Thread: land ownership?

Default land ownership?

How do I find out who owns land I want to hunt on. I'm sure I can call BLM on monday but I'm looking for maybe a map or some way to figure this out on my own. I need to know if its public or private. Any help is much appreciated.

"Roughly" where......Just Roughly......????

You can try the following sites:

http://mapper.landrecords.info/ (State of Alaska)

http://sdms.ak.blm.gov/isdms/imf.jsp?site=sdms (BLM)
    "Your papers are not in order"

roughly palmer area

The BLM produces Land Status maps for most areas showing ownership--private, state, federal, military, native corp etc.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Go to the Mat-Su Borough website. They have tax maps for everything in the valley. It's cumbersome to learn the ins and outs of their website, but it has all the info.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

http://www.matsugov.us/myproperty

just search a name like smith and then click on the map icon. its a slow program but, if you click in the "i" icon then click a parcel it will tell you who owns the land for the entire mat su

thanks sigabrt, the sdms is a lot easier to use than the akmapper. I got what I needed to know!

I looked at a lot of different sites and maps before I posted this thread. The biggest problem I found was the map legends. It would explain ownership for only a few colors but not all colors in the map. Thanks for the help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    roughly palmer area
    you can look in the borough tax site....

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    roughly palmer area
    http://sdms.ak.blm.gov/isdms/imf.jsp?site=sdms

Also (this is good information so don't tell anyone where you got it), I've created a nice shapefile for you to use in Google Earth - it's point locations of every privately owned parcel. There was an entire thread about this a few months ago but I can't find it now. If you go through my old posts, you'll find a bunch of GIS and mapping themes.

parcelpt_private.zip
    (don't worry, it's not a virus... just open Google Earth and click File, Open, and select this file)
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Skinny D- I really appreciate your data. It's pretty cool to look where there is or is not access. However, with the dots showing private property there is really no way of seeing whether there is public access along waterways (which exists on a vast majority of state remote parcels) or section line easements (another great form of access through private property.

The big problem with teh SDMS system is that it's too general. My subdivision doesn't even exist on any of it's layers. In fact, the land status plat is the only source of parcel info and it's horribly outdated. It also is horribly inaccurate. If a regional corp has land in a section, the whole section is highlighted as being regional corp claim. That simply isn't true. In the section where my subdivision is CIRI lays claim to 40 acres out of the 640 acres in the section, yet SDMS highlights that whole section as being region lands. Same goes for village lands. It's a great way to get a clue on what is owned in an area, but is virtually useless in the more settled rural areas like the Mat-Su Borough. The best land use and access info for the Mat Su borough is it's own website.

I appologize. My post sure sounds negative and confrontational. I didn't mean it that way Skinny. That Google data you gave us is priceless. I think I am going to spend some time working up a tutorial on using the Mat-Su Borough website sharing some of the tricks I have learned.

that would be awesome!

SkinnyD...... I used the parcelpt file and it worked the first time i used it (although it was a very slow load) and was useful. Now, I can not open my google earth, It will not work!

I'm sorry folks. I have been out hunting almost every day since duck season began and this thread got bumped out of sight before I got back on here.

overtime: I'm not sure what to make of the file fouling up your google earth. Since it's a zipped file, you'll have to unzip it and then open the .kmz in google earth. (If you don't know how to unzip, right click and select winzip, then extract). Let me know if that continues to be a problem. I'm no IT professional, but I know a thing or two about google earth. If google earth is really indeed dead, you might try uninstalling and reinstalling it. Also check for updates, as an old version of google earth might run slower. Just a thought.

AKDoug: I never use SDMS myself. I think it's too general for almost every purpose I encounter - just as you said. I can create a Google Earth compatible shapefile for any GIS layer on any borough website. The reason I keep posting that point feature class is that it fits within the strictures of the size and type requirements laid down by AOD. Also it fits in gmail emails.

Remember (and this is good advice to live by in many situations), unzip first!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Remember (and this is good advice to live by in many situations), unzip first!
    LOL, you got a chuckle out of me on that one.... me and my potty mind...

There is a office in Anchorage that has plats and names of all Deeded land in the state.