Thread: 14 Days and Counting....

Default 14 Days and Counting....

Well, the Spring Bear hunt starts very soon here, I been busy doting my i's and crossing my T's getting all my gear ready, ordering a few things here and there, and going over Barney's Bear Hunters list daily. Just wondering if anyone has any last minute advice or words of wisdom. One thing I am a little worried about is that it's been pretty cold here in Kodiak over the past month. Still alot of snow out there! I'm assuming this will effect the bears sleeping time?!

Thanks

GS
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

snow on kodiak don't seem to do squat for timing on bears poppin' outa the hole. i'd figure you won't see any tracks until at least the end of the first week of april, rumors should be starting here soon about bear sightings or tracks, but we wouldn't even start guiding till april 15th and even then on a 15 day hunt bears were sparse..maybe four we'd see..maybe. may it would triple. when season opens you'll pretty much have one bear to look for, get jack to fly you in his cub and look for tracks if you get bored...be a good way to know if theres any activity.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Yep,
    Set your calendar for April 10th. But hey, you only need one, it ain't like your hunting grouse.

Default Rumors

Well the rumors have already started. But it's good to know I have a little time to scout out the area's a little better! Thanks for the Tips!
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

keep calling john at fish and game, he'll tell you when the first bear dies and where, also what they've been seeing troopers fly alot to and they'll tell you if they've seen sign of the bears being out. sharatin mt is a good one to glass, tracks on the east face of that just about every year, hard to see tracks in alot of the rest of the road system, something with the way the sun shines on the snow there, but east side of sharatin is alwasy good for glassing tracks. took a bear off the north side of the prongs one year...little fart real brushy over there. there always seems to be a good bear down between lake miam and pasagshak, seen tracks of a ten three years ago and stalked a nine behind the houses on pasgshak that same years. miam has a big valley and you'll see bears back in there, but don't wait till may cause thats when all the weekend fourwheeler warriors really get moving!! thrid week of april was my favorite for road system.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212