Thread: "Help, I'm Stuck Outside,...!! Where can I go shooting ?"

Default "Help, I'm Stuck Outside,...!! Where can I go shooting ?"

Maybe, this should be on the, "Out and About," forum, but here it is,

My current situation: "Stuck Outside the State, maybe for the Entire Hunting Season,...!!!
    hoping some of you guys can give me some tips, on where I can do some shooting,
    maybe even, "what I can shoot," down here ?

Am in Port Townsend, western WA, working on my boat in the shipyards, maybe for quite a while,
    so started thinking, "Can I find a range, have heard there is a nice one somewhere near ?"

Anybody know of a Shooting Range right outside Port Townsend, even as far away as Sequim, would be ok,?
    and, as I am coming home, for a few days, in early Sept.
    started thinking of grabbing the .243, for some reloading and Rifle Range relaxation,

Can I mail it, (just a Deer Rifle), to myself, if my box is at one of those UPS Store boxes? Does that sound too complicated, or not?

and Lastly, anyone know the short take, on doing some Non Resident Blacktail Chasing, in Wash.?

Port Townsend is "Pretty Green," to put it mildly, girls in Dreadlocks, lots of ponytails on the guys, and all,
    not sure who to ask about killing some of these Deer, these folks are, "feeding in their backyards !?!?"
    They're walking all around the town, eating everyone's flower beds up,.....

Need an Alaskan, to thin stuff out some, maybe ???
    Thanks, ahead of time, for any and all info, on the Extreme Western, Washington State area
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Huh I guess a good start would get the hunting regs for Washington. Something to remember in the L 48 rifle season for deer usually doesnt start until late September/early October also they do not have the liberal bag limits on deer down there as well. Usually 1 deer a year. Can't help you on the rifle range

Still wondering if anyone can give advice on mailing a rifle to myself at a "UPS store" po box,.....Will that be complicated vs. Trying to fly down with it as baggage and carry a rifle case thru the Seattle arpt.
    Just not experienced with all of that, would appreciate tips from from former Pac. NW residents

Thanks 323, on the Deer hunt tips,
    I was thinking the Regs book for WA might be,
    The "long take," on the story. Ykno, how sometimes an official regs book almost takes a local to interpret all the fine details of Drawing hunts vs. Registration hunts (the ones you can still get into late in the year)?

Then there's the "Local Attitude," toward hunters, that I was interested in,.... Hence, my comments on how Green everyone seems around Port Townsend, concerning their home hand fed, local garden munching Deer.

Don't need anyone branding my car with a "Bambi Killer" paint job, just for the sake of some venison.

Haven't even seen a gunshop or hunting gear store for the "quick find," Regs book

Anyone know more on a Shooting range in the area?
    Figure there has to be some hunter/shooters among the old Logger Heritage folks around the area
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

As far as mailing a gun to yourself is perfectly legal. Lotsa of folks do it, to avoid the hassle at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    As far as mailing a gun to yourself is perfectly legal. Lotsa of folks do it, to avoid the hassle at the airport.
    Handguns are a different story - I know Kodiakrain was talking rifle, didn't want some viewers to think handguns were legal to ship also. Good luck KR with the boat and having a little range time..
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

KR, I just did a Google search and a couple came up near you. This one looked to be the closest. God Speed my friend, hope to share a fire with you one day.

http://jeffersoncountysportsmen.dot5...om/page10.html

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Wow, that is pretty close, 2.58 miles by the "Internet Wonder," Maps,
    Thanks Steve, that is the one I had heard about, just did a mental block on Google searching it out.

Looks like a nice one, Ok, I'm going "classy," at the rifle range this fall, yahoo
    Never been to a Covered Range before, getting spoiled just thinking about it.

We'll Most Certainly share a fire, someday, maybe one from a Galley Stove,
    relaxing on a small boat, just offshore, as late Fall darkness descends on Brown Bear Country
    warming coffee, drying out our Kodiak gear,
    while the freshly harvested meat and hides are cooling on Ice below in the hold,....Sound like a plan?

Got a cool boat project going this fall, so it'll be worth missing some "Woods Time" this year, barely,...

Thanks guys for the help,
    Here's to Relaxed, and Safe Range time to Ya,
    and tight groups on target, the kind that make ya Smile, on approach

I shot a couple of rifle matches near PT while I worked at Port Hadlock...check the NRA ODCMP for clubs in the area...nice range

just look for the bad parts of town to shoot.
    Semper Fi!

Look further west to Forks area if you want a less "green" feel. It's just about the polar opposite of what you are seeing now actually. Glad you found a range, as far as the gun, it's absolutely no big whoop to take one as baggage, just put it in a locked case, keep your ammo in an "original" package in a separate piece of baggage, and declare it when you get there. Not a big imposition at all.

The mailing thing is easier within state from my experience, crossing state lines, it gets more complicated. A quick google will get you the legal mumbo jumbo on mailing firearms.

When it comes to that area, you are definitely NOT "stuck" you are on the doorstep of the Olympic Peninsula which is a great place to take a stroll and enjoy whether you have a gun or not. You have the Puget Sound insulating you from what true "Greenie" land is like (read Seattle). With your extensive experience in cruddy weather, you will be amazed than when it drops below 55 and piddles even just a bit, the trails are empty. Folks are rather fairweather down there, especially compared to where you live.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/shooting_ranges/ranges.php

Clallam

Port Angeles Gun Club

360-683-4947
    Clallam Sunnydell Shooting Grounds 360-683-5631
    Clallam Wapiti Bowmen 360-928-9744
    Clallam West End Sportmen's Club 360-374-5420

Kodiak, you might be able to get some answers here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_8/15_Washington.html
    I usually can get decent answers to local questions on the Virginia variant.

Thanks again guys for the help,

I did find the one Stid found for me, Jefferson County Sportsmens, was pretty cool,
    found a couple of the Real Thing, Good Ole' Boys, hanging out there early in the morning having Spam and Eggs for breakfast, i nthe office,

These guys, maybe in their mid 70's, checked me out good, turned out they had been all over Alaska, "Back in the day,..."

knew some guys I knew from Talkeetna, etc.
    AND, they have one Incredibly Nice range out back, I'll be shooting from under a roof, for my first time, Wahoo

Now, just need to get the rifle down, they both agreed, "No Way," you could mail to yourself, if your Po Box is one of those UPS Store boxes,...

So, I'll be trying to tote a rifle through Seattle arpt, without causin too much trouble, not too worried about that part, but I rode buses and trains for about two hours from port Townsend to the arpt, to save having to park my car at the arpt.

Hmmm should be interesting, but I imagine, (as catchit mentioned) the further west I get, the "less green" it'll be .

Probably imagining it to be a bigger deal than it is, just that in all my travels,
    I've never seen anyone carrying rifle cases, through airports like we do in AK,
    maybe Colorado, it's somewhat common, but the TSA is a little more amped up down here too,

should be interesting, and Fun(?) ,
    Can't wait to cut loose a round or two,or forty, in the rain, with Dry Reloading Logbook !!

KR,, I recently bought a TuffPac gun case. It will hold up to 3 rifles, or 1 rifle and 25lbs of gear or so. I got tired of having a rifle case count as a bag and loosing the other 30lbs or so that would make the 50lb limit. Plus the TuffPac don't look like a gun case, they are pricey but with the airlines charging for bags if you travel with your rifle much you quickly get your moneys worth.

Plus you roll through the airport looking like a trendy golfer instead of a steely eyed killer.

http://www.nalpak.com/Tuffpak-1050-G...31303530545341

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Kodiak,

I am sorry I just read this post and so this may be a bit late to help you. I tried to ship a gun through the UPS store here in Eagle River a few years back. They would not do it. I always mail my rifles out USPS. Perhaps that is what you may try to do. As far a a place to hunt, I grew up on the Spokane side of the state so if you can get a rental car perhaps a few hours drive and you are in Mule Deer and Monster Whitetail areas. I can help a tad if you are willing to do that. My family are all a bunch of 4th generation German Farmers from the areas south of Spokane. Could at least try and point you in the general area. Much of the land is already locked up and leased out. But the Eastern side of the state is not as "Californian" as where you are stuck god speed and drop me a PM if you want. I will help anyway I can. Jeff

Just to close out this thread, if anyone stumbles onto it searching out shipping rifles or something,

I did have great success bringing my .243 down from Kodiak, and, as I was carrying it on the public transport system,
    (read that city buses for miles/hours from SeaTac arpt),
    to my car parked safely/cheaply in the shipyard at Port Townsend, the method was key.

I liked Stid's idea, of the nice, and large, hardcase,
    but as I travel so seldom with firearms, decided to just go the bargain route,

on suggestion from Eric at Mack's Sporting Goods in Kodiak,
    (those guys really do know the business, "all aspects imaginable," of shooting and hunting up here, great folks)
    I found, or rather Mack's folks found,
    a cardboard box big enough to cover my rifle hardcase, essentially adding camoflouge, to the view of the normal passerby.
    Now appearing a traveler with a large box, versus looking like a "Steely-eyed killer",.....
    (I love that perfect description of some folks' imaginations gone wild, steve)

So end of story, although the TSA guy in Anchorage, REALLY DID NOT like what I had going on, for some strange reason, he could only hassle me to the tune of twenty minutes lost time, I was plenty early, so no problem,

His issue was that I only had two locks when there were three holes in the hardcase, so had to buy another one. I think he also did not like that mine were not TSA openable locks, but "Alas, he could not do anything about that."

(I also believe he wanted it to look like I was carrying a firearm, and,
    that he had just come on shift, was into some kind of coffee shortage, or ???? who knows why "some," TSA people like to wield power, needlessly?),.....
    I was prepared, so was not much affected, beyond the surprise that I had problems in Alaska, versus the concern for same in Seattle ??

Once in Seattle, for a long day of travel to the Port Townsend, it was easy, and a perfect solution to what would have been way too many "Wondering Glares," I think anyway.

Wish I had taken a picture, but you get it, find a box from your local "Mack's Sporting Goods Cool Folks" (heh heh, if you can find some near you) that fits over your rifle case, it's just as easy, less questions all around

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    Kodiak,

I am sorry I just read this post and so this may be a bit late to help you. ..... I grew up on the Spokane side of the state so if you can get a rental car perhaps a few hours drive and you are in Mule Deer and Monster Whitetail areas. I can help a tad if you are willing to do that. My family are all a bunch of 4th generation German Farmers from the areas south of Spokane. Could at least try and point you in the general area. Much of the land is already locked up and leased out. But the Eastern side of the state is not as "Californian" as where you are stuck god speed and drop me a PM if you want. I will help anyway I can. Jeff
    Thanks for the offer Jeff, I may be the one too late to be asking, but am PMing you now, on the idea of the Eastern country, I have a car with me so am, "Mobile as I need to be,"
    Anyone know the scoop on Coyote Plinking?

Still downloading the F&G booklet, and Deer are running $434 for a NonRes, may be worth it if I can get to the Big Deer country Jeff mentions, otherwise, I am trying to figure out if I can do some of that Coyote Chasing down here, sounds like a blast, and with the new .243,....Wow, I am In 'Em for the winter

TSA and locks, varies with the TSA person it seems.

They do want all the pad lock holes locked up, so I made a bent drill rod and use one lock on the end.

I used to use cable ties and two locks, but those are no go.

TSA in Anchorage does not like TSA locks on guns. Last summer anyway.

Bears more reserach on line with TSA and I will travel with the rules in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Huh I guess a good start would get the hunting regs for Washington. Something to remember in the L 48 rifle season for deer usually doesnt start until late September/early October also they do not have the liberal bag limits on deer down there as well. Usually 1 deer a year. Can't help you on the rifle range
    I don't know what part of the L48 deer season even starts that early. Perhaps out west I guess. Around here rifle season doesn't start until the Monday before Thanksgiving. Bow season doesn't even come in until late Oct.

Earliest Deer here in Washington is Oct 15th, for some 12 days I think it was, then another 3-4 days in later November

Pretty Glad for it also, was 72F today,
    I'm kind of one of those guys, who likes "Natural Meat Cooling," if possible.
    Tho not sure if it'll be much cooler, in October on the coastal area,
    it oughta be going toward the interior, right? Maybe even snowing?