Thread: Moose Creek info please

Default Moose Creek info please

Myself and a buddy are looking at floating Moose Creek from Petersville to Deshka, for a moose/ bear hunt and was wondering the following things?
    How many days?
    Is canoe or raft better on that river and why?
    How is the water level in late September?
    And any other insight that you would give
    Thanks for your time and thoughts
    Lasthillbilly

Hillbilly, I just came from that area today; we have a cabin near the Moose in that vicinity. I think someone in my family actually kayaked it in a day, but I can't be sure; I'll ask around. Of course, that was in an empty kayak. As I remember the sotry, there was a lot of low, overhead branches in the way in many places.

Water level SHOULD be pretty low, HOWEVER, I urge to watch the weather reports for rainfall for the 2 week period preceding your trip. Excessive rainfall causes the Moose to flood its banks and to run VERY fast. As an example, check the rainfall reports for the 2 week period preceding the Aug. 10 season opener. When I got there on the 9th, the Moose was WAY over its banks, as was every other creek in the area, and the water flow was fast and furious. (Class 2 in my area, probably worse in others.) Currently, the Moose is running normal, but watch for snags; high water tends to wash debris into the river.

As to using a canoe or raft, I can't really answer. I am a canoe person myself; it's what I''m comfortable with. I suggest that you ask yourself which are you most confident in. Remember that, if you do get a Moose (good luck on that BTW) you'll be loading your canoe with what? 500lbs of meat? Plus your gear and you? How confident are you handling a canoe that heavily laden. can your canoe even handle that load on flat water? Ask yourself the same question about a raft. Remember that an improperly loaded canoe can be difficult even in good conditions.

Another thing to think about is how you are getting out. As I understand it, once past the confluence with the Desshka, you're actually down stream of Deshka Landing. I'm told you either have to motor upriver to the Landing, or paddle down to a place below Talkeetna or something.

Unfortunately, that's about all I can offer you. I ran into some hunters there this morning who said that they heard that there had been 2 moose taken there so far, but in my 6 years of going there, I've seen lots of moose-never seen a legal one, though. My sister n law's sister got one 2 seasons back, but she went for miles on a 4 wheeler to find it.

PS: Watch for black bear. We see them often enough walking the Moose and its tributary creeks. I'm headed back up there next weekend, if there is something or some place specific you want me to check.

Can't offer much because I've never done it. But I can correct one thing from the above post. The mouth of the Deshka is below Deshka landing. That's the closest spot to the road. If you go downstream from the mouth of the Deshka you will not see a road until you cross Knik Arm to Anchorage...which I would NOT recommend trying.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Thanks, Marty, for the correction.