

What are your dates for the tag?If it's a walk in I might be able to find time to lend a hand but it has to be before September 8 I'll be busy chasing moose and a goat till the 20th.

Delta Control Area. I have pretty much decided to go solo. If any one cares to join me I will be leaving around 4AM. Thanks for the advice, it's kind of what I had in my head now I can show this to the wife. Date are yesterday thru the 20th.

Quote Originally Posted by ToolMan907 View Post
    Delta Control Area. I have pretty much decided to go solo. If any one cares to join me I will be leaving around 4AM. Thanks for the advice, it's kind of what I had in my head now I can show this to the wife. Date are yesterday thru the 20th.
    I say that is awesome, wish I could go with you, my sheep season was over way too fast. I'm sure if you pull it off, it will rank as one of the most rewarding hunts you may ever do.

Wishing you fair weather and a huge Ram, can't wait to see you smiling with a giant.

If you see Alaska_Lance and his bride, tell them Steve sends his best.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Best wishes. I'm hunting in there too starting Tuesday. Look for the looney guy climbing in places he shouldn't be.
    Good news for AKlanch, sweet ram success. It's his story to tell.

You can't go wrong being SOLO.........In fact You have a better advantage, to me everything works out for the solo hunter, don't get me wrong, you still have to implement Risk management, but I think your chances are better....... Thats a good tag too, with a good chance of seeing a good number of legal rams. Get an Iridium phone and some bear spray and "Just do It"......Good luck,...... I love to read stories about solo hunts, gets my adrenaline going !!!!...............Chuck

With those two choices...........EASY.............GO SOLO!!!

Enjoy.