Thread: White mtn herd

Default White mtn herd

Has anyone on here actually ran into this herd? What posts I have read guys have seen nothing... Just curious that's all also does fish and game have an actual count on the total animals in this herd.

they are on the north side of the whites. I've seen big groups from an airplane. sometimes they stray over towards the steese hwy, but not very often.

thanks just curious thats all so if one wanted a caribou probably best to get a plan ride over there.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    thanks just curious thats all so if one wanted a caribou probably best to get a plan ride over there.
    if one wanted a caribou go east, go west, go north, but to go for bou this herd ain't yer best option.

i been out there, some cabins (i think blm) back in there. blm has a wht mnt rec area map and f&g has stats and herd info to tell you how poor your chance are there but it is a great place to go, just not yer best for bou. it is a good get away from the masses at more popular areas
    edit signature here

I never go in there intentionally hunting caribou, but I always take a harvest ticket. The only times I've ever seen them I've been quite a ways in and not there specifically to hunt caribou. There are a lot of better places to go if you really want to kill caribou, but there is relatively little hunting pressure from what I've seen.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I will probably never hunt this herd I will go up the Haul road and chase caribou... I have heard of this elusive herd I guess I should of asked does anyone have pictures of this herd?

i don't think they are as much of a "herd" as much as they are more of a "resident caribou" if you know the term. but, in #2 full freeze did say he seen em in some numbers. perhaps a pm is in order?

i've hunted em and never got one, and i likely will again though i may never get one. the cabins and beautiful area make it a nice hunt. but if i really wanted a caribou? so many other realistic choices to get one
    edit signature here

I have seen them in groups of 20-50 on some high ridges out the window of a plane but can't imagine that one would have much success trying for them without lenient land and shoot regulations. Oh, and a heck of a good cub pilot!

Seems like I remember reading something last year in the early part of winter about some folks who were successful hunting the area; however, there was some confusion as the caribou harvested may have been more associated to the 40-Mile herd.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger15 View Post
    Seems like I remember reading something last year in the early part of winter about some folks who were successful hunting the area; however, there was some confusion as the caribou harvested may have been more associated to the 40-Mile herd.

yes some times the 40 mile herd spills over into the white mountain hunt area & is fair game as harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    yes some times the 40 mile herd spills over into the white mountain hunt area & is fair game as harvest.
    Same thing with the Denali herd. Some times they cross the parks and become Nelchina caribou... It's like magic!

I saw a cow and calf while hunting and riding the ATV in the Whites a few years ago. There are a few animals in there.