Thread: Solution to surface drive noise ...

Default Solution to surface drive noise ...

There is a discussion on the MudBuddy forum about routing the exhaust, via flex pipe, from the muffler down close to or into the water. Not hard to do. Seems to work. Any opinions? Think I'm going to try it. Check out the discussion for pictures of some of the various set ups.

http://www.mudbuddy.com/forum/underw...aust-2494.html

You may have to join the MB Forum to see the discussion. Worth it if you have a noisy surface drive or are considering one.

I kind of like the fact that my mud motor doesn't expel it's polluting exhaust into the water. I have an extra snow machine "silencer can" from a 340 bearcat. I'm thinking of welding a bracket to the rear of my motor and routing the exaust to that. It should cut noise by half.

I'll be interested in seeing if the new "silencer can" hurts performance any.

I have a DRZ 400 dirt bike and I just removed the performance muffler that came with the bike because it was too loud and replaced it with the stock muffler......big difference in low end performance!! I'm looking for some stainless tubing to make an extendsion to the high performance muffler to see if that will contain some of the noise and still give good low end performance. Some (like my wife) might say that I really don't need to do wheelies.... but.....

The exhaust either pollutes the air or the water. There is no free lunch. My point is that some surface drives are excessively loud, as in unmuffled Harley on steroids loud, and that's noise pollution to all forced to listen to it. I don't consider the MudBuddy Mini 23/Hudson Bay I rode in to be nearly as loud as a wound up 2-stroke jet. But I don't like the noise to be 3 feet from my head. The flex hose solution puts the noise down by the water, rather than into the water, and away from my ears. And I'm very protective of what hearing I have left. Only at idle is the tip of the exhaust in the water, and then there are holes drilled 6" up the pipe above the water to keep from forming a vacuum and drawing water into the exhaust system.

Another solution is a SS "Q muffler" that costs $419 plus shipping. I'll try the flex hose first, and report my findings w/ pictures.

My MB Mini 23 left the MB Utah plant yesterday via Span Alaska for a promised 7 to 10 trip to a loading dock in Fairbanks. That's cutting it pretty close to my September 10th jump off date, but my Hudson Bay is now ready for the installation. And I'm psyched.

Most of the surface drive/mud buddy type motors could be quieted quite a bit by rigging up almost any type of automotive/ tractor/motorcycle/snowmachine muffler. These motors aren't high performance by any means and won't suffer much if any from adding a muffler. Even adding a long piece of pipe will help quite a bit. I'm not fond of the flex pipe as sooner or later it will break but it will work for a while.

As I understand it, the best choice for the flex pipe is stainless, which, I assume, should be at least a bit more durable. The linked discussion shows several pictures of rigged up additional mufflers.

I'm going to try it, once I get the MB mounted.

I also have 2 different props to try ... an 11 X 10 and a so-called 12.25" Big Blade. As a novice with mud motors, I've got a lot of learning to do. This is a far cry from my familiar 15 horse Yamaha on a lift.