Thread: Anyone Else Ever Went Out Sheep Hunting And Returned Home Sucessfull in under 24hrs!?

Exclamation Anyone Else Ever Went Out Sheep Hunting And Returned Home Sucessfull in under 24hrs!?

Well, I wouldn't think it was possie if I didn't just do exactly that!!!!
    First sheep hunt was a success!
    36.5" - 8 years old.
    No airplanes involved in this hunt!
    Like they say, sometimes it's better to be lucky over skilled!
    I am now hooked to say the least!
    Nothing like harvesting an amazing animals like this and being home to your family in under 24 hours from when you
    Left the house. Most likley never happen again to me like this.

wow, that is impressive, I would love to hear the whole story
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Congrats!!! Thats awesome! I know of several same day Rams.....I have a 48 hr Ram. Only because I stopped for a day to celebrate with buddies halfway home. I have two 6 hour Bull moose. Worked all day, get off at 4pm, then shoot a Bull moose on Ft. Rich on the way home. Was in bed by 11pm with the meat hanging, both times.

Well are you gonna tell the whole story, less than 24hrs, no planes. It shouldn't take long to tell the story.

Huh sounds like you had a Friday creek or metal creek sheep tag. Don't need no plane rude for them. Congrats

I do feel lucky! I had no tag, just a harvest ticket. This was my first sheep hunt and first time into this location. It was suppose to be a scouting mission with the possibility of finding something. We knew the direction we wanted to go and just picked our way there. We found a nice area to glass after traveling 2 to 3 hours. We spotted 4 sheep out a good distance. Were discussing going after them for a better view when we glassed the face right behind us. There he was. A solo full curl ram sitting right above us watching us all along. With the spotting scope we could clearly see he was legal. We began getting ready to make our hike when some clouds rolled in on the peaks. This wise old ram gave us the slip while he had cover briefly. A smart move on his part if it was intentional. We didnt know where he went when it cleared, but we were already determined to find him so away we went after him. After reaching his last location my hunting partner noticed a fairly good trail he must travel often up there. That is where he had to have gone he figured. So we trailed him through a bowl and figured we would eventually spot him feeding in the area. After cresting a small knoll he spotted us before we seen him. About 100-125 yards away I would figure. We were in the rain and the wind was in his advantage. He stood there for a 1/16th of a second in disbelief that a couple guys would chase him up there. Took a quick shot and missed. He ran about 20 yards and made most animals signature look back move and this provided the perfect opportunity to make this hike all worth it. Shot from the 300 Ultra Mag mag the perfect connection. No quality meat was wasted and a beautiful set of horns were undamaged!
    This was my first time packing down a mountain, what a difference from a moose. I have never had blisters on top of my toes like this! Still hobbling around from my 24hr hunt!

You guys are killing me with these successful sheep stories! And 24hours??? I did as much homework as I could (not alot of info with sheep hunters being so tight lipped!) and hunted extremely hard for 8 days without even seeing a full curl ram! That is awesome PH! Congrats and thanks for sharing your story!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

32 hours once for me, including fly fishing for rainbows in that time. I awoke the morning after climbing the mountain only to find 3 rams 150 yards above my tent , but all I could do is watch them until they made it over the ridge to begin my pursuit.... for a ewe.
    Permit #1 EWE only Crescent Lake, the first year it went Draw.

ADFG didn't believe when I called and told them I put in for ram permit as #1 choice, not permit #1 for a EWE and that they had mistaken my application !

Congratulations on a fine sheep and great hunt !

WOW!!! That is ridiculous!!! Especially in a harvest area, and I'm assuming withing a couple hour drive of the valley. Good on you guys! Curious as to the mountain range since sheep seem to vary in horn color/flare/etc from range to range. Congrats again!

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    WOW!!! That is ridiculous!!! Especially in a harvest area, and I'm assuming withing a couple hour drive of the valley. Good on you guys! Curious as to the mountain range since sheep seem to vary in horn color/flare/etc from range to range. Congrats again!

AZinAK
    Great now everyone will be flooding the harvest areas in the Kenai mountains looking for 24 hour rams....

It's ok lujon everything will be alright...

Them Kenai mtns do produce some killer rams!

i shot three ewe sheep in 14 when they had those tags, ate breakfast at home and supper at home, skinnin' sheep in the garage each time. saw legal rams on two of the three hunts that coulda been taken in less than 12 hours...it happens. congrats.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Took one ram on a 14C hunt and was home for an early dinner, and another time got one and was home in 36 hours, but never in a harvest ticket area. Congratulations, sir! That is one nice ram!

Just today! Story and pictures tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ToolMan907 View Post
    Just today! Story and pictures tomorrow.
    Wow,looks like you've had no problem to your hiccup in your hunt plans!!!Way to get it done!!!Looking forward to the story and pics.

Told you guys Hatchers had alot of good sheep......... I don't hunt there because its not much of a challenge .............lol

One time my son and I flew out, hiked up and got two rams the first morning by about 10 AM. We packed them back to our plane in two trips and got home that night. The capes were at a taxidermist by 9 AM the next morning. One was unbroomed at 38 1/2 and the other was a very tight set which was broomed considerably and might have been longer if unbroomed. I must admit this was some time ago when sheep were more plentiful.

Nice sheep! I know a guy here in Fairbanks, who just killed his 26th sheep. 95% of his hunts were harvest/walk in hunts. Another friend just took his 5th straight….no airplane/harvest. There is still a ton of good hunting out there. You don't need a plane and thousands of dollars to be successful. Again great job!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans