Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brutal place, this is!

Thumbs up Brutal place, this is!

This is a tough place to say anything! I'm sure if I said it was a nice day, I would get 400 replies saying how it wasn't! Not complaining, I think it's great! Good info, and ya never know what reply your going to get each time you post. You definitely get everyone's opinion.

Just a few below:

Leaving your game overnight vs not
    Bow vs gun
    having money vs being poor
    short vs long shots
    big gun vs small gun
    atv vs walking
    trophy vs meat hunting
    rural vs urban
    Alaskans vs lower 48ers
    baiting vs not baiting
    guide vs personal hunters
    filming your hunts vs not filming them

There are several hundred more I'm sure.

The bottom line is, we all want the same thing, which is more hunting oppourtunities. As long as we don't lose sight of that, all will be great.

Keep up the great stuff, and good hunting! Just a couple of short months to go!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Talking Brutal

I take offense to your use of 'brutal'. It is not! lol

Default Amen Brother Amen!!!

I bet all the bickering goes down as the temps warms up!!! If you can't hunt all you can do is talk about it.
    Steve

Smile Long winter!

I hear ya Stid. This long cold March is driving me crazy! And finally after 20 years winning that sheep tag really has me messed up. I even have my pack all ready to go. Set my new mountain tent up in the living room yesterday, and sat in it thinking of my hunt. My wife may kill me before I get to go hunting!

Sorry about offending you, Kingfisher! heh heh

Default Sheep Shape!!!

Denali Hunter, congrats. You could burn off some of that nervous engery by getting into sheep shape now. You will be glad you did about half way up the mountain. Oh yea and remember that THINGS ARE NOT AS CLOSE AS THEY APPEAR. LOL

Good Luck!!!
    Steve

Default Brutal is right

You are so right!!! I read this post and realized I had just told someone to basically stick it in his ear about my "why should I press 1 for English" tag. Still feel that way, but should have been a bit more respectful.....

Thanks for the reminder, and yes, the silly season will be over in a few short months.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Talking picture

Thanks Stid. I've worn out a treadmill in the last month. Lost 15 pounds and am doing 4mph for one hour every day.

By the way, your profile picture if highly offensive, and irritates me everytime I see you sitting on that sheep. It's not making August come any quicker....

I here you, my wife was mad at me for setting up my tent and setting up my raft in the living room the other day. Turkey season opens in Kansas 1 April for bow only. Can't wait, White bass are starting to run now so I am getting out and doing a little fishing down here as well. Your all's time will come, it will be here before you know it. Just hang in there. Kill some bear for me while you are out and about. Just remember to send me a picture of my bear when you kill him. Thanks

Wink

Denali,I was real sick awhile back I thought I might never feel the wind on my face again! God had mercy on me, and i"ve have seen many sunsets since then! The folks that that stomp on others who share thier time, and outdoor experiences with them have missed out on some of the best gifts we can enjoy in this life! Very few of us got to be hunters alone, someone took the time to share what they loved to do. There is something to learn from everyone, it"s a sad thing to think that we know it all. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I am going to also bite my tongue about your first post

I have repacked my gear for my upcoming bear hunt 3-4-5-? times already, it is still there for sure.

Happy hunting 07!!!

Doug

Default Single Mom!!!

Growing as a kid my Mom and Dad split up. So I was raised by my mom and had no one to take me hunting. Living in Florida I was able to fish and learned that on my own. I can remember wanting to go so bad when my friends would go, that I would almost cry. After I joined the Army I got stationed at Fort Polk, a guy that I worked with took the time to show me how to hunt whitetails. How to read sign, where to look, about how they behaved. I think that some take this sport for granted. My own son has no desire to hunt. Some can't stay out of the woods and others just don't get it. I for one love being out there. If my wife would go along with it I would live out in the bush. I ask that others just think what it is like not to have a mentor. If I can help out a hunter young or old, I for one will go out of my way to do so. I wish some one would have taken the time to take me along. I have killed many animals now and thatís not how I measure success anymore. I just enjoy being with folks that love the sport. If I can take a person out and put them on fish or game, that to me is as good if not better than pulling the trigger myself. I believe that in the rush to get there first, or to kill it before the next guy or gal we forget that. Sure I'm still competitive, but lets take time to share what we all love so much with some one that may not have the courage to get out there by themselves, any maybe just maybe be a little nicer to the next guy or gal that we meet on the forum, the creek bank or at the trail head. I got to spend some time with other hunters while waiting to be flown out at the end of my sheep hunt and moose hunt. Even shared my tent with a Lawyer that got left at the take out because of weather with no gear. The time I spend around the fire sharing stories was some of the highlights of those trips. So lets all be just a bit more respectful. I don't think that is too much to ask, I know I was raised better and I believe most were as well.

Happy hunting.

Steve

Ha what do you mean buy what your saying

Default Stid

That may have been the best post I have read on this forum. Thank you for making us stop and think about the things that are truly important.

Thanks again!

Steve,

Thanks for that great post, really makes you think about things. I have the feeling without meeting you that you have done pretty well and really have things in order as well as being a fantastic father and husband.

I can relate very well with what you said about hunting as every year I spend more time taking people out than I do actually hunting for myself, I do not feel the least bit deprived, in fact I love it.

Don't feel bad about your son either, he will come around. My son is the same way right now at 18 yrs old but my 15 year old is as eaten up with it as I am. My eldest is just caught up in school, girls, college coming up etc, but he too will jump back into again I am sure of that.

Keep up the good work and great attitude, you are making a difference.

Doug

Default Thanks.

Me and my son do things together, he just never enjoyed the outdoors. I guess some are like that. Hard to understand when you enjoy it so much you think everybody does. I'm really looking forward to this season, my health prevented my from really hunting hard last year. Maybe I'm starting to look at things differant, thinking you might die will tend to do that. However, got my health back and I'm going to chase them bears all over the woods. I plan on making them know how a moose calf feels, or I hope to anyway. If anything happens then I died doing what I love and a man just can't ask more than that. Happy hunting to all.

Steve

It is my youngest that isn't interested in the outdoors. He is 21 now and still has no interest. He did go hunting a couple of times in deer season when he was 12 and 13, he took a couple of deer and that was all he wanted. He is more in to computers now.

Best days, When my oldest took his first deer, dad sitting beside him and talking him thru it. It is hard to believe the feelings you get when someone takes their first animal. It is better than anything you have ever felt before. I sat and talked my youngest thru his first deer also, same feeling start flooding in. Wish I had more kids to take on there first hunt, you could live for that feeling.

I wonder is guides get this same feeling when clients take their animal.

Thanks for this thread, It brings back great memories.

barko;

Cant speak for huntting guides but as a fly fishing and kayaking guide the days that made it woth while were seeing a newbie land his first trout on a fly or watching a paddler finally hit a good roll. Those days definatly made up for all the snotty behavior long time flyfishers and padlers can exhibit. However I dont think they come close to a fathers pride watching his son or daughter grow and mature. My son is only 4 months old and already I've been the happiset guy in the world due to his little acomplishments, sitting up on his own, eatting solid food, even the first time he smiled was amazzing. I look forward to my sons first fish, hunt, paddle ect and now know why my Dad had that guffy looking grin on his face when I did my firsts.

Just one proud Dady's opinion.
    Rick P

Smile Nice thread

A nice breath of fresh air. My brother in Anchorage introduced me to this site, and I've participated in a few threads when I thought that I had something good to add. I've enjoyed reading about the many success stories from this past year and have benefitted from a lot of info and tips. A very good site that I've now told others at work about.

However, a great point made in this thread. I've seen some other threads develop a confrontational or otherwise critical tone that pretty quickly turned my interest elsewhere......towards looking at different threads......which is fine. I have the freedom of choice (our precious US of A given right), and I don't mind exercising it. The same choice that would make it unlikely that I'd post to one of those threads. I think sometimes participants don't realize (or care) that the written word can be easily mis-interpretted. This thread was nice to read. Thank you.

Mike

well as a guide,watching a client nail something thats been a dream for 40 years is awesome, tears well up, hugs and just plain out thrilled! its great, i get all the benifits of hunting with no taxidermy bills! had a 15 year old get a nice grizz with his dad once, that was really neat to be a part of, father son hunts are by far my favorite, the dads are always so gun ho for their kids to have a great time!
    Some guys could care less...."what'd that score?, will that make book? my buddies is this big, is that one bigger? no way would i shoot somethign that dont' make book, not killing it less its ten foot..."blah blah, those guys make my job more like work with sucky people. sucks the joy and the adventure outa hunting, so busy worried about pages in a book or braggin' rights they miss out on the hunt, next thing they know i say "take 'em" and its over. they missed the game, only showed up for the end. their loss. feel bad for guys like that...but the ones who really love to hunt and are there for the adventure and memories rather than the status quo of having a big bear...they make it all worth while!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Stid

Great post. I am glad someone showed you the ropes at Fort Polk. I was stationed there in 93-96 and had a good time chasing whitetails.

I started taking my stepson this year and I really didn't think he would like it. We had to bowhunt Andrews Air Base (a place they call Brandywine) and I knew that would be tough for him seeing deer and not getting a shot a lot of times. He told his mom he loved going hunting because it was so peaceful and there was no noise....I was pretty surprised that he said that because he's into Hip Hop and such. I was also surprised how much patience he had on stand, often 3-4 hours at a time. I think he will be a hunter for life now and I am glad I took him.

If we all just introduced one guy/gal per year, we wouldn't have to worry about the anti's outnumbering us!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast