Thread: Canning halibut: Any suggestions? Is it not a good idea?

Default Canning halibut: Any suggestions? Is it not a good idea?

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but putting "canning" and "halibut" in the search box gave me a bunch of threads that didn't seem what I was looking for.

I found a few recipes on line for canning halibut, but it seems few people do it, probably because the fish is so good cooked other ways. I have some halibut in the freezer from last year and figured I'd see if it was able to be canned.

One recipe I saw said a teaspoon of olive oil for each pint jar. Another suggested mixing it with a bit of salmon (fresh or smoked). Another said to add a couple drops of liquid smoke.

Does anyone have any personal experience that would provide guidance?

Thanks for any input on this.

I have never canned it but it is very good smoked if you have a smoker.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default olive oil & smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    One recipe I saw said a teaspoon of olive oil for each pint jar. Another suggested mixing it with a bit of salmon (fresh or smoked). Another said to add a couple drops of liquid smoke.
    You don't seem to be getting any help on this, and I can't say I've canned halibut either (its too rare around here to can; here it stays in cut filets vacuum packed & frozen).

But I do exactly that olive oil thing with salmon and it does greatly improve it. So far as the liquid smoke, use it very sparingly I'd suggest, but you probably already know that its a VERY strong flavorant; you might even want to dilute some to make it more measurable.

I canned a bit of it today using some sliced jalapenos, a little olive oil, a few drops of liquid smoke, and a little bit of salt. I'm going to let it sit a couple days and then try it. I'll report back about its edibility.

Final report: Halibut tastes just great canned. It seems to crumble a bit more than salmon when you stick a fork in it to pick some up off the plate. Maybe it's just less "stringy" than salmon. It would probably make a great addition to broth for a nice winter soup or a healthy spread with low-fat cream cheese and green onions. Pretty much good with almost any recipe where you'd use canned fish or canned meat, but being halibut it's not going to have a very distinctive taste.

So, looks like it cans up nicely, if anyone's got 150 pounds of the stuff in the freezer and wants to make room for game or other fish. Or if you just want variety in your canned goods in the pantry.

Now, if I can just get a few nice big pike....

I have a relative who puts a chunk of crabmeat in when canning halibut, it works awesome!

I can halibut and salmon every year. I just add a little pickleing salt is all. My wife loves to open a jar of halibut, throw it in a pan, add some taco seasoning and make halibut tacos. Really quick meal. I got into a canning frenzy 2 weeks ago and canned 24 pints of Moose meat, 24 quarts of moose chilli, 16 quarts of moose speghetti sauce, and 13 quarts of chicken veggie soup. Made momma happy.