Thread: XD 45ACP w/ 460 Rowland

Default XD 45ACP w/ 460 Rowland

Shot my XD 45 today for the first time. It's my first hand gun and I think I did pretty well for a first timer. At 25 yards about 9 out of 13 rounds actually made it within a 6" grouping. After swapping my barrel to the Rowland 460 mod I noticed a considerable increase in power as well as recoil. I shoot lefty and noticed that with the 45ACP rounds I need to shoot slight left, maybe 1/2" to be center. With the 460 Rowland I needed to be a whopping 4" left and 4" high. Any advice on how I can fix this? I tried to pull the trigger with the tip of my finger as much as possible, and I did notice that I would flinch on occasion. I could control the flinching with the 45s but maybe I was fatiguing with the 460s toward the end.

As we tell folks when we do the conversions, the .460 isnt easy to shoot. If you think your sights are off, bring it by

I think the sights are fine. The 45ACP rounds were no issue at all. I think it's more operator error and was looking for a little advice. Maybe I need to work on my flinching. Once that 460 round was in, it was a whole different ball game. Fun round, but maybe I need more practice.

Nasty aint it?

If you think you are flinching sometimes you are likely flinching every time. Buy some snap caps to load them randomly in the magazine, have a friend do it so you have no idea when it will come up. Shoot normally and see what happens when it clicks on a snap cap. Flinching is subconscious fear and you train your subconscious there is nothing to fear through lots of rounds and slow deliberate trigger presses so itís a surprise when it brakes. Dry fire (with snap caps) is also very helpful but be extremely careful that itís not a live round! Quality trigger time is the ticket, get good with the light stuff before you go to heavy stuff and develop bad habits. ACP may even be too heavy if this is your first handgun, a 22 (like a Ruger 22-45) is always best for training/maintaining the fundamentals and will save you enough ammo bucks to be worth the price of buying one.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I did buy my son a ruger 22 hand gun. I'll use it as well for practice. I was very comfortable with the 45 rounds. Good idea on the snap caps, thanks.

Did you get the flush Rowland barrel or longer/ported?

it's the longer barrel

Wildalaska, Are you no longer reaming barrels to convert to 460 Rowland?

I thought they just got the barrels from Bar-Sto and fit them to each gun...

we may have some Barstos left, now we have contracted for our own barrels