Thread: Any word out of Kotzebue?

Default Any word out of Kotzebue?

I am heading up on Sept 8th and was wondering if any animals are being seen.

thanks in advance and be safe.

Are you going for caribou or moose, or both?

How are you getting there? Just a heads up, but Runway closures may be an issue. Currently a closure in the works for the night of Sept. 5th - morning Sept. 8th. Might change, depending on weather and construction schedule.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

How are you gonna get around?

Ive seen more than quite a few Caribou along the coast, and Im hearing from locals on the river the ridgetops in Kobuk vally have some of the first cows making trails southward, but no major "push's" of animals. They get left alone so they make scent trails that followers can be counted on following later. As well, Lotsa Ox, Moose and such, a good year for all kinds of animals, really.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Flying in on Alaska Air and then flying into the field with Jim Kincaid with Northwestern Aviation. Have used him before and he has been great everytime. We plan on caribou, but I will have a moose tag also. Caribou is a better "party hunt", but if a big bull shows himself, I will be hard pressed not to take the shot. We are planning on heading up around the Nimi or Anisak. Thoughts?

What is going on with the runway?

Are you guys floating or doing a drop camp? I'll be up that way on the 16th, be interested to know how your trip goes. Last year we
    Started our hunt on the 7th and the migration was pretty slow still. Not too sure how the weathers been up there but hopefully some
    cooler temps bring them down to you guys. Good luck

Kotzebue's Runway is inna middle of upgrades and improvements, our local airtaxi's need only a small strip and the cross wind strip is fine, its the main strip getting resurfaced.

AK airlines assured me I would be able to get out on the 30th without issue for my tma tag. The guys in ambler saw a couple bou down river last week. None around shungnak yet. Someone tell me how to reduce the file size on a pdf and I can post the calender listing the closures.

also heading up that way,but Sept 27 looking foreword to some reports as well

I have several customers in Kotz and have been shipping out several electrical material orders daily and I have been hearing of many problems with flights all messed up because of the airport work. Everts Air seems to be the best bet for cargo. AK Air has been cancelling and changing flights daily...

On those days the runway is closed, Bering Air is running additional flights from Nome to Kotz

I'll second Everts for cargo. They do good. Now after they hand it off to one of the other guys......... then who knows sometimes. How does an 18 foot long crate of snap rib roofing go missing? Oh well.

The Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities announces a two day closure on September 6 and 7 of the Ralph Wien Memorial Airport (OTZ) Kotzebue Airport project due to a delay in paving.

The safety improvement project on Runway 9/27 started July 9 and has required partial closures of the runway. Safety improvements include pavement rehabilitation for the main runway and taxiways, and replacement of the runway lighting systems. Runway 18/36 is not be affected by the project.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

haven't heard of too many people out hunting yet. i've heard of a few heading south already though but mostly through the park.

Wondering if anyone has an update to the Kotzebue area as far as caribou hunting or the mIgration? Thanks for any info.

Bet you guys miss the WATCH Report!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Mile 127.5 of the Rich!
    Formally Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals

Met some guys here in Kotzebue that hunted the Nimi this last week, and were quite sucessfull, they said staedy stream of Meat is whats going on, even as thy left yesterday.

Its hear/say, but they certainly happy