Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FamilyMan/mainer_in_ak caribou hunting by canoe pictures:

Great Pictures and congrats on filling the tags!!

Hmmm....honey on the fence wire breaks cows and horses from challenging the the fence...first lick gets their attention real quick. Maybe bacon grease on the fence for bears....50K volts on the nose or tongue works like the first time you pee on the fence after being told not to do so....don't ask how I know.

EXcellent pictures Mainer. A couple of good looking canoes there.

Those were some great pictures you guys had, and one fun outing I bet! Tried to give you and FB some love, but the **** system will not let me. Anyways, Thanks for Sharing my friend!!! Hey, I jusst broke the Thousand Mark!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Those were some great pictures you guys had, and one fun outing I bet! Tried to give you and FB some love, but the **** system will not let me. Anyways, Thanks for Sharing my friend!!! Hey, I jusst broke the Thousand Mark!!!!!
    ok I sent some around for you to both parties involved for these great pics, thanks again. Gonna take me another year and a half to get to the k mark
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    ok I sent some around for you to both parties involved for these great pics, thanks again. Gonna take me another year and a half to get to the k mark
    Thanks IR!!!!

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    I can't see anything at those links. Are they posted wrong, or am I looking at them wrong?

Thanks for trying chico; btw, IR did do that for you as he said a few posts previous (thanks IR too).

Default fun outing!

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Those were some great pictures you guys had, and one fun outing I bet!
    You nailed it chico; it was quite a fun outing, and mainer is the very best to be in the field with (or in the city, for that matter, but that is less fun).

Mainer and I did share and agree on the one fault of our outing: it was too short!

What!!! A Mainer not using an Old Town canoe? What the heck is the world coming!
    Looks like a great time, congratulations on the trip and your success and thanks for the pictures.

Default blasphemy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    What!!! A Mainer not using an Old Town canoe? What the heck is the world coming!
    And even more blasphemous, he will shortly begin to manufacture canoes himself. Just yesterday he procured the manufacturing headquarters. This guy knows more about canoes than anyone I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    he will shortly begin to manufacture canoes himself.
    Need to start an order list. I'm very interested in one shallow water freighter.

If all goes well over the winter, I should have an 18 ft. model and a 22 ft. model. One will be made to work best with the 12 horse copperhead (which performs more like a 20 horse by the way) and a 22 ft. made to work best with the future 18 horse copperhead. If the customer goes this route, I'll take care of the package deal and will give a discount if the customer chooses copperhead. If the customer wants to go the mud buddy mini route, than I'm sure there's a dealer in anchorage. New and exciting things are coming from the Copperhead folks too btw which I'm to remain private about until I can do some testing.

Mainer,
    Have you tried the copperhead 12 on a Hudson Bay? I have a Hudson Bay with a 15 Honda 4-stroke, but would really like to go with a surface drive. One of the areas I hunt has a hp restriction, so I would be limited to the 12hp. Let me know what you think.

akcarv ...Where are you located? And what are the HP limits there?

Rick,
    I'm in Soldotna, but one of the waterfowl areas I hunt has a hp restriction. It's in the Valley and gets its share of traffic. No other areas that I know of have hp restrictions that would effect me.

Quote Originally Posted by akcarv View Post
    Mainer,
    Have you tried the copperhead 12 on a Hudson Bay? I have a Hudson Bay with a 15 Honda 4-stroke, but would really like to go with a surface drive. One of the areas I hunt has a hp restriction, so I would be limited to the 12hp. Let me know what you think.
    For your specific criteria, the 12 hp would work great. I haven't tried it on a Hudson bay as the last time I've been in a Hudson bay was about a decade ago. If you would like a test run, I could try the motor on your hudson bay after moose hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    For your specific criteria, the 12 hp would work great. I haven't tried it on a Hudson bay as the last time I've been in a Hudson bay was about a decade ago. If you would like a test run, I could try the motor on your hudson bay after moose hunting season.
    We've threatened to put Mainer's motor on my Albany (same as your HB except about 3 feet shorter) but time constraints have kept us from having that fun yet. If we do, we'll post up a report. I'm sure it would work, myself.

Great trip report with tons of info. You guys are going to make me add a canoe to my stable.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Great trip report with tons of info. You guys are going to make me add a canoe to my stable.

Steve
    Stid,
    I pushed an estimated 1700 lbs of persons, dog, gear, and supplies up some pretty crazy class ll/class lll water with my prototype. I've gone right over the top of rocks while standing (I have witnesses). This is a true shallow water type boat for sure with a surface drive. It is much different than your old Jet/Zodiac set up because you can go creepy slow or fast, and have about 2000 lb. load capcity. Fast whitewater.......drop that to 1,500 lbs. Another thing.........made in Alaska (not south Korea). Some people pay more for one ATV/with atv meat trailer than what one of these freighters with motor would cost. An important thing to think about with the cost of fuel, and unstable economy. It sure keeps the price of salmon/caribou/bear/moose meat down. I like to add the cost of my gear and divide each dollar by the amount of meat per pound.....it's fun! Still filling the freezer though.....boatin aint over yet.

100 miles against the Yukon River with 1,200 pounds: 10 gallons of gas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast