Thread: Trapping lynx/wolf

Default Trapping lynx/wolf

Hey guys, I need some tips on lynx and wolf sets. Thanks

Where are you at? what type of terrain...? Lynx are usually caught with some type of cubby sets with snares around the main set since they usually circle before going in after the bait. Wolf are alot more unpredictable and should be caught with snares around bait piles/kill sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Smith View Post
    Hey guys, I need some tips on lynx and wolf sets. Thanks
    Is this a serious thread?

Well, yeah. I just moved up from Oregon. Obviously we don't have any lynx or wolf there, although I have been trapping most everything else for around 20 years. I'm new to this, so I thought I would ask a basic question, for basic answers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trapline 2010 077.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	52362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trapline 2010 059.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	52363
    Couple of my lynx/marten sets. Consist of a number 3 or 4 and a 120.

Welcome to AK! This is only my second season up here so take my advice with that in mind (20+ years trapping in WA and ID prior). I trapped lynx last year under my marten sets. I found leaning pole marten sets worked better for me than just on the tree. This made for a perfect spot to hand a piece of moose hide or chunk of beaver under the pole along with Magnum Marten lure SKUNKY!!! Helped bring in marten but also brought the cats in.

Wolves, well I didn't get any last year. With that said I'm really not looking for them. I aways have two dozen wolf snares in my trapping pack. If I ever come across a moose kill that is active I'm planning on follow the game trails out as far as I can and make blind sets. I had a buddy get one last year on a scent post. He could see where they had been marking a tree and put a #4.5 in the trail heading to the spot on a drag and got a nice male.

Things I learned my first season trapping AK, butcher paper makes great trap pan covers, if you don't use a drag anchor high so you can get to your trap when you get 3' of snow, take GPS coordinates on your sets, and keep a log of everything. Game density is much lower than the lower 48 (at least where I've been trapping). Have fun, I did last yearr and can't wait to get started again this season.

crazedBOWhunter

Limon32 "Is this a serious thread?"

Are there really people like this around that have their heads too far up their own stink hole to help someone out? Tsk tsk ...

Quote Originally Posted by crazedBOWhunter View Post
    Are there really people like this around that have their heads too far up their own stink hole to help someone out? Tsk tsk ...
    Yes there are, there are also extremely helpfull people if someone bothers to post a logical or thought out question. I acutally thought that was a pretty polite question compared to what I expected a few others to post.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Yes there are, there are also extremely helpfull people if someone bothers to post a logical or thought out question. I acutally thought that was a pretty polite question compared to what I expected a few others to post.
    x2

Kind of a vague "I want tips on lynx and wolf sets". There are SOOOOOOOOOOO many different types of set ups for different terrain. Just that one sentence doesn't even illicit advice from me. WE need a little bit more info to be helpful.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I just posted what I generally do. But really its all about the location to me!!! My sets work, if there are animals in the ares

Thanks for the awesome pointers TM! I gotta little break from the grind and I was stoked to see the info you posted.
    Great pics and advice, You're a stand up guy!
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Here in Ontario I trap alot of lynx using only beaver and snares. I find fresh lynx track where there are rabbits so the cats will be around for a while. Wire the thawed beaver to a spruce tree make snowshoe trails leading into the bait from four or five directions and set your trails with snares about 8-10" off the snow. Hope this helps

That's a great set! What size cable are you using? I watched a video on a Canadian trapper and he was trapping in the willows and was using a set cable loop with a 9 gauge wire. Very short snares, slide it all the way open and tie it up with the 9 gauge wire, really easy to mount in the willows. This guy was getting like 150 plus lynx a year. Beaver is great bait! Lynx is even better. What size loop are you making for the lynx? I've been trying about 7" loop I would say about 8" off the ground. I like making pen sets in the willows. A wolf or wolverine would go through the side because they are generally really open, a lynx will take the easy way in along with fox.

thanks, I can't wait for trapping season!

Quote Originally Posted by cantrap View Post
    Here in Ontario I trap alot of lynx using only beaver and snares. I find fresh lynx track where there are rabbits so the cats will be around for a while. Wire the thawed beaver to a spruce tree make snowshoe trails leading into the bait from four or five directions and set your trails with snares about 8-10" off the snow. Hope this helps

You got it teacherman, small snare opened all the way up 7-8", i use either 1/16 or 3/64 7x7 with a cam lock. and like you said set it in the thick willows or spruce to save blocking them in with cut stuff.