Thread: Gunsmith recommendation needed

Default Gunsmith recommendation needed

I don't know if the rules allow me to ask for a recommendation for a gunsmith, and if it's against the rules, please let me know and I'll delete this post or ask the admin folks to do so. If it's okay to ask for a recommendation to be sent by PM rather than via a post here in the forum, please consider that my request.

Anyway, I have a few handguns I've owned for quite a while and haven't even shot in at least five years. I'm hoping to sell them so someone else can enjoy them. (A Sig .380 cal., an S&W .45, a classic Stoeger .22 cal. Luger, a .22 revolver). I'd like to take them to a gunsmith and have them thoroughly cleaned, lubricated, and made as close to new as possible without spending a fortune, just so whoever considers buying them will get a decent deal.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith in the Anchorage area who would perform that sort of service? I'd do it myself but I'd rather have an expert. No hurry on this.

Thanks for any replies or advice.

Bring them by we discount for multiple cleans

Unless the guns are really in bad shape or broken I wouldn't waste the money getting them professionally cleaned.

Just wipe them down inside and out with a light gun oil - Hoppes 9 will work - and run a patch throught the bore and you are good to go.

If you aren't in a hurry wait and take them to a one of the gun shows and you will be ensured of getting the best price. I think the next one is in Nov. but there may be one before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    I don't know if the rules allow me to ask for a recommendation for a gunsmith, and if it's against the rules, please let me know and I'll delete this post or ask the admin folks to do so. If it's okay to ask for a recommendation to be sent by PM rather than via a post here in the forum, please consider that my request.

Anyway, I have a few handguns I've owned for quite a while and haven't even shot in at least five years. I'm hoping to sell them so someone else can enjoy them. (A Sig .380 cal., an S&W .45, a classic Stoeger .22 cal. Luger, a .22 revolver). I'd like to take them to a gunsmith and have them thoroughly cleaned, lubricated, and made as close to new as possible without spending a fortune, just so whoever considers buying them will get a decent deal.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith in the Anchorage area who would perform that sort of service? I'd do it myself but I'd rather have an expert. No hurry on this.

Thanks for any replies or advice.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

If you aren't in a hurry wait and take them to a one of the gun shows and you will be ensured of getting the best price. I think the next one is in Nov. but there may be one before then.
    yeah the table crows will give ya 15c on the dollar.....or even better, (especially if you bought them at a gunshop and the serial number comes back to you), you can get top dollar from the various felons that walk around (and before I here the screeches of indignation, I can assure you that at the last show in Anc, I saw 4 folks that had been denied on the background check walking around, and another one that I know did time)