Thread: Chasing bou on Haul Road

Red face Chasing bou on Haul Road

First timer here wanting to chase bou for a few days before we go moose hunting. I would like to drive out of Fairbanks and wondering what is the peak time to be there and any area;s that would be best. How many hours drive out of fairbanks also would help. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

just got back from the haul rod chasing bou myself.. (permit hunt) tons of tracks about 10miles in at the talvala (sp?) river and about half as many at hess creek.. snow at the creek is about 4ft deep not fun walking back in...

Quote Originally Posted by BBGUN View Post
    First timer here wanting to chase bou for a few days before we go moose hunting. I would like to drive out of Fairbanks and wondering what is the peak time to be there and any area;s that would be best. How many hours drive out of fairbanks also would help. Any info would greatly be appreciated.
    I should probably add that we are planning on this in late august or early September. Is any time good or is one month better than another?

Default how

how are you planning to hunt, rifle or bow? makes a big difference

Default bowhunting 'bou

First time bow hunters to the haul road should try Franklin Bluffs. Area offers plenty of coverage utilizing the numerous spur dike roads that head down to the Sag river. Second choice would be Toolik Hills. Well into september there are typically still a lot of decent bulls. I worked at Pump Station one for several years and have had an opportunity to watch migration between PS1 and PS3. If your looking for a larger bull they tend to lead the bulk of the herd and they can be on the move as early as late July early August. As far as travel, it takes me typically 10 hours to drive from Fairbanks to Prudhoe.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimehunter View Post
    First time bow hunters to the haul road should try Franklin Bluffs. Area offers plenty of coverage utilizing the numerous spur dike roads that head down to the Sag river. Second choice would be Toolik Hills. Well into september there are typically still a lot of decent bulls. I worked at Pump Station one for several years and have had an opportunity to watch migration between PS1 and PS3. If your looking for a larger bull they tend to lead the bulk of the herd and they can be on the move as early as late July early August. As far as travel, it takes me typically 10 hours to drive from Fairbanks to Prudhoe.
    I talked to a bioligist tonight and he said the rut starts on the 15th of September and that you do not want the meat during that time. He said the bulls stink to all heaven and the meat is no good!! Any truth to this? Is the weather still bearable the second week of September? Thanks for all the help!

For me I do not hunt the bull after 1 oct. due to the rut. I have taken bulls up to 23 sept with no problem of meat being bad.

Sept the weather can be warm to snowing so bring a variety or gear for the weather. Caribou can be there one day and gone the next. Be patient is the biggest thing.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by BBGUN View Post
    I talked to a bioligist tonight and he said the rut starts on the 15th of September and that you do not want the meat during that time. He said the bulls stink to all heaven and the meat is no good!! Any truth to this? Is the weather still bearable the second week of September? Thanks for all the help!
    It's all true about the meat during the rut. You don't want to get one for a couple of months after the rut.
    The weather is fine during the second week of September, but you should be prepared in case an early snow storm or cold snap hits.
    Now what ?

Default yep

Unless you like the smell and taste of urine, stay away from bout after the 10th of Sept

Default Hey BBGun

I've shot a couple of bou in the thrid week of Sep with no problems with the meat being bad. They were not monster bulls, so I think that helps. If you want the meat stay away from the big bulls later in Sep.

Good hunting, Rick