Thread: Prince william sound

Default Prince william sound

I want to do some deer hunting in pws but not too sure whre to go... Ive heard of going to knight but unsure how far it is. Any input would be greatly appriciated

lots of bears, big, big bears.....I would try Green or Montague if that bothers you.

Hmm.. If you aren't sure of how far it is, then it sounds like you are not familiar with Prince William Sound. In the fall it can get kinda nasty on the water. You don't mention anything about your boat or if you are going out with people that are familiar with hunting out there. Knight has some rough areas and knowing the ups and downs takes research. Getting back safe is number one!
    Plan it and Research it. Would need more info to give you any kind of ideas. Good luck and be safe.

Im not fimiliar with pws what so ever... been out there one time. Bears are good too tho... just want to go hunting pretty much, along with some fishing and shrimping...

22' valco, 350 chevy inboard jet, 77 galons of fuel

Quote Originally Posted by stud_rudd View Post
    Im not fimiliar with pws what so ever... been out there one time. Bears are good too tho... just want to go hunting pretty much, along with some fishing and shrimping...

22' valco, 350 chevy inboard jet, 77 galons of fuel
    Well... First you might start here..

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16700.shtml

Don't know if you have gps on your boat. The hand held ones don't seem to work all that great out there.. and neither do cell phones. Lots of rocks that could give you some grief so plan your route carefully. In a boat of that size, weather is a big issue.
    Check the weather reports for the entire duration of your hunt. You might be ready to go, but the weather might not let you... plan ahead. You can find the weather reports here....
    http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/marfcst.php...K51PAFC#PKZ120

Jet boat.. hope you have a stomp grate... even with, it can be an issue with all the kelp floating around. Lots of threads on here talking about jet issues going into the sound. Hope that helps, I'm sure others will chip in as well.

with that size of a boat i would go sooner than later, and check the weather prior to going.

Quote Originally Posted by PPR View Post
    with that size of a boat i would go sooner than later, and check the weather prior to going.
    Would have to agree here... In a boat that size, the water can get challenging real quick. Even in passage canal it can kick up to the point that it might not be wise to try it. Once you get past Perry, it can be a long ride in even a sizeable boat. (I do it in a 30ft bayliner and have turned back a time or two) Gameplan... the goal of the trip is always to come back and brag about it!

I do not have a stomp grate, i dont think i can install one in my boat. I really appriciate the input, maybe a water taxi would be the best option

Quote Originally Posted by stud_rudd View Post
    I do not have a stomp grate, i dont think i can install one in my boat. I really appriciate the input, maybe a water taxi would be the best option
    Might be... would also be a chance for you to get a little more familiar with the area. Look at those links and keep them, they come in handy. Going out with someone that knows the area and studying the maps and weather links will help you to figure out what you need to do it on your own. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask on here... nobody will bite your head off.

Here's another interactive map you can play with. Zoom in/out and switch between various map types to get a look ay terrain.

http://mapper.acme.com/

Also, if you go make sure you have plenty of fuel (1/3 out; 1/3 back; 1/3 reserve). That's probably too long a run on a 350 jet and a 77 gal. tank unless you get extraordinary mpg.

Be safe, and good luck!

Feel free to send me a PM, I can give you my old spot for deer, sold my boat, and have not been out since 08. kind of exposed, but I have hunted it even in oct with good weather/ seas. Good bay across way to anchor in on another island. Plus been all over knight island too. Definately have a good gps with card and depth finder. Knight has reefs and rocks all over, but a cool island to hunt. Never really seen to much sea weed out there, kelp was rarely seen, only way out by latouche personally. Port wells I heard has lots, but never seen. A good eye on the water ahead and you will be good. Not sure what kind of boat that is, but probably has a shallow V? Have lots of respect for ocean and trust your natural gut feeling. It gets nasty real quick like these guys are saying. I have seen 6' seas though to glass in an hour! Sometimes it can be worth it to push through and then wait it out. Keep an eye on the weather and seas by bouys. Bouys can be off, if 2', usually pretty smooth. Plus weather cams looking out into passage canal. Can be rough in passage too and calm out in port wells. Just never know.

Ah you're a new member. Ask BrianM or mods to set up so you can PM. Or email or call from my sig. Don't want to post here for all to see.