Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PWS King Crab Fishery?

Default PWS King Crab Fishery?

Has anyone participated in this subsistence fishery recently? Is it difficult to obtain the subsistence permit? Any advice for this fishery?

Go deep, the survey information that fish and game has on the golden king crab says that they are deep. They did some surveys in knight island passage.

FishinHank,
    Where would one find said info of the surveys done?
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by FishinHank View Post
    Go deep, the survey information that fish and game has on the golden king crab says that they are deep. They did some surveys in knight island passage.
    Yep. Every once in a while we'll pull one up on a circle hook while longlining for sablefish. Generally we're targeting fish in 1,800-2,500' of water, so that's where I would drop crab pots if targeting kings in the Sound.

I will see if I can find the pdf again and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    FishinHank,
    Where would one find said info of the surveys done?
    BK
    Here ya go-
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidPDFs/sp08-02.pdf

I guess pulling by hand is out of the question..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep. Every once in a while we'll pull one up on a circle hook while longlining for sablefish. Generally we're targeting fish in 1,800-2,500' of water, so that's where I would drop crab pots if targeting kings in the Sound.

Does anybody know the criteria for being a "subsistence" crab fisher?

FishinHank,
    Thanks for the info.

Ice,
    Check regs for subsistence qualifications.

BK

This survey [a bit dated] and regulations make my head hurt. The regs are contradictive and did anyone else see in the survey where it says if you participate in another crab fishery you may not participate in this one? Is anyone willing to admit to fishing for crabs in PWS and tell us how you did? If you don't want to go public please PM me as I am seriously planning on dropping crab pots this season. That said, after last season's Emergency Order if the ADFG doesn't like what they see during their June K-Bay Tanner survey this may be the only option.
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinHank View Post

i set out between perry and long in about 300' no luck in 3 days. before i left i asked my dad who has caught 1000's, how deep to set he said about 100'. when i returned home he said he that the 100' was for juneau, because thats all the farther he had to go to catch the loads of crab.

For what it's worth, I'll reiterate that we pull 'em up on longline hooks a couple times each summer from 2,000' or more. I imagine that if there are two or three that happen to get their joint caught on a hook that there must be a bunch more down there. If I were going to set out a king crab pot in the Sound, I would go as deep as possible.

Here's the pertinent portion of the abstract:

However, in March 2004 ADF&G attained funding and initiated a 3 year survey to index the relative abundance nd monitor the status of the golden king crab in Western PWS. Data obtained over the course of a 3 year survey indicates that golden king crab abundance in the Knight Island Passage are of western PWS may be steady but is low. The combination of low (and many zero) catches to the north and south of the Passage, and that data only show relative growth in adult cohorts with extremely low numbers of small (young) crabs and very low recruitment are of concern for the resource, area managers and potential resource users.

To summarize the summary: there aren't many out there to begin with and for some reason young crabs are not growing up and joining adults...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Here's the pertinent portion of the abstract:

However, in March 2004 ADF&G attained funding and initiated a 3 year survey to index the relative abundance nd monitor the status of the golden king crab in Western PWS. Data obtained over the course of a 3 year survey indicates that golden king crab abundance in the Knight Island Passage are of western PWS may be steady but is low. The combination of low (and many zero) catches to the north and south of the Passage, and that data only show relative growth in adult cohorts with extremely low numbers of small (young) crabs and very low recruitment are of concern for the resource, area managers and potential resource users.

To summarize the summary: there aren't many out there to begin with and for some reason young crabs are not growing up and joining adults...
    Codfish and dogfish are eating them all!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Codfish and dogfish are eating them all!!
    Is that your theory? Not judging it in any way, just curious...I talked to a commercial fisherman on Kodiak whose theory was that otters were eating the younger ones. Must be something going on, PWS used to have a commercial K-crab fishery....

I sampled a halibut out of Whittier back in 2000 that had four juvenile king crab in it's belly.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I sent this to IceKing and thought it would be some good info for all to know before they start setting pots in 600+ ft.

If you are really going to try for goldens there are a few things you need to realize.

1. You are going to need a heavy pot! 200-300lbs on the light side.

2. They are really deep. 100fa on the sallow end.

3. You need to have a hard ball on your buoy train to bring your main buoys back up after they get sucked down.

Fishing that deep with pot gear is tricky. the biggest problem I see when personal use guys try and catch goldens is that they don't do it during the low end of the tidal cycle. Your buoys WILL go under and may only come up for a short amount of time during the slack. The size of the line is kind of a trade off, the thicker the line the more drag it is going to have and the longer your buoys will stay down. But you want something that is going to be able to get your pot off the bottom if it gets stuck. Goldens live on rocky bottoms and getting your pot stuck is a real possibility.

Mallardman (and anybody else pot-fishing crabs)

I SCOFF at the notion that the tidal cycle will be able do anything to sink my buoy! I've got a Polyform A5 sitting in the yard just WAITING for the chance to keep 2500' of line from sinking into Poseiden's lair. HA! A 300lb pot is NO MATCH for 1640lbs of buoyancy!!!

IceKing02

PS...The Polyform A5 IS available to rent or purchase! I'd say that it would only cost some arms and legs (of a golden king crab) but that might get me in trouble with the troopers...

I've got quite a bit of deck room and i have to be careful how i pile my rope, be careful what your doing!
    P6120353.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Only problem I see with crab is you need to process it, I mean cook it, before it dies. Dungeness are the easiest becaue you can cook them whole and refigurate whole tell you get areound to claning them. Tanner are small enough that you could probable do the same than section them later, have never cooked tanner. I butchered my fair share of King crab at Seward Fish back in the 70s and its a messy process, but when you are done the leg sections need to be cooked immediately.

If I were going to drop king crab pots it would be in hopes of catching something for dinner.

Think I will continue to catch my king at Costco.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast