Thread: Can dogs get sick from salmon in creek?

Default Can dogs get sick from salmon in creek?

My dog can hardly walk, she feels pretty warm, and sits or lays down after standing for even a few seconds. She is not eating much or at all in the last day atleast. She has a hard time jumping onto bed or chair, usually looks like she just floats up effortlesly. We had a long day on saturday, 8 miles maybe hunting, had contact with a salmon near shore that was a tomato, but still alive. I have heard of dogs getting sick only once, but this was second hand from a guy in oregon. Ever hear of such a thing here? What else could it be? Looks like she just aches, like we do when we have a bad flu.

Yes, dogs can get sick from raw salmon, but did the dog eat some of it?

The symptoms/behavior you describe sound quite serious. Go to the Vet.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I've had similar issues with a little schnauzer. I just wait it out and she gets better. I almost NEVER bring my dogs to the vet unless it is clearly life threatening, but that is just me. IME vets have been not so helpful and VERY expensive.

Is her stomach tight? Hard to the touch? What does her stool look like? Is she drinking water?

some dogs get blote or something like that an intestinal thing I think that kinda thing does require a vet, correct me if I am wrong but have heard of pets dyeing from it. Then again was she conditioned to do a 8 mile hike maybe she's just a sore pup
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I've seen dogs eat poop and drink the most disgusting water imaginable, and they were just fine. I would think that dogs have differeing levels of immunities, just as humans do. No doubt your pup is sick, but I'd be surprised if it's from playing with a live salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    some dogs get blote or something like that an intestinal thing I think that kinda thing does require a vet.
    You are right IA. The questions at the bottom of my post were to diagnose bloat, and if the symptoms were present, I would recommend getting to a vet ASAP.

I've had dogs get sick from eating rotten dead salmon, but never from playing with live fish. Small dogs usually don't have problems with bloat or stomach flop, but it can happen. My pitly mix has had much of the same symptoms you describe in the last year, and after $1500 in tests at the Vet we gave-up trying to figure it out. She still eats and plays, just not nearly as much as she used to and about half the speed, just going to try and keep her happy and comfortable as long as possible. I hope your pup gets better soon, there is nothing better in this world than a good dog IMO.
    -J

It is not bloat. At least not from a salmon. Typically if your dog gets bloat, it will be dead in an hour unless you can get it to the vet or know how to take care of it yourself. Deep chested dogs that "wolf" their food are more prone to it.

I've seen this before in my dogs after they've eaten salmon parts. I've never had to take one to a vet and they've always come around after a few days. YMMV. You know your dog's temperment so use your judgement and take the dog in when you think it's necessary.

This is one of a very few times I'll ever agree with Tailwind. I avoid Vets whenever I can, you can learn to suture, stitch , medicate, and treat alot of the maladies that dogs come down with. I've had way to many "less than satisfactory" experiences with Vets.

Good luck, I hope your dog gets back to feeling well soon...

Dogs can get a parasite from raw salmon - I would be off to the vet soon.

Thanks everyone. First off, she is a little better tonight, eating treat and chewing on bully stick. Still looks weak when standing. Dog food bowl is still untouched, but she ate a ton over the weekend and I think sunday night, the whole bowl, she is only 18#. Very active with me, 8 mile hike is nothing. She had done 25 mile bike rides at eklutna lake like nothing. Saturday the only thing different was a harness while on leash, usually just a shock collar. Then she caught one salmon and released it, none eaten and salmon was not punchured.

Definately not bloat. Her stomach is shrunk and tight. Still looks weak while standing. Just her front legs look funny when she is standing. So either she is getting over whatever she might have caught from salmon, or chest harness pushed her muscles around and she is sore. I asked her again to go for a bike ride, nothing, just sits there. Energy level is still down, she never misses a car ride or bike ride. She is only going on 6 years old. Not going to vet, since she seems better and moving around. Was worried all day what I might come home too. No messes or anything so........time will tell. Thanks for all the suggestions and diagnosises.

I also thought it could be a blocked intestine, she had done it once before with a chunck of pork raw hide. But she was bloated and tight in stomach and was puking mass amounts cause still eating normally. Never was weak in the legs or anything. That is why I thought of the salmon sickness I heard about in oregon.

There is something dogs get from eating raw salmon in the pacific northwest. I've heard of it but don't know what it is. AFAIK we don't have it here with our salmon. Feeding raw salmon does block some nurishment in the food so dogs can starve eating raw salmon. I haven't seen them get sick from it. My two labs got into some raw filleted out carcases somebody left at one of my training grounds in Anchorage a couple weeks back. Nobody sick from it.

Wish my vet knew that last year before prescribing the medication - Would have saved us some money. Turns out it wasn't the problem but the vet thought it was Salmon Poisoning disease. Literature says possible but not common in Alaska. Apparently has to do with a parasite and not the salmon itself.
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...m/bc/57305.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    There is something dogs get from eating raw salmon in the pacific northwest. I've heard of it but don't know what it is. AFAIK we don't have it here with our salmon. Feeding raw salmon does block some nurishment in the food so dogs can starve eating raw salmon. I haven't seen them get sick from it. My two labs got into some raw filleted out carcases somebody left at one of my training grounds in Anchorage a couple weeks back. Nobody sick from it.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Wish my vet knew that last year before prescribing the medication - Would have saved us some money. Turns out it wasn't the problem but the vet thought it was Salmon Poisoning disease. Literature says possible but not common in Alaska. Apparently has to do with a parasite and not the salmon itself.
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...m/bc/57305.htm
    Yep, we had a place on the Alsea River in Oregon. All of our neighbors were quite insistent on not letting our dog lick fish blood or parts of any kind because of the flukes. As far as I know, they are not a problem in Alaska.

AK,
    Have you tried burger & rice, if they will eat anything that usually works, & is easy on the stomach. (lean buger not fat ) we feed it to Nikki for a day or two at a time after stomach issues. If you need I have buger I could run by if you don't have any in the freezer.
    Also you can put the unflavored pedialyte in the food or mix with water bowl to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated.