Thread: Vessel Documentation

Default Vessel Documentation

FYI

I was boarded last weekend in PWS, 20 miles from Whittier, and was surprised when the State Trooper asked for the Federal renewal paperwork. The boat is a federally documented vessel and did not have a state AK####. I did not think the State Troopers would ask for Federal documentation paperwork. The boat was splashed for the first time in June and I was not cited.

Just passing this along to the other GC owners who are documented.

It is my understanding that it is a USCG requirement to have a copy of the USCG Vessel Documentation on board the vessel at all times.

The USCG documentation identifies the vessels owner in the same manner as an AK registration does.

So you must have either the USCG Documentation or an AK Registration on the boat at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
    It is my understanding that it is a USCG requirement to have a copy of the USCG Vessel Documentation on board the vessel at all times.

The USCG documentation identifies the vessels owner in the same manner as an AK registration does.

So you must have either the USCG Documentation or an AK Registration on the boat at all times.
    SB is correct. You must have a copy on the boat. That being said, you do not have to allow Troopers to board the boat. You can say no. They do need reasonable cause, such as seeing fish blood or fish on the boat. I have been checked several times and have not been boarded. They just ask questions.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    SB is correct. You must have a copy on the boat. That being said, you do not have to allow Troopers to board the boat. You can say no. They do need reasonable cause, such as seeing fish blood or fish on the boat. I have been checked several times and have not been boarded. They just ask questions.
    No, will most likely get you boarded for a safety inspection, but most times they will just play the question and answer game. Seems lately to be a push for enforcement and safety checks. I hate to say it but it seems to be working. Just look thru the trooper dispatches. Either way I always welcome them aboard and offer up hot coffee.

So what is the enforcement breakdown? Do the Coast Guard & Troopers enforce the same rules? Or can the Troopers only write fish tickets and the Coast Guard only writes safety violations? Anyone know if enforcement varies as to whether your vessel is state or federally registered as well? Just curious, I appreciate them both being out there, just like to know where I stand when approached on the water.

I've never been "boarded" by AST, but have been checked on occasion over the past 35+ years (never in salt). They have never been interested in anything other than licenses, catch, species, and the like. I've been boarded by the USCG a few times in the same time frame (always in salt). They always have a specific routine they go through, and have never been the least bit interested in anything other than making sure my boat is "up to snuff" regulation wise (registration, pfd's, fire extinguishers, etc.) I'm pretty sure if they saw something they didn't like during their inspection concerning something else, (like obvious fishing violations) they'd call in or turn you over to "proper authorities".

AST inforces State law, fish and game and boating safety. The Coast Guard inforces all fed laws! Just so you know a copy of your Documentation is not OK it has to be the original!! You can check the CFR for the amount of the fines per day.

Good post MGH and spot on. Just a note to all, this was a great post but more folks might see it and either benefit or chime in if it were listed under power boating in general. Don't get me wrong, love the GC forum, just want to see more folks share the wealth!