Thread: Bolt fitting?

Default Bolt fitting?

I picked up a slightly used Remington, the bolt handle fell off.

Rather than fixing the factory bolt I'm considering a Tubb's replacement. I realize there can be several factors that may have contributed to the problem but I'll assume a poor factory job over mistreatment, I know the previous owner.

http://www.davidtubb.com/custom-bolt...-mag-bolt-face

I realize it will require Gun Smith attention. I'm wondering what the typical fee for properly fitting a bolt to an action is?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Sights or no sights?

No sights, why would that matter?

Pick your handle and send it to Dan Armstrong at www.ACCU-TIG.com. His phone is 907-457-4259. He's done around 50+ Rem bolts and other Mauser, etc handles for me. Always timely and a bargain. Overall he's welded probably 1,000+ handles over the years. He's well known in the benchrest circles in the lower 48, blah blah blah......
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks Gun Bugs,

I'm leaning hard on a new bolt. This one appears to have been dropped on the face, small dent. It also has a loose rivet style extractor. I will have a lot more confidence once it's 100%. I would like to use in in November.

Sights matter because if the bbl has to be set back to correct headspace you are forced to go a full revolution to get the sights TDC. If it doesn't have sights one can merely set the shoulder back 1/4 or 1/2 turn or whatever is nessecary to correct headspace.

Try a bolt from pacific tool and gauge. They are already cut for Sako type extractors and will usually headspace correctly without any other work.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default get another rifle!

Why waste the money on a rifle that sounds like it is already beat to heck!

Get a Mauser, pre-64 Winchester, Sako, etc. with a one-piece forged bolt and decent extractor and forget about all the deficiences of the cheap Remington design.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Sights matter because if the bbl has to be set back to correct headspace you are forced to go a full revolution to get the sights TDC. If it doesn't have sights one can merely set the shoulder back 1/4 or 1/2 turn or whatever is nessecary to correct headspace.
    Kid,

Thanks for the details.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Why waste the money on a rifle that sounds like it is already beat to heck!

Get a Mauser, pre-64 Winchester, Sako, etc. with a one-piece forged bolt and decent extractor and forget about all the deficiences of the cheap Remington design.
    I like your style but I'm already in. Going to make it work and learn a thing or two along the way. I have several very good shooting CF rifles in the safe. The price was to good to pass and it's chambered in something I don't have.

Default hard to pass up a good buy

It's hard to pass up on a good buy - I know what you mean.

I recently picked up an early 700 BDL - 20,000 SN - in 7mm Rem Mag with a SS barrel for $275 with a nice 1 3/4- 5X Burris scope on it. It had character - obviously used a LOT but the handle hadn't broken off yet so it must be a good one If I had time I'd glass bed it and take it on my goat hunt next month just for grins.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I like your style but I'm already in. Going to make it work and learn a thing or two along the way. I have several very good shooting CF rifles in the safe. The price was to good to pass and it's chambered in something I don't have.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Fix the bolt that was originally fit to the 700 action.

No need to set the barrel back if a new bolt is fit-recoil lugs are the focal point!!

Superior Shooting Systems/Tubb bolts/handles/parts are manufactured by D.Kiff/Pacific Tool & Gauge.