Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barney's packs/frames

Default Barney's packs/frames

I was looking into getting a pack/frame setup from Barneys. I have never owned a nice pack setup and was just wondering what people's thoughts on them were compared to others out there. Such as Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch, and even some of the Cabelas packs. I will be using it for any type of Akaskan game. Mostly moose, sheep, and caribou probablyAnyone that can provide some information or first hand experiences that would be great.
    Thanks

IMHO Barney's packs are the best, hands down. I bought my first pinnacle pack in 1990 and traded it to a friend last year after years of guiding use. A few years ago, probably 12, I bought another pinnacle pack just to get the latest lightweight version and still use it today. As far as I'm concerned it's a one time investment, kind of like the Barney's bombshelter tents I've owned for 15 years.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Default Only the best...

Barneys makes the best products out there IMO. They have the most knowledgable staff, best gear and the best part is the staff uses all the gear too as they are avid hunters. As far as their packs go, my dad has had his barneys pack for 20 years and is still going strong. I've had mine for 4 and have had no complaints.

Be patient and shop for a used one... deals to be had.

It hurts if I look at a new one and cough at the same time.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

There service is second to none also. I found a good used Barneys pack brought it into the store and the did an overhaul on the pack and set it up for my height. For free! Great people great service
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

thanks for the info guys. I probably won't buy one this year as its too late now and I will just be borrowing one for use on upcoming hunts. Maybe this winter or spring I will actually try to buy one and get it set up for hunting. thanks for all the great information.

i have four, i wear them out(read, they get some wear and i buy a new one ). the last one has lasted the longest of the four, and the make new changes and updates to them seems like every year. i'd never own anything else. i keep my extras for my clients when they show up with jr. size packs and expect to do a sheep hunt...the price tag is scary....but man you'll let it ride you and you'll realize when you've got a load on you'd have paid twice as much...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i have four, i wear them out(read, they get some wear and i buy a new one ). the last one has lasted the longest of the four, and the make new changes and updates to them seems like every year. i'd never own anything else. i keep my extras for my clients when they show up with jr. size packs and expect to do a sheep hunt...the price tag is scary....but man you'll let it ride you and you'll realize when you've got a load on you'd have paid twice as much...
    Yeppers, much like my math teacher making me do long division prior to using a calculator I've tried A LOT of packs over the past several years and having packed out 4 critters in the past 2 weeks it'll be hard to convince me to use something else.

I bit the bullet and bought a Barneys Hunter Frame/Pack combo on Tuesday via phone. It was on my doorstep this afternoon. I have the Cabela's Frame/Pack combo and it is a night and day putting on the Barneys Frame/Pack. I loaded them both down with about 40 lbs and with the Cabela's it feels like 40 lbs; however, the Barney's system makes it feel like a lot less weight. The padding on the shoulder straps is absolutely amazing!

Also, the customer service extended by Barney's over the phone was second to none. The fella took extra time to walk me through setup of the pack. Maybe the next time I make it to Anchorage, I will take the pack and make sure I followed the setup directions correctly!

Now, to get out and put this thing to use!!!

welcome to the club...you'll never leave!
    Master guide 212

I've got the Barneys straps on my pos pack and love them. Hope to spring for the whole deal someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

If I buy a Barney's frame (I know I don't want the bag) JUST for big hauls like boned-out moose meat, firewood and loaded duffel bags: Does this frame have a quick and easy way to securely compress and hold a 100# bag of meat? I have no interest in messing with a multitude of straps and cordage to attach each and every load of moose meat I haul.

My friend uses a Cabela's Alaska Guide frame which has a fold-down aluminum shelf, along with a fabric cargo sling. You place a bag of meat on the shelf...click 4 buckles...tug the webs to tighten the sling over the load...and you're done. I've used it and it's dumb-simple. He can put a load of meat on in 1/3 the time it takes me with my Kifaru pack.

I'm looking for more rigidity and fast/easy loading. Barney's?......

Using just the frame, you will need straps. You'll need a system to attach said duffel bag. The packs themselves take pins to secure the bag to the frame.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Just get the barneys pack then hit joannes fabric for some 1.5" nylon web strap and a half dozen 1.5" quick release buckles. Attach the straps to the frame at key points like 3 cross straps along each side of the frame and a couple top to bottom. The webbing and buckles should only add about $15 and under an hour of your time.

even if it took me 5 times as long to load meat on a barney frame over a cabela's frame, i'd do it. i'll haul more meat than the cabela's frame, last longer and feel better at the end of the day hands down. 9 min to load a pack over 3 min really isn't a big deal to me, not for the trade off.
    Master guide 212

The thing I dislike: Take a 100# load of boned meat and put it in a canvas transport bag. Put the bag on a packframe which uses only straps to secure it. Fasten any number of straps you put on it. With no shelf or sling, the meat load simply does its best to bulge past every last strap, and to sag toward the bottom. The net result is a blob of meat riding just above the hip belt and putting extreme pressure against the lumbar area.

I have no doubts the Barney's frame and suspension is top shelf, and very comfortable. If I have to get creative and spend time making additions to it for carrying boned meat (far different vs bone-in) that's no gain for me. I've tried cheaper packs that carried loads in better positions, and they're more comfortable than a great pack which can't keep the load up where it belongs.

You can get a shelf on the barneys frame if you weren't aware. That plus a few well positioned web straps and you should be able to secure any load you like.

the shelf comes with it i believe....boned out meat is similar to a nice wet bear hide droppin' to the bottom.
    load the pack laying flat, not standing up, tighten the web straps on the sides and it should make a difference. most guys load them all standing up and gravity will always works its magic...
    Master guide 212

I think I'll contact Barney's to discuss. I always appreciate the input from veteran hunters. Thanks!

The barneys pack I got my dad came with a shelf, I didn't ask for it as an extra option, it is standard. I gotta get myself one now.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast