Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for My Glock 20SF

Default Advice for My Glock 20SF

It is completely stock so far. I have shot maybe 300 rounds through it. It shoots great, except that I had one stove-pipe with a 200gr FMJ (appx 1,200 fps) one time. that was probably in my first 50-100 rounds. Most of what I have shot are the Cor-Bon 150gr HPs (appx 1,325 fps); the 180gr BCSP loads (appx 1,320 fps), and the Double-Tap 230gr Lead FN (appx 1,300 fps), all of which have worked flawlessly.

I have plenty of .40S&W guns, and have no desire to fire the lighter 10mm loads through my Glock 20it is reserved for the hotter 10mm stuff.

I have a few questions for you experienced Glock 20 guys:

(1) I find the above loads very comfortable to shoot, but should I get a steel guide rod and 20lb spring (factory is 17lb I think)if for nothing else, to make things easier on the gun?

(2) Do after market springs/rods tend to make the G20 more or less reliable? Could it be that the relatively weak stock spring somehow could have caused the one 200gr FMJ round to stove-pipe?

(3) If an aftermarket rod/spring is a good idea, is the ISMI brand stuff as good as anything? Is a 20lb spring about right for loads from the hot 150-gr defense loads to hot the 230gr HC loads? I assume I would not want to make more of an extreme change to something like a 24lb spring, right?

(4) The DT 200gr lead bullets I shot were gas checked. Still, with all the talk about the stock Glock barrels, I alternated them every fourth round or so with a jacketed bullet when shooting. I had no problems with any lead build-up, but if I want to fire a lot of HC bullets, do I need to get a different barrel?

(5) With fixed sights, mine shoots couple inches to the left at 15 yds. I was thinking about these low-profile stock-Glock adjustable sights:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=575325
    Good idea? Any better options?

Many thanks for any helpful insights.

answer to #5 Drift your rear sight a tap or two to the right. Shoot a few rounds and adjust as needed.

Some answers to your question from my point of view (and I shoot two of the Glock 20's):
    1) Keep the same spring weight and change when it starts to fail to load next round- you'll know when, usually around 10,000 rnds or so.
    2) The shape of the projectile, and load strength may have caused the stovepipe; or you could have 'limp wristed" that round.
    3) I like the 180 to 200 grain loads for hunting- haven't tried one on a bear yet, but 1 shot on each deer harvested with the Glock.
    4) If you do shoot a lot of cast, make sure you clean the firearm. (but, this like a "Duh" thing- we all clean our firearms after use right?)
    5) The factory sight is a metal base plate with a plastic sight attached. I recommend changing to something like the ghostring sight by AmriGlo. Fast and super easy to use and adjust. (also night sight available in same configuration- case you want/need to follow up a blood trail in the dark.)

hope this helps,
    Chris

Chris

Thanks guys.

Chris, how do the AmeriGlo sights "adjust"? Just by tapping them, like the factory sights?

The Ghost Ring ones look interesting: http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sigh.../complete-sets
    I don't think I've ever seen those on a pistol. Is it awkward getting used to that at first? I wonder if the U-Rap variant would be a good compromise.

On the order page (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sigh...e-sets/classic), it lists some the options for some of the sights as either Green/Green or Green/Yellow. What does that mean? What's green and what's yellow?

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Hawk,

The easiest way is to use a Glock sight tool, or if you are around Fairbanks- stop in at the shop and I'll show you. The only varient that I have been able to get is the green on green. They work really well due to the gap in "glow" of the two on the rear sight, you aliegn the front "glow" in the middle and good to go. Of course in daylight don't need the nightsight, but nice to have. The rear sight does stick up a little higher with the ghostring, but fits fine in all my holsters.

Chris

forgot to say: the yellow is on the front sight post, two green on rear on left and right side of sight.

Chris

Thanks Chris. As to the sight tool, do you mean this?: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=113142

I noticed that the product description and reviews both say that it will chew up most non-Glock-factory sights. Also, seems like a lot to spend for something I only will use rarely. Such is life.

That plastic glock sight gets damaged easily when adjusting by almost anything. Plus, it will mush somtimes just in a holster. or break a side tab off. I work with glocks alot, so have all the toys to work on them. Why not ask your local gunsmith if he has the tool, and let him install for you? Might charge $20 bucks, but cheaper than buying tool.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    That plastic glock sight gets damaged easily when adjusting by almost anything. Plus, it will mush somtimes just in a holster. or break a side tab off. I work with glocks alot, so have all the toys to work on them. Why not ask your local gunsmith if he has the tool, and let him install for you? Might charge $20 bucks, but cheaper than buying tool.

Chris
    That sounds good. thanks. But how do I move it at the range, once it is installed, to get my point of aim right on?

Original glock- use a punch, but make sure you have it scrapping the bottom of the grove to push the metal plate. After market, their solid metal - a brass punch and gently tap till get where you need to be. Most gunsmithes will center the rear sight when installing new, and the front sight is bolted in a channel.

Chris

I recently installed the front and rear Trijicon night sights on my G20 and it is a big improvement and well worth it to me. They are green with the white rims and are great to me day, low light, amd dark.

Is it awkward getting used to that at first? Thanks for the helpful advice.[/QUOTE]

I'm a Glock Armorer too and have installed a a dozen or so ghost rings. They seem like they would be hard to use but once you get the hang of it you only put the front sight on the target and shoot...very fast and easy, just like a rifle or shotgun with the ghost ring. That's why they are not allowed on IDPA courses....too fast!

I have had some issues with the Ameriglo sight base being too high to properly fit into the Glock dovetail and it requires some file work to get it down to the correct size. I haven't done one in the last few months so I'm not sure if it is just one batch or a continuing problem. They are very strong. I have a G19 and G35 with Ameriglo that I use for suppressor demo guns and they really get beat up but no damage to the ghost ring.

Marinehawk,

Check out the XS Sights. Got the ghost ring they offer with wings on my guide gun. Awesome stuff. Just looking around for some new night sights for my Glock 20 and found something on that website I like.

or

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=si...ts&sID=handgun

Can be bought at Midway USA also.

-Dan

1) Yes, if you are going to run hot stuff a 20# spring and metal guide rod would be the ticket.

2) My G29 doesn`t like 200gr FMJs with the stock barrel...but I`m running a 23# spring and it`s probably a bit aggressive for a standard load. Shoots the 200gr Equalizer and the 165gr Golde Saber HP just fine....but they are a bit hotter.

3) Can`t comment on that manufacturer but agree 20#s should do it...I have a Wolf spring kit and the quality is obvious over stock. I haven`t had the oportunity to run all the flavors of ammo I have but am getting the feeling that 23# is too much.

4) Some will say no to the aftermarket barrel...some will say yes. I would say yes just from an accuracy standpoint. I haven`t had any fouling problems with the Glock barrel.

5) I would recommend you let someone else shoot it to see if it`s your hold/trigger pull or the gun...I too pull left and low until I get warmed up to the recoil. As for sights...that`s a taster`s choice thing and alot of good advice above.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Has any one tried the Advantage Tactical sight's for a glock & other pistol make's .The sight picture is a little stange but once you get used to the sight's set up it a natural to be able to pick up the sighting system without a second thought's

The web site is www.advantagetactical.com glock-sight.jpg

I like the ghostring because it is faster for me. I plan on hunting with my Glock SF 20. Hopefully, get to do some groundstalking on hogs. I am currently shooting a 200 gr projectile with the factory barrel- it is more accurate than I am most of the time. That said, it's your firearm (or gun, or toy, or whatever) dress it up like so it will do what you want. Night sites- great idea! Ghost ring- sure. Adjustable target- okay!
    Do recommend changing the spring- I got a wilson 20, and it seems heftier than the stock- but noticable recoil reduction, and seems to have better lock time.. (?)
    Have fun

Chris

On my G20 I have TFO sights. You can find them here... http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=886485 In the daylight they are incredibly bright and in pitch black, they are still bright and super easy to get a good sight picture. These things are a combination of tritium and fiber optics.

I really like my G20 with the Lone Wolf long slide and the 6.6 inch threaded barrel. The stock model was fine but I wanted to fire heavy hard cast bullets, get max velocity (hence the longer barrel), and LWD products met my needs. In fact, I recommend you call and talk with the Lone Wolf folks and get their take on the G20 options. There are some sharp folks there. The only question is if you want what they have to offer.

Enjoy your G20 upgrades, customizing your personal firearms makes them yours, not the average off the shelf stuff that everyone else has.

MyTime

I have these sights on my Springfield XD and they are wonderful! Quick and easy to find and almost as easy as pointing your finger. My only problem is they don't make them for all of my other pistols or I would have them on them as well. I really like like them.

Devil Dog, you might consider getting a KKM/ Lone Wolf barrel and some reloading equipment of your choice.

Many thanks to all for the good advice and information! I'm still thinking about which sights to get.

A few more questions, for the patient ones:

What is the advantage of the threaded barrel if any if Im not going to put a can on it?

I put one of these with a 20-lb spring on my XD40 Tactical a few years back.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...ng+for+Glocks/

It has worked well. Has anyone ever tried one of those tungsten things on a G20, or is the ISMI stuff better? (I cant even tell now who the tungsten manufacturer is on the linked website.).

Most importantly, if I get one of the Lone Wolf 5.15 or 6.0 barrels, is there a good hip holster that will fit that, and also will go onto a 2-1/4-wide web belt? If not, I would much prefer the standard-length 4.6 barrel, even if I apparently would sacrifice roughly 50-70 fps: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html
    One of the reasons I like the 10mm so much is that I dont even notice Im carrying it until I need it. But, if there is a good hip holster that fits the 6-inch barrel, I would consider getting one.

Any more helpful comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast