Thread: Looking for a good hunting boot in the $150 price range.

Default Looking for a good hunting boot in the $150 price range.

This is actually for my bro, but can anybody recommend a good boot in the $150 range? Actual budget is $200, but knowing you guys if I said $200 we'd be talking about $300 boots... Anyway, these boots will be for hunting moose, black bear and caribou in the fall mostly. Gore-Tex is a must. I have the new all leather Danner Pronghorns 200 and was going to recommend them, but just wanted to see if anybody else had a good bargain boot suggestion. They will be used this October on a Kenai Mountain black bear hunt FWIW.

Just some observations of mine.

1.) The heel traction is often over looked on mountain boots, and I find I slip the most coming down hill. So I look for good grippers design on the heels.

2.) I Really like the Cabela's "Whitetail" boot traction pattern, and own several pair of both 600 & 1,200 thinsulite, But it bothers me that the soles are rubber and not Vibram.

3.) Tall 11" boots are useless if not fully gusseted up the tongue.

4.) I find 600 gram thinsulite about right for fall. Hard to beat the Danner Pronghorn boots. Another boot to consider is the LaCrosse "Burley" but only with the "Air-Bob" sole.

Good luck on your hunt, and kill Black Bears on the Kenai Peninsula.

I was going to recommend the pronghorns. Since you already mention them I have a question as I am looking to buy a pair.

I have been reading lately that the newest version are not fully waterproof. They have said they leak right out of the box whether you seal them or not. What do you think?

All boots leak, especially from the big hole at the top, its just a matter of when. Mime have been fine with light moisture and are great with the green Superfeet insoles. I think the canvass sided ones leak faster than the all leather versions.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I have used Danner boots for a long time, but I liked the older ones better. I don't remember the models, but still have some of them. My newest are Pronghorns (maybe 3 years?). They're ok, but I would say they are the worst Danner's I've ever owned.
    For a mountain hunt, I use boots that are outside your price range.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I have used Danner boots for a long time, but I liked the older ones better. I don't remember the models, but still have some of them. My newest are Pronghorns (maybe 3 years?). They're ok, but I would say they are the worst Danner's I've ever owned.
    For a mountain hunt, I use boots that are outside your price range.
    Yeah, we will buy mountain boots if we ever sheep hunt, this is a more general purpose hunting boot.

Heavily overlooked --- Merrell Sawtooth. Aggressive grip. NOT waterproof. Great shank. Great ankle support. $95

This was my third major hunt with them.

Taylor

I've been very happy with my Cabela's Perfekt 10

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-insulate...meindl-1.shtml