Thread: Caribou Hunt - Zone 3

Default Caribou Hunt - Zone 3

I plan on taking my 14 year old daughter to Chicken next weekend. I understand this area gets a lot of pressure and was not my first hunt choice but due to her JH basketball season this seems to be our only option this year. We have four wheeler's and we plan to ride in and camp. My question is how tough is the riding? She is not real experiences on a 4-wheeler, but has ridden some. How much extra gas should we haul? Do people usually tow a 4-wheeler trailer with their gear? How much extra gas?

Thanks in advance.

I have not been there but have lots of friends that have. From what they tell me you have to go in quite a distance on the Chicken trail and its pretty steep in places, so I would definately think about a helmet for your daughter if she is not very experienced. pulling a trailer with camp and extra fuel is the way to go, I think. good luck

We went further up and east last year, I think we put about 40-50 miles on the machines, although most of that was just scouting, with all but 1 or 2 on trails that were at times more like gravel roads. Take your time and you shouldn't have a problem. Take some gas but as remote as it sounds, it isn't too far off the beaten path. I think I topped off on the way out, took an extra 5 gallons, came out with 3.

Default Thanks for the help

I appreciate all the advice. We will take 5 gallons of extra fuel and bring helmet for my daughter just to take extra caution. I want to make sure she has a good experience. She shot her first bear this spring and I was a little unsure how she would handle it as we approached the down bear and the first thing out of her mouth was that she wanted to shoot a caribou and moose. She is 14 years old and I think she may have the bug!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice! You guys are going to have a great trip! Good luck with the caribou!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page