Thread: Anyone willing to help me out with some moose hides?

Default Anyone willing to help me out with some moose hides?

I am trying to help out a native American friend of mine and we need a bunch of moose hides. Is anyone willing to help us out? I can pick them up from you anywhere in the valley or Anchorage. It would be very much appreciated!!

FYI..We are not selling them, she is tanning them the traditional way (brains) and sews them into dresses for traditional dancers. Good cause!

Thanks in advance

Do you need them whole or is smaller pieces okay? I'd be willing to hang on to the hide but we usually cut it at least in half. Makes it easier for while quartering. Let me know.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Using moose hide to make dresses does not make sense to me a moose hide is very thick and the hide would have to be split. I would think deer, bear, or caribou make more sense.

Athabaskan seamstress's split the hides to reduce weight and make clothing grade moose leather.Good for summer clothing. My wife has studied such in her self schooling, and its done with a careful scrapeing. Eskimo 'round here have no use for Moose in such a way as most clothing are based on caribou and smaller game skins/furs.
    If I hunted Moose, I would most likely try such , just to try
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I might have one for ya

We'll be butchering a cow (steer, not moose) in october, I plan to use half of it, would she want it or is it not traditional(its black with a white belly)?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Thanks for all the help guys but I was just informed she does not want any this season, she is too busy with other hides this year.

Sorry for the false alarm but she is very excited for next year so I will hit you up then.

Thanks again!!