Thread: Moose Creek info please

Default Moose Creek info please

Myself and a buddy are looking at floating Moose Creek from Petersville to Deshka, for a moose/ bear hunt and was wondering the following things?
    How many days?
    Is canoe or raft better on that river and why?
    How is the water level in late September?
    And any other insight that you would give
    Thanks for your time and thoughts
    Lasthillbilly

I've floated it several times but always used a canoe, water can get pretty skinny in some places. A raft would make more sense though if you plan on killing a moose. Plan on a couple days on moose creek and at least one night on the deshka depending on how far down you're going before taking out.

I've done this trip several times as well but in a raft. For fishing we usually figured 3 days if the water was high, 4 will be more comfortable though and you need time to hunt. You will probably drag a few times along the way, but the raft will be better for a load if you get a moose. It is a fun trip and the rainbow fishing on the upper river should be great that time of year.

Good luck and post pics!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Thanks

Thanks so much for the info, every little bit helps. I think will be going with the raft.

How are you guys doing the takeout on this hunt? Is there a takeout you can float to or do you have to get a boat pick up the Deshka/Susitna confluence?

You have to arrange a pick up. I know Willow Air service used to pick up there....not sure about any commercial boat pickups though.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have a buddy w/ a jet boat picking us up, if all goes as planned!! But any info for paid services as a back up would be great. Thanks again for all the info.