Thread: Jet ranger performance advise wanted

Default Jet ranger performance advise wanted

I am running the 401 jet ranger with a mecury 25hp 4stroke jet . Is there a "magic equation/location" for my configuration? How high
    Should I shim the motor up above the transom? 1/2 inch ? I don't wanna take the time to "reinvent the wheel" if someone else has
    got this figured out. I am north slope bound and running short on time. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have the exact set up and just run it as is. I did invest in an air pressure guage from alaska raft and kayak to make sure that i dont over inflate the floor. Jim King can tell you the correct psi. Slap it on and twist the throttle. It takes little getting used to the "Flex". If something seems wrong, let off on the throttle a little, or if you see wrinkles, inflate the tubes more. I love my jet-ranger, just dont let it get you into trouble. It CAN go farther than you SHOULD! Dont lock the motor down if there is a possibity that you could hit something. Always wear your PFD! Did you get the oar lock set up? Hang on tight and enjoy the magic carpet ride!

Check with stid, he too runs a ranger

Han300, how did the ranger perform? Is it worth the money or would a small jon boat access the same area that the ranger did? The answer is obviously no, if you flew in. What I am asking is, would a small jon boat run as well in the water you ran with the ranger?

Default jet ranger

A small aluminum boat will definately outperform a jet ranger with the same motor. The upside of the jet ranger is portability(plane, or another boat). But with a 4 stroke 25 you lose that anyways, just too heavy. I'd suggest finding a used 2 stroke if you want a jet ranger otherwise just buy and aluminum boat with a trailer.

Another trick to the jet ranger is weight distribution. Get it right and your jet ranger will perform much better. Also depending on where you got your weight and how much weight, use different inflation pressures. Otherwise you can get a lot of cavitation.

One of the most important things about the jet ranger is its ability to go into rocky areas
    it will bounce off the rocks and suffer no damage.
    An aluminum boat will not handle touching any rocks. its certain death for the boat in short order as they dent up pretty bad.
    Also Aluminum does not slide over rocks and trees very well, the aluminum grabs hold and stops you short.
    i can jump my jet ranger over beaver dams etc and slide it over exposed gravel bars with ease.
    The fish and game guy at Ella's cabin on the koyokuk river said that I was the first guy that they knew of ever making it past the first 4 miles of a certain stream using aluminum Jet boats . he said they just beat up the aluminum boats trying to get up it.
    I went over 20 miles up that stream.
    The reason an airboat would not work on such a stream was due to the tight turns, and the water moving at over 5 mph, also sweepers , strainers were abundant.
    you may have been able to go up the stream in an Airboat, , but no way to come down it with the flow going at that rate and the h***ards.
    If I were going to run typical rivers that other jet boats run, I would prefer an Aluminum boat instead of the jet ranger.
    I have both an aluminum 14 ft jet and the Ranger, so I can do either boat as I wish, so the aluminum boat would be my choice for the standard river,, but the ranger shines in the tough places like the stream I mentioned above.
    If I had to get rid of either my aluminum boat or my ranger , I would get rid of the aluminum boat hands down.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thanks Bearman and Alskacanoe that is the info I was looking for. I hunt by myself alot and finding skinny streams that others cant get into is what I want to be able to do.