Thread: What Downriggers should I buy?

Default What Downriggers should I buy?

Just looking for some dos and donts on the downrigger subject. I think Ive got some picked out but would like to here what others are using. Ill be using them primarily in the ocean for winter Kings and such.( out of Homer)

Default Cannon Uni-Troll

I've got one of these Cannon Uni-Troll Downrigger. A very solid, reliable unit. I've had to replace the original clip with a Scotty Power and Mini-Power Grip Plus Releases (which is a friction clip rather than a snap clip like the original). I've also put a bungy-like cord between the ball and the cable to prevent shock on the line when I drop the rig over the side.

I've had this Cannon for almost 10 years (we bought it as a wedding present to ourselves) and it has been very reliable.

I have two Canons with the extendable boom. No problems so far. But I would like to sell them and add electric units.
    Electrics are nice but pricey.
    Tennessee

Unhappy

I bought a very nice pair of Scotty downriggers that could extend to 60". Then I read the instructions and discovered they were too long (when extended) for my 16' boat. No need to repeat my mistake.

Thumbs up Easi-Troll 2 are cheap and they work great!

I use Cannon Easi-Troll 2 they are in-expensive and donít have a very long boom, however I have found with a little common sense and care they work great!! I would like to have electric ones, although Iím having a hard time justifying the cost and besides I figure a little arm exercise is good for me.
    I use them on a 24í Bayliner on fixed bases.

Now if some one would move all that ice out of Homer harbor we could get started!

Depends On Your Budget..........if You Can Afford Em And Gonna Use Em All The Time I Would Get Electrics....i Have The Digi Troll 4's
    They Are Great. Fast. Can Run At 3 Speeds. Jigging Computer Built Into Them........but They Are 1200-1300 Dollars. The Cannons Have Electrics That Are Slow Speed Mag 10 And Higher Speed Mag 20
    The Scotties Use Less Amps To Pull Same Size Ball And Can Pull A Heavier Ball 15 Lb Vs 12 Lb. This Would Be Something To Consider If Trolling Deep. If Only Gonna Use Occasionally And Want To Go Low Budget Get A Couple Of Hand Cranks. I Have Never Owned Scotties But Have Owned 4 Different Models Of Canon.

Charterboat Operator

http://www.berrysbait.com/1/01/1003.htm

Try these guys out. i have fished my Scotty electrics for 5-6 seasons now and have had 0 problems with them, i use them 60-65 days a year and absolutly love em'.

Default Cannon pricing

Anybody have a ready suggestion for the best (cheapest) place to go looking for another Cannon Uni-troll? Cheapest I can find on the web right now is $280...

I don't know if Trustworthy in Soldotna has that particular model but when I bought mine they were definetly the cheapest place.

I have a pair of Scotty electric #1106. I love them. I see a lot of boats w/ Cannon as well. When you buy them make sure that you get swivel bases and extendable boom. I use these features on every trip. I purchased mine at B & J. The prices were about the same as everywhere else.
    Good Luck and Good Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
    Depends On Your Budget..........if You Can Afford Em And Gonna Use Em All The Time I Would Get Electrics....i Have The Digi Troll 4's
    They Are Great. Fast. Can Run At 3 Speeds. Jigging Computer Built Into Them........but They Are 1200-1300 Dollars. The Cannons Have Electrics That Are Slow Speed Mag 10 And Higher Speed Mag 20
    The Scotties Use Less Amps To Pull Same Size Ball And Can Pull A Heavier Ball 15 Lb Vs 12 Lb. This Would Be Something To Consider If Trolling Deep. If Only Gonna Use Occasionally And Want To Go Low Budget Get A Couple Of Hand Cranks. I Have Never Owned Scotties But Have Owned 4 Different Models Of Canon.
    Does anything out there BESIDES the DigiTroll IV have the "memory pre-set depths"? I love being able to press recall twice and run and know that I'm going to 60' - like the memory presets on a radio.

I can't find a description of that feature on anything else. I'd sure love to switch to a less spendy or more durable set of electrics, but I guess I can keep swapping 7 of them around when one fries a board, etc.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]