Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E.O. There goes the Knik Arm

Default E.O. There goes the Knik Arm

August 25, 2011
    For Immediate Release
    Emergency Closure Affects Knik Arm Area Coho Salmon SportFisheries
    By emergency order, effective beginning at 12:01 a.m. Saturday, August 27, sport fishing forcoho (“silver”) salmon is prohibited in all waters of the Knik Arm Management Area,excluding Fish Creek and the Eklutna Tailrace. The management area is described on pages 33-35 of the 2011 Southcentral Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations Summary booklet.Popular Knik Arm-area coho salmon sport fisheries affected by this emergency closure includethe Little Susitna River, Wasilla Creek (Rabbit Slough), Cottonwood Creek, and Jim Creek.The closure prohibits sport fishing for coho salmon, including catch-and-release fishing. Cohosalmon may not be retained or possessed; coho salmon accidentally caught while fishing forother species may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately.The 2011 return of coho salmon to most of the Knik Arm Management Area streams appears tobe below average as indicated by angler reports, commercial and recreational catch rates, staffsurveys, and weir counts. As of August 24, only 1,447 coho salmon had passed the LittleSusitna weir. Based on these weir counts, the department is projecting a total escapement of6,000 coho salmon, well below the escapement goal range of 10,100—17,700 fish.Fish Creek and the Eklutna Tailrace are excluded from this restriction because the coho salmonescapement goal was achieved at Fish Creek prior to the sockeye salmon weir closing, and theEklutna Tailrace is a stocked fishery.
    END
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

as long as they dont close the tailrace im good to go
    Semper Fi!

Default I feel vindicated

Hmmmm....where are all of the people now that were putting me down in my post about commercial fishermen castrating Alaska's salmon fisheries. I really feel vindicated!!!!! Thank you Lord for feeding crow to those that trashed me in my other thread post.

Definitely slower this year but I didn't think it was THAT bad!

also kinda late... the runs at Jim and Wasilla are pretty much over anyway. and while I noticed it slower at Jim's than previous years it wasn't that bad.

Mind you I haven't fished Little Su, or Eklutna for silvers so maybe my experience was not typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    Hmmmm....where are all of the people now that were putting me down in my post about commercial fishermen castrating Alaska's salmon fisheries. I really feel vindicated!!!!! Thank you Lord for feeding crow to those that trashed me in my other thread post.
    Really?????? You got trashed because your argument was about as asinine as it gets. The only point you could have made that might have given your post any credibility was that when the comm guys were out there 24/7 fishing reds they were yarding in silvers as well. Not to say I am not naive to think they didn't get a few but not enough to cause closures. Seriously it would be like me saying oh this whole site is garbage now because of the things you post, which isn't the case. And honestly I am currious why you feel the way you do. You do realize if they close a river down the comm guys get shut down too right???????? So they feel it just as much if not more so then they sport fish guys.

And I am still waiting for my "crow". Any day now!!!!!!!!! Good talk.

First of all, I didn't see that people were putting you down or trashing you. The question that was posed to you is how do you know that the low returns are due to commercial fisheries? The commercial nets are out there year in and year out. Sometimes there are phenomenal returns and some years the runs fail to return in large numbers. What evidence do you have that this is the fault of the commercial fisheries? For what it's worth, the Cook Inlet coho catch numbers were posted in another thread, and so far this year they have caught between 1/2 and 1/3 of their average total. So...the commercial fleet has caught significantly fewer silvers than normal...and the poor runs are their fault? I'm not trying to be rude here...but how do you figure?

I don't why people from outside are allowed to trash our way of life on this forum. I was in a perfectly good mood before I read this. How am I supposed to respond and stay w/in the rules when I'm so furious? I guess I need to be more diplomatic like Brian and Kenaibowfan, I find it easier to save time and plant a foot in his ass but thats not permitted, so here I am frustrated....anybody wanna go golfing at sleepyhollow? Phish?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I don't why people from outside are allowed to trash our way of life on this forum. I was in a perfectly good mood before I read this. How am I supposed to respond and stay w/in the rules when I'm so furious? I guess I need to be more diplomatic like Brian and Kenaibowfan, I find it easier to save time and plant a foot in his ass but thats not permitted, so here I am frustrated....anybody wanna go golfing at sleepyhollow? Phish?
    I am not very diplomatic, Brian has got me a couple of times, I am just trying not to get on his bad side.

I'm going to try and be as polite as I can with your statement. The reason the Knik Arm fishery was shut down was not because of the Commercial Fishery. It was shut down because of a poor RETURN sir. The "commies" as you so ignorantly call them had nothing to do with it. Learn how to fish the waters of Alaska. The fish were there to be caught "if" you just put in a little time and effort and most of all a little knowledge. Not all fishing days in Alaska are a 10 minute, got my limit day. After living and fishing here for 40 years in the Valley, which from reading your profile is longer than you have been on the face of this earth, I think I have seen the good and the bust of salmon runs. This years Coho run was a bust for parts of Knik Arm. Now as far as people who "so-called trashed you" from your other thread post eating "crow"? Na I don't think so. They were in the most part correct with there comments. I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject by all means but after having worked on the rivers and creeks here in the Valley for ADF&G for 20 years, now retired, I think I have a pretty good grasp on what is what. Now after sitting back for these past few days listening to your crap about why the fishery crashed I FEEL VINDICATED!!!

yes, thank you lord. gladly, i eat my crow now and see the error in my ways.

yellowstone you were right, and everyone else was wrong.

sorry for everyone trashing you.

please tell me, please what is next. what shall we do?

your wisdom knows no bound. just say the word and it shall be done.

what shall we do o wise master yellowstone
    edit signature here

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    ....anybody wanna go golfing at sleepyhollow? Phish?
    I would love to but I'll be hearing a sales pitch (that I helped write) for the next two hours. I'm acting like I'm taking notes now.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I am not very diplomatic, Brian has got me a couple of times, I am just trying not to get on his bad side.
    LOL!!! You're great KF, but I was thinkin' the same thing. That's funny.
    I ain't no diplomat either, but I'm glad we have a few around.

bafoonary. Im not going to be so diplomatic. Maybe if you got off your arse and got outside a bit more you would catch more fish. I think we have all had days where we didnt catch any thing. The difference is you dont try to figure it out you just blame someone else for your lack of effort and knowledge. There is a term for people like you. You're a "victim". There are thousands of you and their is a special seat for you on the maury show where people are just begging to watch a grown man cry like a little girl with a skinned knee. I suggest you try there and stop wasting our time here.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    August 25, 2011
    For Immediate Release
    Emergency Closure Affects Knik Arm Area Coho Salmon SportFisheries
    By emergency order, effective beginning at 12:01 a.m. Saturday, August 27, sport fishing forcoho (“silver”) salmon is prohibited in all waters of the Knik Arm Management Area.....

Wow, I didn't see that one coming <sarcasm
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post

honestly just in how many threads do we need to discuss this topic???

for those of us who have realized back when we were 16 that arguing on forums is pointless could we limit the drivel to one thread???

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    I've done a bit of catching up on the forum. You strike me as the kind of guy who would never be happy.

Good luck in your pursuit of unpleasantness.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Might I just say this... When you express an opinion, you just might get one back. Your other post has received quite the response... If you don't want a response or are so set in your opinion that you don't want to hear anybody else's reply... don't post it. Re-posting in another thread will not get people to change their opinion. (having little background info in your profile and not having much time as a member doesn't help either) You can learn a lot from reading the info on this forum that already has gone over this subject... multiple times. To say, "I Told You So" is self serving.. To say my idea is the only one, is dictating. To listen to others and come up with solutions that are a pool of ideas from all involved... sounds a little more like democracy. Some of those commercial fishermen you so quickly chastise make their yearly income from those fleeting months that they can get on that water. (not to mention, put their lives on the line) So as one who is new to this forum, but not to fishing... I would suggest that you listen to the responses.. or preach somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMishn View Post
    Might I just say this... When you express an opinion, you just might get one back. Your other post has received quite the response... If you don't want a response or are so set in your opinion that you don't want to hear anybody else's reply... don't post it. Re-posting in another thread will not get people to change their opinion. (having little background info in your profile and not having much time as a member doesn't help either) You can learn a lot from reading the info on this forum that already has gone over this subject... multiple times. To say, "I Told You So" is self serving.. To say my idea is the only one, is dictating. To listen to others and come up with solutions that are a pool of ideas from all involved... sounds a little more like democracy. Some of those commercial fishermen you so quickly chastise make their yearly income from those fleeting months that they can get on that water. (not to mention, put their lives on the line) So as one who is new to this forum, but not to fishing... I would suggest that you listen to the responses.. or preach somewhere else.
    how about a round of reps for this guy fishnmishn? +1
    edit signature here

I don't know why the runs have been getting worse the last 4 to 5 years at Jim Creek but I suspect it may have something to do with pulling many thousands of fish from the water before they get to the spawning grounds. Whether it was commercial or sports fishermen removing the most I don't know but it seems that too many are being kept from spawning. I don't see it getting a lot better unless tighter limits are set on both commercial and sports fishing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast