Thread: A Review of Bore Solvents

Default A Review of Bore Solvents

So I clean my rifles and pistols very religiously. What I mean by that, is that I spend all day Sunday cleaning guns that I shot on Saturday. Until today, I have not really been happy with any of the cleaning methods or solvents used to get the bore utterly clean.

As a kid, and young adult, I always knew that there was nothing other than Hoppes #9 for cleaning. Well, here's what I now do with Hoppes #9: just spill some around the bench for nostalgia... or use is as cologne... it's worthless for anything else.

I later tried Hoppes Elite bore gel. It is worth even less than #9, since it doesn't even have that smell that brings me back to the days of being a 12 year old at deer camp in West Virginia.

After Algore invented the internet, I started looking around for other ideas, since I borrowed a borescope from work, and realized just how worthless the previous solvents were.

Shooter's Choice was next given a multitude of recommendations. By this time, i'd picked up a Ruger in 35 Whelen which if I could turn inside out, would make a great bar file. This particular Ruger has a rough spot easily visible near the muzzle which always catches some copper. It seemed to work ok after about 50-60 patches were jagged through it, but still took too darn long. I thought it was good stuff since it cleaned a lot of stuff out that the Hoppes products left behind, as well as eventually getting that telltale streak of copper near the muzzle.

Still a lot of work, so I googled some more... next was Butch's Bore shine... this got the barrel "squeeky" clean... literally squeeked back and forth down the barrel... good stuff- but alas, that streak of copper was still there in the groove near the muzzle.

Ok, now I stayed up late at night on some benchrest forums, and I found that the answer to my problems was Kano Kroil and JB Bore paste. I tried all known methods, with straight Kroil, mixed Kroil with Shooter's Choice, mixed Kroil with Butch's, etc... followed by JB paste. I'm sure I made the barrel smoother, but it was no faster or easier in cleaning that anything else tried thus far.

I'd in the past... once... tried some foaming bore cleaner from a local marine supply/ sporting goods store in Homer. It seemed to be a bit easier, and faster than previous methods, but was too **** expensive...$15 for one good cleaning, and the stuff was sticky/ messy

So, today, taking one of my Colt Pythons to WWG to fix a timing issue, I notice some "Patch-Out" on the shelf. I asked if it was any good, since I'd tried some foaming cleaner before, but wasn't too impressed. Ken said something to the effect that Wipe-out was great stuff, and using the accelerator with it was the way to go- he also said that they get 10 rifle cleanings per can with the stuff (the other stuff took a whole can to foam the bore the 3 times it took to get clean) I'd heard of wipe-out, and assumed it was the stuff I got in Homer and didn't really like too much.

But, what the heck, I got a bottle of Patch-out (the liquid version of Wipe-Out), a can of Wipe-Out, and a bottle of accelerator. So far, in the 2 hours since I got home, I've used the foaming Wipe-Out on 3 of my rifles. With only a 30 minute soak (with accelerator) all of them are absolutely spotless. The telltale streak of copper near the crown on my .35 was gone in less than 5 minutes. Also, at 12.99 a can, I've cleaned 3 rifles, and have used a LOT less than half of the can... which is really not that bad, since I have 2 more bores soaking as I write this, and my time is money (I'd rather be spending my time on internet forums than cleaning rifles lol)

Well, that's it, an anecdotal review only, but that's what you get on the internet. Still trying to research if it's OK to use in my collection of AR's with gas tubes.

I wish you could try mine. But doggone it, it is considered hazmat by the PO so I can't mail it, and I haven't found a source for small four-ounce cans yet.

Best bet will be to purchase ammonia solution from a cleaning supply house. It should run about 10%, that will remove copper, but just remember, you'll have to scrub it again. Does it really matter? When dealing with factory barrels, you cannot expect them to be near perfect like a quality barrel.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Buttt Butt Butttt, Hoppes 9 Smells SO FINE! and what about when your sittin on your bed cleaning our gun right before you hit the hay, and you spill half the bottle, nothing gives off that nice smell that brings out the best in any man, makes him feel young again like good ol hoppes 9 and there aint nutin better than smelling fresh hoppes 9 on your morning squirrel hunt. or maybe you do take a couple fast shots at a rabbit and what do you smel other than burning hoppes 9.

How dare you betray us.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

In my 50 years of cleaning guns, I will say that there is NOTHING better than Wipe Out

Great stuff and many thanks to WWG for making it available locally!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Good post Akheloce:

I hadn't found any cleaner that worked for me, worth a hoot myself until recently.

I tried a bunch of'em too. Including Hoppes #9, Hoppes BR, Barnes, Sweets, Butch's Bore Slime, Blue Wonder. and Wipe Out.

The Wipe Out seemed to work, but it was so MESSY. (I probably wasn't doin it right, and I would always get the foam into the action.) It didn't last long, or I threw it away.

Anyhoo, not too long ago, I tried GUNSLICKS Version of a Foaming Cleaner. It has a tube that is too big to fit inside the barrel. I take the gun outside, and put the tube into the breech, and spray until the foam comes out the end of the barrel. THEN, I wait 1/2hour, (following directions, for a change) and push it out with a patch.

This stuff works great, and it's easy. I'll get a LOT more than 10 cleanings. Besides, it's a BEEG can.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    In my 50 years of cleaning guns, I will say that there is NOTHING better than Wipe Out
    I couldn't agree more Ken, and WWG has been very kind when buying it by the case... Thanks again.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Good post Akheloce:

I hadn't found any cleaner that worked for me, worth a hoot myself until recently.

I tried a bunch of'em too. Including Hoppes #9, Hoppes BR, Barnes, Sweets, Butch's Bore Slime, Blue Wonder. and Wipe Out.

The Wipe Out seemed to work, but it was so MESSY. (I probably wasn't doin it right, and I would always get the foam into the action.) It didn't last long, or I threw it away.

Anyhoo, not too long ago, I tried GUNSLICKS Version of a Foaming Cleaner. It has a tube that is too big to fit inside the barrel. I take the gun outside, and put the tube into the breech, and spray until the foam comes out the end of the barrel. THEN, I wait 1/2hour, (following directions, for a change) and push it out with a patch.

This stuff works great, and it's easy. I'll get a LOT more than 10 cleanings. Besides, it's a BEEG can.

Smitty of the North
    I'm replying to my own msg, because I was premature. I jumped to conclusions.

The last few times, the Gunslick worked reely well. THIS TIME, it DIDN'T.

I had to resort to repeated efforts, including what might be called, "Ammonia Means", and finish with a cupla more applications of the Gunslick.

It may be a matter of how bad the copper is, in the first place. OR, the solvent I used before when I noticed the copper fouling, and foamed it.

I didn't mean to mislead anybody.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Sweets 7.62 is a strong ammonia solvent and works well for me. Never did run out of my first bottle until I had to ditch it when I moved. I do find the Hoppes new copper solvent (non-toxic) work pretty well and not as expensive as Wipeout. Wish I hadn't had to get rid of my pint of Hoppes #9 along with the Sweets when I moved...

I have tried all mention except the sweats and found I must have Hoppes#9, Kroil, and Shooter choice. Add in JB past and Hoppes BR Oil and I am fine for all gun cleaning rifle and shotguns. I have JAGS for both and nynlon bore brushes too.

Still have cans of Gunslick Foam/BoreTec/Butches bore shine/TM solution. Tried breechwood synthedic oil/break free oils but the above stuff is my good to and can't be with out.

As said before you could sell Hoppes #9 calone and air freshners and that new burnt gun powder smell. WIN 20ga AA I perfer but CCI 22LR is good too.

I keep Hoppes #9, Shooters Choice, Barnes Copper Remover, Kroil Oil, JB Bore Paste and Tetra Gun Oil on my bench. I use Shooters Choice and Barnes Copper Cleaner the most. A while back I picked up some M PRO 7 solvent and oil after reading about it. I will probably try it on a couple of hand guns first. If I could wave a wand and clean my guns I would wave the wand. If you had 10 of the worlds most experienced Bench Rest shooters together they would all be using a different method and different cleaning components.

I just Pee down the barrel - if that don't work I drink more bourban to strengthen the solution, or just keep shoot'n the gun, or sell it and buy a new one!

My list is rather lengthy also - I am not a fanatic over cleaning by any-means, I loose interest after about an hour...

I reckon now I have to find some Wipe Out - Smelling Hoppes and fired shotshells is darn near a religious experience the way I see it!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

If you want to remove copper, then wipe out is the ticket. I tried it in my Rem 760 autoloader in 35 whelen and decided to clean the tube gas tube out when I noticed it was sticky from the residual foam. I use the patch out now and it does not get in the gas tube. I also don't worry much about copper fouling my 35 whelen because it shoots so slow and I don't shoot it frequently anyway. I keep it reasonably clean and call it good. I am cautious not to mix solutions, who knows what the chemical reactions will be.

My 300 RUM, 300 win and 375 Ruger leave ALOT of copper from Barnes bullets. I have tried them all and found nothing better than wipe out. Get a system down to control blow back into the breach and don't use too much. Let it soak over night and you are set to go. I have got some in the magazine and my shells came out all discolored several weeks after cleaning. It does not happen now because I am much more careful about getting all the solvent out.

Try their challenge. Clean a gun with your favorite solution then re-clean the gun with wipe out. If you do this, then you will have no more questions.

For long term storage I want a spanking clean bore. But for may shooting season all my guns want some fowling to shoot at their best. A quick cleaning with Hoppes#9 is all and nothing during the time I will be actualy hunting with them .