Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak billy hunt 2011...

Default Kodiak billy hunt 2011...

Just wrapped up a great, tough DG 471 hunt on Kodiak; tough weather and tough country, but a really great time. This is a walk-in unit with no alpine lakes to drop into. The hike starts on the salt many miles from the shaggy white guys. Once up high through the thick alders and pucker brush, things get easier.
    I did this hunt with my son from Fairbanks, my wife and a close friend who has wanted to see AK. He was kind to photo the hunt and haul with the best of them.

We ended up hiking about 22 miles overall and saw about ten bears but had no problems with the big guys. The humpy run down low was thick as were the salmon berries in the sub alpine zone.
    The unit's billy goats are plentiful, but low ceiling and their staying in extremely rugged country made it a real challenge to get into a couple of likely ten inch billies I had spotted.
    Crampons/climbing gear would have helped, but weather was the biggest obstacle. Huntable time amounted to about 18 hours out of five days.
    In the end, I managed to take a nice billy, a bit under nine inches with good mass and a nice hide for August.

Roland from Seahawk was a total pro as usual...

camp...

Billy down...

The prize...

Many thanks to some forum members who helped make this dream a reality...
    TBinKodiak, BRWNBR (Jake), Whitepalm, also John Crye, head bio from Kodiak F&G--a total class act. AK is lucky to have such a knowledgeable and helpful biologist.

One more thing... I made one HUGE mistake on this hunt. I forgot my old-school compass.
    OUCH.
    Overall, we had three GPS units and two with us on the day the billy was killed. After field dressing and starting the hike back to our camp a wicked rain/pea soup fog set in and we literally hiked in circles for hours as the GPS units consistently lied to us switching back and forth to which way our camp was. The packs were heavy; we were soaked and exhausted and miles from warm tents and food.
    Ultimately we finally managed to see a drainage/landmark and get our bearings and back to our camp just as darkness was setting in. It was really a reminder how easy things can go wrong.
    Don't forget the old-fashioned compass, especially on Kodiak!
    Proud to be an American!

One more of the best hunting pards a man could have...

Proud to be an American!

Anytime you can be outdoors with family and friend is great. To get a nice billy to boot...... Doesn't get much better than that. Congrats. I hope my goat hunt turns out with similar results.

brings back memories! glad you connected and more glad you had a great time with family. spent a night on a kodiak mtn in 100mph winds with a tent flat on my face and rain running thru it all night once...killed a goat the next morning. gotta love kodiak, if you plan on takin' from it, plan on givin' too!! congrats on a great trip!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Congrats on the billy. Sounds like a great hunt and I'm glad I could help out.

Very nice - the most challenging trips also make the best lasting memories! Life is good!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Default Congratulations

Nice goat - from an "old timer" who hasn't hunted goats since 1971. I have, however, hunted Kodiak for deer in the last couple of years and you are correct on at least 2 counts - Roland is a class act (as are the rest) and DON'T forget your compass.

Again - CONGRATULATIONS - Kodiak is a great place to hunt.

ps - That's not a Kodiak blacktail in my avatar - but it is a blacktail.
    Last edited by Phil; 08-26-2011 at 08:27. Reason: added thought

Well done, things seem all the sweeter when conditions are challenging and end in success.

Very Nice Goat there, Congrats
    and the photos with Wife, and Son, and Good friend, and Goat and weather factors and, well Kodiak, .....
    Good Story, Thanks
    Thats some Weather Reality Hunting for us all to enjoy, dream about, hope for (from relative comfort of computer desk anyway) Wishin' I was there
    and "Agree Heartily" on that John Crye guy, as Cool Biologist
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

It is NOT full Curl............Just kidding. Well done, Congratulations. The only times I have every been lost in Alaska was because of heavy fog.

Nicely done, sir. That's one goat down...when does the Idaho goat hunt commence? Not too many people get to chase goats twice in one year. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story once it is written.

Congratulations to you! Our most recent trip to Kodiak was for goats last year, and I'll second you on Rolan, Mr. Crye, the fog, and an old-school compass. We also had an interesting episode with weather, darkness, and the gps. Good luck on your Idaho goat hunting adventure. I've got two brothers there that have held trophy mule deer tags in consecutive years. I'm hoping to make it down there to tag along on this year's installment. Again congratulations!

Backtracking with a heavy load SUCKS!!!

Sweet looking camp.
    Alpine is awesome...

Congratulations on a successful goat hunt! Is that all your gear for four people in the first picture? You guys know how to pack lite. How much did your packs weigh? Also what gear worked and what didn't? How far was the shot? Did you see lots of goats?

YOU KILLED WILLIAM!!

Nice hunt, bud!

Taylor

Congrats on the billy! Thanks for the read.

Congrats of the Mt. Goat. It must be cool to have the family with. I'm curious as to the problem with the two GPS units? Did you ever figure that one out?

Default GPS

Nice billy, congratualtions! You need a GPS that has a good atena & bread crumb trail capabilities. I still even mark the snow chutes or my path w/ stacked rocks just in case on Kodiak goat hunts. Its a sick feeling to be wondering in that stuff in goat country. How old was your goat?

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Nicely done, sir. That's one goat down...when does the Idaho goat hunt commence? Not too many people get to chase goats twice in one year. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story once it is written.
    Plan on hunting the last week of September and into October. I'll post details if I get lucky out there. I've scouted and located a few big guys.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    Congratulations on a successful goat hunt! Is that all your gear for four people in the first picture? You guys know how to pack lite. How much did your packs weigh? Also what gear worked and what didn't? How far was the shot? Did you see lots of goats?
    Saw about forty goats overall. About 1/3 billies. Shot at my billy was 173 yds virtually straight down as I got above him while he was bedded in the snowfield. Two shots from my .270 win with 150 grn. XP3 Winchester supreme bullets did the trick. I let the followup shot go when I suspected the goat might get up and head for a ledge. He didn't.
    There has been some discussion here over the years about goat loads; small caliber is fine for goats imho. Placement is everything. Go for the vitals and take some bone on the way in!

Concerning gear, yes, four backpacks was it, and a blue tarp that Rolan tossed to us. He must have known how absolutely crappy the weather was going to be.
    Packs averaged about 32 pounds each with provisions for seven days.
    Overall, gear worked perfecto. We had two sleeping tents, RAB mountain bivy (tent) and an Intergral Designs MKIII--two of the best out there. Our "rain" tent was a GoLite Utopia 4 man--3 lbs with poles and worth its weight in gold for the long days of card playing and snacking on elk jerky.
    Packs: Blacks Creek, Lowe Alpine, Eberlestock and REI.
    Stove was an MSR pocket rocket with ignitor.
    Bags were a mix of Marmot and Mountain Hardwear down and synthetic. Down was just fine, btw. Everyone survived.
    Pads were Thermarest prolite and ultralight.
    Poles were Leki, BD carbon and Life like.
    Water was filtered through Aquamira squeeze bottles.
    Outer Clothes were Core4element and Mountain Hardwear--5 stars.
    Rain gear was Marmot precip, MH and Natural Gear--5 stars.

Boots were a mix of Danner, Merrell and Wolverine. I opted for the Merrell Moabs this year. I loved them! The super light weight and waterproof construction was great climbing over endless alder limbs and staubs. Also, they were three pounds compared to the usual six for my 14 EE "hunting" boots.
    The only disappointment was the Icy bay neoprene gloves I picked up at Mack's in Kodiak. They were soaked immediately.

Half the fun of outfitting a trip like this is using great gear scored at great prices.
    Proud to be an American!

Nice Billy Frank! I wish I was there with you..... Big

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast