Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feds Filing Charges in Grizzly Case

Default Feds Filing Charges in Grizzly Case

Interesting case out of north Idaho. I think most of us would do the same. Thoughts?

http://www.khq.com/story/15319276/ma...s-file-charges

Have to love all the second guess comments posted below that article. 150ft = 50 yards, a bear can cover that ground right quick. Sounds like the bears were focused on the livestock which equals property, 3 children = loved ones and human life, Feds = no eyewitness accounting, only a dead bear and second guessing.

Not going to second guess the man's actions but under the right to protect life and property I have to say that all the criteria were met and he acted as he felt he should in order to protect what is dear to him.

When will the authorities realize that value of human life and the means to support it outweigh the value of a single animal, or will they ever ?

They don't give many details other than the bears were in the yard and children were present. While it's possible that the killing was unnecessary, its also possible that killing the bear was the right move. Either way the benefit of doubt should be given to the father in this scenario.

I'd like to see the prosecutor step outside and watch 3 bears wander closer to his kids....

If Idaho is worried about bear #'s we can just send them some of ours.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

The replies say more than the article. Man, I love Alaska.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

based on the article and imo there are not enough details given to make an informed decision; however, sometimes law inforcement has their reasons and sometimes prosecuters persue an agenda that is oriented twoards making an example out of a defendant in a case. which coincidentially can bring a case to a higher public profile.

again only my speculation, but at first glance that is my initial opinion based on that article.

in any event i hope the preceedings are fair and just. yes we are lucky to live in ak, i love it too. also, we are lucky to live in the USA. though that aint real popular with so many today because of some of our flailling elected officials. thats a billion other threads on a million other sites, but good info here and enjoyed reading it.
    edit signature here

From the scant details presented, it doesn't sound like a shooting situation to me....but as has been stated, there are too few details to allow this kangaroo court member to pass judgement.

But, I will say this, if I shot every brown bear that I have seen within 50 yards of my domicile.....I'd have four DLPs in the last three years. And I'm not exactly out o town (but it is Dillingham) and many of my friends would have paperwork stacked up to their ceilings.

Was he sitting outside with the rifle or did he go in the house to get it.If he went in the house maybe everyone went in the house.If everyone went in the house did someone call 911 before the bear was shot.Just to many unknowns but I guessing somebody knows a fuller story
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I used to live in Eastern Washington like 30 miles from Idaho. They hate the wolves over there because they eat livestock and lots of deer/elk but a guy shoots a bear that was threatening him or his family and gets busted? Doesn't seem right but sounds just like North Idaho, bunch of idiots!

I'm with Amigo Will on this one. If the kids are playing outside, guy sees bear, and goes to get gun, load the gun, then shoots the bear? Or is this guy just sittin on the porch, rocking in his chair with a loaded rifle. Too many unknowns to convict him here on this forum
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    If Idaho is worried about bear #'s we can just send them some of ours.
    100% Agreed.

The mistake was he admitted shooting it and/or not burying it. SSS

I'm guessing the devil is in the details. Distance of shot...bullet path...position of the bear...number of shots...behavior and statements taken...etc. I also don't think the law worries about whether there are multiple children vs multiple adults present. It's all about the bear and what it is doing (and has done) immediately before being shot.

I was in fear of my childrens mortal safety....and keep repeating that until the jury acquits.

I'm glad the kids and family are ok. I hope people will be more educated over this BS.

Can't see them finding him guilty. I guess stanger things have happened and now the man has to spend his hard earned money defending his rights. Thats where the real shame lies!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I wasn't there and there's not enough details to make any kind of decision. Some people panick and think they are being attacked if a bear is within a mile and then some of us not so much. I'm not sure I would have pulled the trigger but I'm certainly not going to condemn a man for doing what he felt was right at the moment. As least with the information presented so far.

Guess he should have done the PC thing and sacrificed his kids and property so as to not harm a "threatened species." This case will be thrown out.

Tim

I guess in reality there are 2 opinions of "necessary". That would be the shooter's opinion...and the court's opinion. We're gonna have to wait on #2...but you can be sure their opinion is the one that wins. Let's hope this was indeed a necessary and legitimate dlp killing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast