Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hunting rifle choice

Default hunting rifle choice

I am planning on gettting my son a hunting rifle for his 13th birthday but am having trouble deciding between a 30-06 or a 7mm. i have never shot a 7mm so i dont know how much recoil they have. he does have experience shooting but nothing with more recoil than a 12 gauge. he is 5'3" 130 pound and i good shape but i think the recoil of a 300 winmag would be a bit much for him. i know a 30-06 is enough gun to hunt moose carabou and black bear with accurate shot placement but im not sure about 7mm. any advice on this would be appreciated. any other choices that may be better would be appreciated as well.

thank you
    Matt

If you are talking about a 7 mag I would not get it. 7 mags have rep for being brutal... I had one 7 mag that was big baby but that was one of several others those would make you cringe everytime you pulled the trigger. I would look at getting a 308 myself but if that is not a option I go woth th 30-06 over a 7mag anyday for a youngster.

With a muzzle brake, the 300wm is just fine. Why not a 7mm-08? Or I would choose the 308 over the 30-06 also.

When I learned to shoot I was 5'3" and 115lbs, I learned with a .30-06 and a 12ga and I didn't think the recoil was bad at all and that was from a bench, it may be the reason I am not recoil sensetive (?).If he can handle a 12ga OK, IMO he will handle a 06' just fine. Let him pull the trigger and offer his opinion before you, or the two of you, decide.

30-06 with 180 grn...........all die before it.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I would either get him a 7-08 mid weight or a 270 win. AK Guns and Ammo has a decent Remington Mountain rifle in 270 Win on consignment. That would be a great starter gun. You could also look at the Remington Mountain Guide Special at Walmart in 308 Win. That gun has been there for about 8 years and would be a great starter gun.

There are lots of options.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

a 7mm-08 is what i was looking at but i wasnt sure about its recoil or weather it had enough punch for the big game up here. im from ohio and you cant hunt with rifles down there at all so my knowledge of hunting rifles is very limited and wen i hunted in west virginia i used a 270.

thank you again
    matt

30/06 with proper fit stock and good sights. The 358rem or 338 marlin in a levergun would also be wonderfull
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I got an '06 for my 12th birthday, and it was the only gun I hunted with for the next 10 years. Can't go wrong with an '06.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

7mm-08 is fine for moose, caribou, black bear, sheep, etc. I think the only thing I wouldn't want to use it on is Griz. That is the caliber I was going to get for my daughter but just couldn't find the right one so I went with 270. 270 is also enough gun for any of the species I mentioned.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

7-08 is a great round and the one my 3 boys will be using. I like it so much its all I really use myself anymore. Its even killed a couple small grizzlies. I have been really impressed with the 140gr Barnes TSX in the 7-08 too.

Price ammo. A young person needs to shoot a gun until he/she feels comfortable with it. I personally bought a 30-06 last year because it hits hard and the ammo is reasonable. Look at the Tikka T3.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

The recoil of the 7mm Remington Magnum will feel much greater than the 30-06 in most rifles. I would strongly recommend the 06 over the 7mm for your son. Plus, the ammunition is much less expensive.

Thirty aught Six...factory ammo beyond all others. If a store carries ammo, they have 30-06. Try to put a 220 gr bullet in a .308 case and tell me how that performs. My Tikka 300WM roars and hits where it's pointed but that's an adult rifle I purchased after 20 years with a Marlin 30-30. My dad should have insisted on the :06 and I would have had the complete North American rifle/round. What hasn't the :06 killed??!!

Savage makes a youth 7mm-08 with a muzzle break that you can turn on and off.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Either could work fine. Does your son have a preference? Does he realistically plan on shooting much out past 300 yards or so?

Both are great calibers for most medium/large game, and Remington makes really light reduced recoil loads for both of these calibers. (You could do the same for these or even the 300 WM if you reload).

+30-06:
    ● Versatile; cheaper, more-available ammo.
    ● Shoots flat enough for most people.

+7MM RM:
    ● Ammo is not exactly scarce.
    ● 175gr loads can hit a little harder and flatter than a 30-06 at long distances.
    ● Might seem cooler to a 13 yr-old boy.

IMO, either one would work, especially if you start him out on light loads. The main advantage of the 7mm would be out past 300 yds, and Iím not sure how many people, especially teenagers, really do that all that often.

Most of the rifle makers offer youth models in 3 choices: .243, 7mm=08, and .308. They are all based on the .308 cartridge just different size bullets.

My two son's and wife shoot a Howa Arms youth model in 7mm-08. The rifle came as a package deal; rifle, decent though inexpensive scope, and 2 Hogue stocks (1 youth, 1 adult) for a little over $600. Ammunition seems to cost about the same as most other popular calibers. The rifle has taken 2 caribou without problem and although it recoils more than a .22 (as any center fire rifle will) it is manageable for my 11 & 14 year olds and my wife.

Most big game will fall to almost any popular caliber. It's more about shot placement than size and speed. As my sons grow older I'll probably step them up to a 30-06. They don't like the recoil of my .300WM right now.

Here is some info on recoil you may find helpful in making a decision http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm .

I have fired a 7mmMag and a .30-06' side by side and the difference in recoil was imperceptible to me, the chart shows that to be the case as well. Keep in mind though that rifle weight and fit can influence the felt recoil of any firearm, whatever you two decide on the young man should feel comfortable with the way the rifle feels to him.

For shotguns, you may find interesting the difference between a 12ga vs. .30-06' and notably all other centerfire cartridges . http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm . This table does lack the recoil velocity #s to compare and that to me is as important as the ftlbs, the greater the RV the greater the "perceived" recoil IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Here is some info on recoil you may find helpful in making a decision http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm .

I have fired a 7mmMag and a .30-06' side by side and the difference in recoil was imperceptible to me, the chart shows that to be the case as well. Keep in mind though that rifle weight and fit can influence the felt recoil of any firearm, whatever you two decide on the young man should feel comfortable with the way the rifle feels to him.

For shotguns, you may find interesting the difference between a 12ga vs. .30-06' and notably all other centerfire cartridges . http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm . This table does lack the recoil velocity #s to compare and that to me is as important as the ftlbs, the greater the RV the greater the "perceived" recoil IMO.
    This is interesting. Thanks. Note that a faster-recoiling rifle does cause more pain because the shooter absorbs more recoil energy more quickly. That's why things like recoil pads, mercury tubes, semi-auto actions, etc ..., make recoil feel less severe. They "round off" the peak pressure point (spread it out over time with a little less intensity at the peak).

30-06 - start with managed recoil loads, work your way up. Ammo is cheap, it can be loaded for anything, and it is the finest all around caliber in the world. It's a gun for a lifetime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast