Thread: The Mrs first hunt

Default The Mrs first hunt

We are back from our first hunt together and her first hunt and kill. We have been planning this hunt for about a year now. She said she wanted to go hunting and that is what we set out to do. We purchased her a rifle during the winter and worked together to work up a load that the rifle liked. We spent days at the range and talked alot about where to shoot a animal and the do's and don'ts of hunting.
    Saterday moring we headed out on the Denali hwy, finally starting our hunt. We went back on the ranger 20 miles without seeing a single animal. I was getting nervous until we finally seen a nice bull. I asked the honey if she wanted to try and I think it all came to her at once that all the work we had done came down to this moment. We stalked up to within 235 yds and sat there watching the bull. We had agreed that the limit would be around a hundred yards so we were in a bind with no cover to get closer. The Bou sensed we were there and took off over a hill. It would stop everyonce in awhile but never give us a good shot and it was gaining yardage too. we crept over to the top of the hill and seen him at about 150 yds but wouldn't give us a shot before it ran off again. We watched it go into a gully and I knew it was our time to run up without being seed to get a close shot. By the time we got to the edge we were both tires. It was raining buckets and our gear was getting soaked. As we looked around he was no where to be seen. I was heart broke that we lost him. I mentioned that we should head back to the rig and try again on th next one. I suggested that we walk the edge of the gully and then turn towards the rig. As we got close to turinging she spot him starring at us. We got down and just watched him stare at us. Our scopes were soaked and kept fogging up and I was getting frustrated at the darn rain. The honey sat there and was able to clean her scope enough to see pretty good. I told her to get ready and I was going to walk the ridge and try to get him to turn and to shoot as soon as he does. We had already broken the 100 yd rule as this bull was at 200 yds in the worse weather I had ever hunted in.
    Once I started the walk I put my rifle over my head and he turned. I told her to take the shot and BOOM! He spun around and started wandering and I told her to hit him again. She yelled and said she can't. She had got scope bite, and pretty good at that. I ran to her to see lots of blood running down her face. I paniced to say the least. She kept telling me to finish her caribou so I turned around, told her to get to the rig and put the final round in the bou and dropped it. I ran back to the rig, which was over a half mile away and took another look at her. It was the worse scope bite I had seen. It was down to the bone. We put it back together with steristrips and she wante to see her bou. She never cried a tear and wanted to stay even though I wanted to take her in for stiches. we finally got it butchered and set up camp for the night.
    we stayed two nights and had a blast. she will have a scare with a story with it! It made me the proudest husband ever...P8200656.jpg

Here is a good picture of the two of us...Even with her head banged up!P8200658.jpgP8210666.jpg

I had to bag something too...P8210669.jpgP8210673.jpg

Nicely done! I think anyone who has ever shot a high-powered rifle has gotten scope bit at one time or another. The sting fades, but those memories - man, those are gold. Thanks for sharing the story and the picture. There are few things better than a wife as a hunting partner.

Well done. My wife shot here first bull last summer and unfortunately was sick for this years trip. She missed it everyday. You'll have a hunting partner for life now.

Great job. I bet you are proud. Congrats to the Mrs.

I think Brian stated it well. Glad to hear that she is a trooper and handled it well, says alot about her and that she is a keeper. Congrats to you both.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Congrats to you both. Memories of that first hunt will linger always. We've all tangled with the edge of that eyepiece. I'm sure she will be aware of that as shooting positions in the field bring you closer than you want!

She is a keeper. She wants to go back out but doesn't know if she wants to shoot yet. We will spend some more time at the range and get her over her fear.