Thread: Prospect creek float hunt

Default Prospect creek float hunt

HAs anybody done a float hunt for moose, black bear or caribou on prospect creek, up on the Dalton highway? Thanks

Default I floated Prospect Creek this past June.

What information are you looking for?

Mostly just wondering if it's worth it. What did you go for? Were you successful? Was there any small game along the way?

Default Prospect Creek

I'm curious on how you plan to get into Prospect Creek? We used inflatable kayaks, dragging them down from the White Mountains, then floated out Birch Creek to the Yukon. Logistically not conducive for taking any game other than what you eat on the way.

Certainly on the lower stretch of Prospect Creek you would bump into hunters from Birch Creek Village, as we saw several moose camps there, but that is in 25D and you would need to have drawn a permit. There was also a large established moose hunting camp at the mouth of Bachelor Creek that is accessed by four-wheelers in 25C.

As with many of the Yukon Flats tribs, game is far and few between. Surprisingly we saw no bears and very little bear sign. We did see two bull moose in the 50" range in the middle range of Prospect Creek. No caribou and very few grouse.

Hey Seth, my bad...I just spaced it thinking you were talking about Preacher Creek. However, I have floated Jim River, which Prospect Creek flows into, to the South Fork of the Koyukuk several times, as well as other Dalton Highway drainages like Bonanza Creek Creek, main Koyukuk, Kanuti River, etc.

I know air boats at higher water levels have gone down through the Jim River canyon to the South Fk. Bottomline, you will have company and you will run into the Kanuti Controlled Use Area not too far down the South Fk, plus hunters from Allakaket. There are low numbers of moose, high numbers of bears, and no caribou except in the winter if some of the Central/Western Arctic herd winter in there.

Thanks, that really helps a lot. I was going to float from the prospect creek airstrip looking for bear, maybe go a little ways down the Jim river once I get there, and then backpack out of the area to a landable area. My buddy offered to pick me up in his piper super cub, saves me a lot of time and energy.